Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

HELP - MacGyver Fix Needed for upper fuse holder for fuel pump fuse.

HELP - MacGyver Fix Needed for upper fuse holder for fuel pump fuse. I need a simple fix for the fuse holder for the fuel pump fuse.
After reading all the previous posts, it seems my fuse box may need a major over haul in the future. But in the meantime I'm looking how to fix the loose or deformed plastic seat that the upper fuse holder snaps into.
The plastic hole seems loose or deformed that the accepts the metal upper upper fuse holder.
So this upper fuse holder now is on a slight angle and the fuse may become loose or not seated tightly in the near future and will get me stranded at the worst time.
Is there a way to get that upper fuse holder seated better and less on an angle so the fuse fits tighter.
I've bent up the lower holder, but I don't feel that the connections will remain tight to the upper and lower fuse ends.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
I know there must be a MacGyver out there
Thanks !
Old 08-04-2011, 09:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Can you post a pic? I would go get a inline fuse holder and install it across where the ceramic fuse used to be this problem was the reason I did a complete fuse panel redo and got rid of the glitchy ceramic fuses.
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 08-05-2011, 03:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Go here....

fuel pump,yellow relays, and mysteries

See the first post and the picture of the MacGyver fix I did with a standard glass Buss fuse. Further down you'll see where someone did a complete swap of all fuses using standard blade-type fuses.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Hi Mark,
Great write up you did on the dreaded most common pump failure problem that we all share.
Misery loves company. Now I won't feel alone when I get stuck somewhere without my pumps running. I'm surprised that such a poor electrical design wasn't corrected earlier by Porsche.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

This is the infamous Lee Rice mod that apparently puts an end to the FP Fuse/relay problems.

930 fuel pump relay wiring - once and for all

Also, had some problems with the relay under the seat, and my brother took the time to read thru the FSM wiring diagrams to explain how it all works:

my explanation to tim on how it worked:
look at the fuel circuit as 2 seperate circuits. one is the 2 FP relays, the yellow relay(contacts), the rev limiter, and the pressure switch. the other circuit is the yellow relay(coil) and the AFM switch.
the AFM switch removes ground from the yellow relay, de-energizing it when the engine is running.
the FP circuit gets its ground through the contacts of the yellow, then the rev limiter then to the pressure switch.
all the yellow relay is doing is energizing the 2 FP relays. the yellow relay is also (?) what gives the 1-2 sec FP run before starting.

to trouble shoot: no particular order.
with key on
1 ground the wire at the pressure switch. FP should run
2 remove the connector on the AFM or push down on the plate to energize the yellow relay. FP should also run.
3 check for power and ground on the connector to the AFM.
4 jumper pins 30 to 87a on the YEL realy:
the FP relays should energize
power on pin 1 of the rev limiter
power on the wire going to the pressure switch. (wire removed from switch).
(if there is no power on this wire, but there is power on pin 1 of the rev limiter, the rev limiter is bad)
5 jump pins 30 to 87 on both FP relays to test FP's

( this is assuming fuses and wiring are good)

you can really start anywhere.

i am not a 930 guy, this is just based on the drawing and what little i have done on tims car, mostly over the phone.

Last edited by timc; 08-05-2011 at 05:40 AM..
Old 08-05-2011, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY930 View Post
Hi Mark,
Great write up you did on the dreaded most common pump failure problem that we all share.
Misery loves company. Now I won't feel alone when I get stuck somewhere without my pumps running. I'm surprised that such a poor electrical design wasn't corrected earlier by Porsche.
And after all those gyrations over a long period of time, I suspect that the culprit may all along have been the relay under the seat...which I just fixed about a month ago.
The lesson: Check all the obvious relays and switches and fuses and connections as already described. If the problem still persists, reach under the seat and give that relay a sharp rap (kinda hard to reach, unfortunately...I eventually mounted mine further toward the rear of the car to facilitate easy reach). It may or may not speak to you as the problem.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Wow, I can't believe how helpful all you guys are.
This seems to be such a common problem.
You know what they say "Misery Loves Company".
Old 08-05-2011, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Wayah Road Warrior

Here is my interpretation of the Lee Rice mod ...

930 Fuel Pump Fuse Overload - The Solution
Old 08-06-2011, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: