Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

AAV - anyone run without?

Hey everyone,
I would like to here from those who have pluggged their AAV or removed it entirely from their CIS system.

1.) How does your car behave during cold starts?

2.) Why did you decide to remove it?

3.) if someone gave you a free, brand new AAV - would you reinstall it?

Thanks for the time answering these questions, I can't find mine, decided to just plug the tube coming off of the throttle body, and have now been mulling in my head how my car will run without it (while it is at the fabricator), and I'm unsure of if I should buy another and plumb it back into the system.

E-man
Old 08-06-2011, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
Removed, trying to resolve a hot start issue. Only thing noticeable that it did was louder popping on decel, but mine might have been partially defective anyway. If a new was given I might reinstall, but right now its not worth the $$$ to buy.
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'74 914 track basket-case
Old 08-06-2011, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Did that years ago. If you live in a warm climate you'll never miss it. In a cold climate the engine will need a couple minutes for the idle to recover up to normal.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Blitzkrieg

Same as Rarely, un-plugged and hoses are plugged. Idles fine, if not better! I don't drive it in the winter though.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
Daily driver in the Washington, DC area (except when the snow is higher than the fenders). No Auxiliary Air Valve (also known as Secondary Air Gate or Auxiliary Air Regulator), no vacuum limiter, no air diverter valve, no switch over valve, no check valve x 2. OK, those last four are all part of the Secondary Air Injection system and I have it now in my secondary parts bin.

Results - runs better, starts require a 1/4" press of the accelerator when it is cold (just like it used to be on all cars) to offset the spray from the cold start valve. I think it is a bit quieter, too.

Mark
Old 08-07-2011, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

thanks guys - well I'll leave it as is - no AAV for me.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

You could probably add an MFI type hand throttle to the e-brake assembly, if you needed a faster idle for cold days.

Just a lever and an adjustable stop block on the throttle rod.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks Win - I'll just deal with it for now as I plan on pulling all of this CIS crap off this winter.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinRice View Post
You could probably add an MFI type hand throttle to the e-brake assembly, if you needed a faster idle for cold days.

Just a lever and an adjustable stop block on the throttle rod.
I've always preferred full manual control over old bosch mechanical cold start throttle body air bypass devices that work good on a real cold start but are always wrong on a warm restart where the idle will be too high for a few minutes.

The hand lever next to the emergency brake that works against a stop on the linkage rod in the center tunnel below it like they installed on some older 911's is perfect.

Another way to do it would be a similar hand lever attached to a cable (a cheap generic lawn mower throttle cable or manual choke cable would work) going to a 944 plastic heater valve Pelican Parts - Product Information: 944-572-085-02-M53 you can install in the throttle body bypass hose where the AAV was. The 2 hose connections are the same size and it would fit and work there but would'nt look pretty.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
The hand lever next to the emergency brake that works against a stop on the linkage rod in the center tunnel below it like they installed on some older 911's is perfect.
Yep, I had one on my old '72 MFI car. Dead simple and reliable. Oh the good ol' days of simplicity!
Old 08-07-2011, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I plugged my AAV/AAR just to see how it started without it on a 70 degree day. Slightly less idle speed for the first minute and that was the only difference. Will be doing another test in the winter.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinRice View Post
Yep, I had one on my old '72 MFI car. Dead simple and reliable. Oh the good ol' days of simplicity!
Those were great, I also used mine as poor man's cruise control on my old 70 and 71!
Old 08-07-2011, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
one of the great unwashed

Not sure about the 930, but the AAV and AAR are two distinct different devices on an SC CIS system.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patkeefe View Post
Not sure about the 930, but the AAV and AAR are two distinct different devices on an SC CIS system.
I have seen it called both that is why I posted AAV/AAR.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
so all this AAV talk got me out to the garage to play around...

i also had a pretty solid idle, but sometimes would get a little bouncy on cold starts...

so i removed the hose going from the intercooler to the AAV, used two shelby mustang caps (added 30whp), to cap intercooler and AAV. I shined a light into the AAV and it was "half open ish" (not sure if that makes sense, but i could see through it...not sure if this is correct or its stuck

started car, car seemed to be super quite right off the bat for some reason, idle dropped about 200rpms, so i turned the idle screw a smidge to raise idle back to about 600ish, and seems to be idling perfect, but car does seem a bit quiter, again, no sure if this is normal?

i am pulling about 15-16in vacuum at idle, again, not sure if this is correct

before i was pulling about 14ish

Last edited by jimtweet; 08-08-2011 at 06:54 AM..
Old 08-08-2011, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
If you take a look at the picture posted above you can see both the AAV and AAR have been removed. I have a hand throttle from a '73MFI but never installed it. For me that is a better solution than the kluge of CIS crap. However, if you like a more modern feel of get in crank it and go then all these devices do a good job when working properly.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
rarly8, does any of these seem correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtweet View Post
so all this AAV talk got me out to the garage to play around...

i also had a pretty solid idle, but sometimes would get a little bouncy on cold starts...

so i removed the hose going from the intercooler to the AAV, used two shelby mustang caps (added 30whp), to cap intercooler and AAV. I shined a light into the AAV and it was "half open ish" (not sure if that makes sense, but i could see through it...not sure if this is correct or its stuck

started car, car seemed to be super quite right off the bat for some reason, idle dropped about 200rpms, so i turned the idle screw a smidge to raise idle back to about 600ish, and seems to be idling perfect, but car does seem a bit quiter, again, no sure if this is normal?

i am pulling about 15-16in vacuum at idle, again, not sure if this is correct

before i was pulling about 14ish
Old 08-08-2011, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
i just wanted to check back...

i just took car for about a hour drive,...parked it back into the garage, and took the cap off the AAV, and it is completely closed...so i guess mine is working properly

now if i could only figure out my turn signal problem...
Old 08-08-2011, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: