Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Grappler

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911TT33 View Post
Awesome conversion! Well done

Curious, where exactly did you drain the turbo oil to near the oil pressure switch? Is there a pre-existing tapped port there?

Thanks! That's the one issue I'm still working out. It's currently being drained to the spot next to the breather on top of the crankcase. There's a test fitting that was not in use, so I pulled it and got a metric to AN fitting. With the scavenge pump the system works, but not as well as I would like. The catch can fills up quickly so I need to leave the pump on for a few minutes after shutoff. Albert from GSF says that I'm returning the oil to the wrong spot because there is crankcase pressure there and at the same time, I'm trying to return there. He suggested that I run it directly to the oil tank. I've also seen a lot of people use the drain method to the crankcase via drain plug fitting, so I'm going to try pumping it back to the crankcase first. All I need is a $12.00 fitting and the return shot is less than a foot, so I'll try that first. My logic is that if some applications work with just a drain to the crankcase why wouldn't pumping it in be better? Plus the pump will act as a check valve so that oil wont drain back into the can and up to the turbo overnight. Again, that's what I think and I'll let you know if it works, but the top fitting doesn't seem to be the best place for my particular setup. If that doesn't work. I'll pull the oil tank and weld up an AN fitting. Mike, I'm waiting patiently for the D ZUG reflector.

1976 RSR Backdate (Turbo 3.2)
Old 08-28-2011, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Gravity draining to the oil drain port works very well, and the engine's oil pump has significant scavenge capacity which sucks the oil from the turbo and into the motor. Providing it's a decent downward slope, you won't have any issues with oil backing back up into the turbo
Old 08-28-2011, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Grappler

Garage
Quote:
Gravity draining to the oil drain port works very well, and the engine's oil pump has significant scavenge capacity which sucks the oil from the turbo and into the motor. Providing it's a decent downward slope, you won't have any issues with oil backing back up into the turbo

That's what I'm thinking, but I'm actually using the scavenge pump as well to pump it back into the drain port. I don't know if there's any drawback to pumping it back in vs gravity but I'll let everyone know how it works.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
7.0:1 > 11.3:1 > 7.0:1

Garage
Cool project. I enjoy seeing home brew and it's an interesting comparison you've described between the turbo and supercharger platforms, this is something I've been wondering about.

Early on you mention insufficient funds for standalone EFI, to which I'd like to contribute that if your AFRs are where you want them, and you have the timing curve you want then there won't be a whole heck of a lot to gain by going standalone.

I take your car is a 911 platform? 915 or 930 box?

Give us a side shot of your WHOLE car!
Old 08-28-2011, 09:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
JW Apostate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodsrsr View Post

Planning on Thunderhill next month. "Trackmasters" Bring your 914-6 (the new and improved wide version)

Oct 7th?

Let's do that!

KT
'74 914-6 2.6 SS #746
'01 Boxster
Old 08-28-2011, 10:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Grappler

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2 View Post
Cool project. I enjoy seeing home brew and it's an interesting comparison you've described between the turbo and supercharger platforms, this is something I've been wondering about.

Early on you mention insufficient funds for standalone EFI, to which I'd like to contribute that if your AFRs are where you want them, and you have the timing curve you want then there won't be a whole heck of a lot to gain by going standalone.

I take your car is a 911 platform? 915 or 930 box?

Give us a side shot of your WHOLE car!

That was my thinking as well on the stand alone. This year alone I've done a complete IROC conversion, Lindsey wheels, top end rebuild, web cams and turbo conversion, so putting out another 2, 3, 4k? on a standalone wasnt something I wanted to do. I'll save that for when I join the big dogs here over 1 bar. Gearbox is a rebulit 915 with LSD so thats another reason for not going too crazy just yet.
Overall with the car weighing in at around 2150 its pretty dam fast and it'll hold me over for a while. Here's an old shot of it with the former boost system;

Old 08-29-2011, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
WOW....love it.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Now slip in some 930 barrels and up the boost to 1.2 bar, adjust your fuel & timing, and you're in 500+ HP territory
Old 08-29-2011, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

I'm going Precision SC-61 eventually. How's the spool time?
Old 08-29-2011, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Grappler

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy View Post
I'm going Precision SC-61 eventually. How's the spool time?

With this configuration it starts to spool at around 2800 rpm, spools up quick and goes straight to full boost. When it hits, it hits hard.
911TT33....my next thread will be "joining the big dog boost club".

Old 08-29-2011, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Is this 4th or 1st gear you are referring to?
Old 08-29-2011, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Grappler

Garage
Cruising in 3rd and 4th seems to spool between 2800 and 3000. I think 1st gear with full boost may be bye bye 915.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Love to hear when you make boost in yours. My G-50 Carrera doesn't make boost until 5500RPM in 1st.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Grappler

Garage
Quote:
Love to hear when you make boost in yours. My G-50 Carrera doesn't make boost until 5500RPM in 1st.

If I had a G50, I'd be more than happy to tell you... I'll do a few test runs here coming up and post a vid. Waiting on a few AN fittings and then she'll be up and running again.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Grappler

Garage
My winter project will probable be a gearbox and axel update. What do all you high horsepower junkies recommend? 930 4 speed or G 50? I'm sure the G50 is more popular but is it noticeably better than the 930 box? Are there other drawbacks to the 930 gearbox other than less top end on the Texas mile? What is the most cost effective upgrade for around the 500 hp mark?

Old 08-30-2011, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Quote:
That's because there's not enough load on the engine to reach full boost earlier in first gear. A better test is in 2nd gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodsrsr View Post
My winter project will probable be a gearbox and axel update. What do all you high horsepower junkies recommend? 930 4 speed or G 50? I'm sure the G50 is more popular but is it noticeably better than the 930 box? Are there other drawbacks to the 930 gearbox other than less top end on the Texas mile? What is the most cost effective upgrade for around the 500 hp mark?
The 930 box has taller gearing for more top end speed, but the G50 will get up and go quicker. The G50 is a very tough g'box too, which can easily handle 500+. Mine has handled years of abuse, and it's a Carrera G50, not the G50/50
Old 08-30-2011, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Registered
Quote:
The 930 box has taller gearing for more top end speed, but the G50 will get up and go quicker. The G50 is a very tough g'box too, which can easily handle 500+. Mine has handled years of abuse, and it's a Carrera G50, not the G50/50

Can someone help me with the distinction between a Carrera G50 and the G50/50?
Secondly, how do you find out which kind you have?
I have a Frankenstein, so am just in the early thralls of discovery.
Thanks.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
For identification the number will be stamped on the bottom pad. The G50/50 and G50/52 have a larger ring gear thus a larger diameter side cover.
I'm running a G50/01 with a reinforced side cover, great improvement over a 930 4speed. If you need top end look for a 50 or 52 turbo trans.
Rodsrsr your car is looking great!

Last edited by lite75; 07-07-2012 at 03:37 PM..
Old 07-07-2012, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: