Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

3 Holes in deck lid..

Hi,

I have a UK '81/930, and ive always wondered why ive got 3 holes in the back of my deck lid..

I thought perhaps its for a 3rd brake light or something.

Anyone know?
Old 08-05-2011, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Yep - ET / alien looking / thrid brake light install...
At least your is clean looking - on my car they mis-judged the location when the PO added a third brake light upon importation and my holes look like a drunk one eyed redneck went to town with a hand drill and a dull bit... I'm going to have it repaired shortly once I get my car back and into the paint shop for a front and rear bumper spray.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Why would they have third brake light holes on an '81?

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 08-05-2011, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

maybe someone replaced it with a USA lid for a late '86 or early '87 car when they used that goofy third brakelight on the lid.
i don't know if euro cars ever got the third brake lights after '86.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
maybe someone replaced it with a USA lid for a late '86 or early '87 car
That was my initial thought but I didn't know if things were different in Europe and they used the light earlier than us.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 08-05-2011, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I ripped mine off last night. I got a spare if anyone is interested in plugging up their holes. Also, wonder what it would cost to repair/paint over those holes?
Old 08-05-2011, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzer Slayer View Post
I ripped mine off last night. I got a spare if anyone is interested in plugging up their holes. Also, wonder what it would cost to repair/paint over those holes?
If they just body hammer tap and bevel in the edges of the holes and bondo over them and repaint the lid the plastic filler will shrink from sunlight heat cycles in a short time and there will be ugly dimples where the holes were.

If the holes are brazed or welded up then ground and sanded flush and then painted the work will cost more and you'll never have dimples where the holes were.

Final price depends on your geographic location and labor rates.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Yeah I'm going to weld mine up prior to bodyshop...
I scored a rear decklid spoiler from the classifieds that I will test fit and see - it's the Getty 3.6 turbo spoiler - it may even cover that area up - but I'm still welding them shut.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: