Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to laughac
Thinking of trading my complete '87 3.3 turbo engine for 3.2

Time is slipping by and I'm losing confidence in my ability to learn how to manage the CIS on my '87 turbo engine.

Since I already have a nice BAE turbo kit, it's been suggested that I simply use a running 3.2 engine with EFI instead.

Thoughts?
1924 Model T Ford touring
Fleet of Ford Buses, Sedans, SUVs and Limos
Old 08-12-2011, 04:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Champagne on Beer Budget

Garage
EFI the turbo motor

www.einarsgarage.com
Instagram @einars_garage
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Einars-Garage/375533809160797
Old 08-12-2011, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelmetHead View Post
EFI the turbo motor
yes
Old 08-12-2011, 06:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I bought a complete 930 engine with no known problems. However, from my experience with CIS I don't feel confident that I will be able to diagnose any future problems or do much tuning other than twisting the mixture occasionally.

EFI is the way to go, but I may be thousands of dollars and months away from making that happen.

None of the EFI choices seem much better than starting with the 3.2 EFI setup. With that in mind, why not just save time by simply installing my BAE on a 3.2?

That said, I blew up my 2.7 with the BAE kit, lol.

My mechanic advised me to just get a complete 3.2 and I now agree.

Someone should probably want to trade a complete running 3.2 for a complete 3.3 turbo engine that has been sitting, right?

Last edited by laughac; 08-12-2011 at 06:44 AM..
Old 08-12-2011, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I would take it to a P mechanic who is intimate with turbos & cis for a look over before I would consider a swap.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
R.I.P.

I don't see how that is easier or cheaper.

For under $3k you can buy the injector blocks ( $1200 ), Injectors ($300), MS2 with relay board, harnesses, EDIS6 coil, crank sensor kit ($900), misc pieces ($300) then sell your 930 fuel head, dizzy and related hardware for around $2k and be free from the confines a shop miles from you sending a mail order chip that probably won't work great the first time out.

Then you will still have a motor built from the factory to handle boost very well. I just made 450rwhp from my stock 3.3 EFI motor
Old 08-12-2011, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmatera View Post
I don't see how that is easier or cheaper.

For under $3k you can buy the injector blocks ( $1200 ), Injectors ($300), MS2 with relay board, harnesses, EDIS6 coil, crank sensor kit ($900), misc pieces ($300) then sell your 930 fuel head, dizzy and related hardware for around $2k and be free from the confines a shop miles from you sending a mail order chip that probably won't work great the first time out.

Then you will still have a motor built from the factory to handle boost very well. I just made 450rwhp from my stock 3.3 EFI motor
Holy cow! Thanks for the parts list!
Now I have a new, acheivable goal!
Heck, 300hp is all I need. (or so I say today)

Since I have the 3.3 CIS and exhaust off now, I'll try selling those first.
Anyone? Bueller?
Old 08-12-2011, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
R.I.P.

I put all my CIS stuff on eBay, It went for much more than I would have ever asked on here. The dizzy and box went for $235.... I almost pooped considering the complete EDIS-6 system I bought was $100.... Hows that for an upgrade
Old 08-12-2011, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
I put all my CIS stuff on eBay, It went for much more than I would have ever asked on here. The dizzy and box went for $235.... I almost pooped considering the complete EDIS-6 system I bought was $100.... Hows that for an upgrade
Ha! Great!

Wish me luck!

I may also sell my 2.7 CIS to rebuild it with carbs and hotter cams.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
R.I.P.

if you go Megasquirt try TBitz, He sells a nice "turn key" system
Old 08-12-2011, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
VEMS is a very nice, low cost EFI system too. Talk to Marc at EFI Express, he has been very helpful on my conversion.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
if you go Megasquirt try TBitz, He sells a nice "turn key" system
that any better than DIY autotune?
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 08-12-2011, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
R.I.P.

Ken, It's the same box but TBitz is a Porsche guy and I believe has a more direct fit system not to mention he sends the ECU loaded with a tune... That puts you ahead of the game
Old 08-12-2011, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Can you guys help me out by replying with links to the best sources for these parts?
I'm so tired and ashamed of my Porsche being a lump and my garage full of parts!
Thanks much, and I promise to post tons of embarrasing pics.

*EDIS6 coil
*crank sensor kit
*Megasquirt by TBitz and DIY
*VEMS, the low cost EFI system to consider
*injector blocks
*Injectors
*MS2 with relay board
*Anything else you recommend?
Old 08-27-2011, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Ken, It's the same box but TBitz is a Porsche guy and I believe has a more direct fit system not to mention he sends the ECU loaded with a tune... That puts you ahead of the game
cool is it tbitz.com? or do you have the link?
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 08-27-2011, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Let me get this right...you want to remove a 930 engine, and go backwards to a 3.2 so you can put EFI on it??

From your mechanic's standpoint, it's in HIS best interest to start going you to start going over a cliff financially to turbo a 3.2

In my opinion, turbo charging an engine that wasn't designed for forced induction will present a whole host of problems just to get it running right, and trying to find whats wrong with it when something does go south, may be a lot harder than 'standard' problems that go wrong with a 930 engine.

Might work good for a track car, but I would not go there for a street machine. If you can get 450-500HP with the current CIS with other upgrades, how much really more do you need?
Old 08-27-2011, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Agreed. I'm back to work on the 3.3 and considering the EFI options.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by laughac View Post
Can you guys help me out by replying with links to the best sources for these parts?
I'm so tired and ashamed of my Porsche being a lump and my garage full of parts!
Thanks much, and I promise to post tons of embarrasing pics.

*EDIS6 coil
*crank sensor kit
*Megasquirt by TBitz and DIY
*VEMS, the low cost EFI system to consider
*injector blocks
*Injectors
*MS2 with relay board
*Anything else you recommend?
I sourced a lot of my material from a local U-pick salvage yard, incuding several EDIS-6 controllers, coils, and VR sensors. Boost Engineering (Boost Engineering - Advanced Engine Management) is another source if you don't have a wrecking yard nearby. Ebay also frequently has EDIS parts for sale.
Clewett Engineering is a good source for Porsche specific EFI parts (Clewett Engineering, The complete solution for ignition & fuel injection). I sourced my crank pulley, VR sensor bracket, 60-2 wheel, cam sensor kit, and EDIS wires from him. I originally ran a 36-1 wheel (necessary for EDIS) from GSF which did not have the correct EDIS offset so had to modify the crank pulley.
If you go Megasquirt, I highly recommend buying a complete wiring harness from DIYaututune rather than attempt to build your own. Unless you have access to cheap bulk wire, you will spend more money and a lot more time trying to build your own.
The relay board I found to be more trouble than anything in the long run and have deleted it from my setup (it doesn't work well with MS3 anyway). It does simplify wiring initially but wasn't durable for me.
PS: For the cost of shipping, I'll gladly donate to you all of my leftover EDIS bits including a GSF crank pulley, 3 EDIS-6 coils, 3 EDIS-6 controllers, VR sensor, relay board, and any other bits I have lying around.

Last edited by sjf911; 08-28-2011 at 06:35 AM..
Old 08-28-2011, 06:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
+1 on Ebay for the EDIS. It beats rummaging through the junkyard in this heat (Texas) and it will be cleaned and tested. I just paid $79 shipped with an extra controller.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjf911 View Post
I sourced a lot of my material from a local U-pick salvage yard, incuding several EDIS-6 controllers, coils, and VR sensors. Boost Engineering (Boost Engineering - Advanced Engine Management) is another source if you don't have a wrecking yard nearby. Ebay also frequently has EDIS parts for sale.
Clewett Engineering is a good source for Porsche specific EFI parts (Clewett Engineering, The complete solution for ignition & fuel injection). I sourced my crank pulley, VR sensor bracket, 60-2 wheel, cam sensor kit, and EDIS wires from him. I originally ran a 36-1 wheel (necessary for EDIS) from GSF which did not have the correct EDIS offset so had to modify the crank pulley.
If you go Megasquirt, I highly recommend buying a complete wiring harness from DIYaututune rather than attempt to build your own. Unless you have access to cheap bulk wire, you will spend more money and a lot more time trying to build your own.
The relay board I found to be more trouble than anything in the long run and have deleted it from my setup (it doesn't work well with MS3 anyway). It does simplify wiring initially but wasn't durable for me.
PS: For the cost of shipping, I'll gladly donate to you all of my leftover EDIS bits including a GSF crank pulley, 3 EDIS-6 coils, 3 EDIS-6 controllers, VR sensor, relay board, and any other bits I have lying around.
Thanks for the links! I'm shopping now.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: