Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Grappler

Garage
Joining the boost club.

Well not really....I've been running the Paxton SC for the last 4 years with great success. The Paxton truly add's significant power while not changing the overall feel of the car. The best analogy is that it seems like your 3.2 is now a 3.8, building power in the same linear fashion as a big n/a motor. The problem is that we all get greedy and always want more, so with that said I decided to convert to turbo and get that out of the way. Phase 2 will be sourcing a set of 3.3 turbo piston/cylinders and eventually increase boost. Where the Paxton is perfect for a bolt on 6-7 psi, the turbo allows room to grow additionally there is no parastic loss and the power delivery is not linear. (we'll see how theory comports with practical once I complete the project) So, armed with the knowledge from this board and a few outside sources I have embarked on the Turbo journey. A few things I decided to do differently right off the bat: Ditch the old AFM and convert to MAF. I know that this is like trading in an old 80's apple desktop for a early 2000 pc but the next best option is a stand alone ECU which is not in the budget at this point in time. I think the MAF is a significant improvment over the barn door mechanical technology. I will use the split second MAF conversion with adjustable air/fuel ratios in conjuntion with a new BEGI rising rate FPR. For ignition retard the common solution seemed to be the stage one Protomotive chip, but in all honesty this seemed like antiquated technology so I decided to go with an MSD 6BTM with boost retard ign control. Again, not as good as a pressure sensing system but much better than a cookie cutter "Protomotive chip" (No diss intended, just a statement of fact.) Another issue I have seen others have is the oil drain system. Instead of hooking up a simple drain and hoping it will work, I decided to just do it right the first time and hook up an actual scavage system using an electric scavage pump from Turbowerks, which pulls directly from the catch can up back into the motor via fitting near the oil light switch. I believe that an intercooler is not an option, espically when running 3.2 compression, so I sprung for a full bay intercooler from GSF. A set of headers and a RarlyL8 Hooligan (Thanks Brian!) muffler completes the conversion for now. I am only in need of a few misc hoses and parts and I will be ready for initial fire up. Here are a few pics of the progress....and yes I WILL fit a full bay intercooler under that Duck

Weapon of choice Precision SC6162 ball bearing turbo, courtsey of fellow Pelican

Oil feed line hook up:

Oil drain into engine:

Scavage pump:

The Precision installed:

AFM conversion

Split second controller

Now I can get rid of this: Anybody need a freshly rebuilt AFM

That's all for now. Intercooler has been test fit and the ducktail is currently being slightly modified for clearance. Next will be installing the tial 46mm wastegate and all associated hoses/vacume lines, intercooler, prime and fire. I will keep everyone posted, but be sure that I WILL make it to Rennsport even if I have to trailer it!

1976 Turbo Coupe 3.2
2009 Carerra S 997.2 (SOLD)

Last edited by Rodsrsr; 08-12-2011 at 08:50 PM..
Old 08-12-2011, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Grappler

Garage
Here's a tease shot of the rear: The cutouts were intially designed to help release hot air but they also serve a secondary purpose as access pannels when working on the car. Waiting on new carbon fiber reflector from DZug.

1976 Turbo Coupe 3.2
Old 08-12-2011, 08:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Nice nice nice....
Old 08-12-2011, 09:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

So excited to see our reflector on such a beautiful beast!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-12-2011, 09:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Infidel

Congrats on the conversion, love that colour too! What boost can you run safely on a stock NA motor? Bet it's great fun to drive, best of both worlds
87 930, 993 turbo engine, RS Tuning 520PS/515lbf-ft, Arrow Rods, ARP hardware, Solid lifters, G50-50, RS Flywheel, 890nm Sachs clutch, RSR coil overs all round, 993 C4 calipers front, 930 fronts on the rear, Ruf Speedlines.....
Old 540 BMW, XB12S Modified, for being a total hooligan
Old 08-13-2011, 12:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Very nice, as a recent convert myself, let me tell you, you are going to love it.
-1978 911 SC TURBO, Minerva Blue Targa 965 update.
-2008 550i M-Sport
Old 08-13-2011, 04:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Excellent Job! I'm a recent convert too trying to fit an intercooler under my ducktail. Will be interested to see how yours turns out.

Cheers!
- SOLD! '85 928S 5sp with LSD
Old 08-13-2011, 05:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
It is appropriate that you connected the turbo oil supply to just under the oil light. This way when a bump or large rock/tire carcase/dead animal takes out the fitting on your electric pump, the light may come on. I say may because the unrestricted oil flow may keep the light on until all the oil is pumped out of your car. Look at the 965 turbo oil system, you don't have to engineer anything new.

Good Luck,
Mark
Old 08-13-2011, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Grappler

Garage
Thanks guys for all the compliments! The intercooler fits no problem and I'll post a picture of the Duck when its finished. Scavage pump is a little lower than I like and this is not the permanent solution. The mounting will obviously be changed from the hose clamp to something a little more durable and it can also be swiveled to bring the fittings up a bit, but your right Mark, that needs to be addressed, but with the height of the front end, if I hit a rock dead animal/carcass, whatever, its ripping off my front bumper first. lol

1976 Turbo Coupe 3.2
Old 08-13-2011, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Old 08-13-2011, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Grappler

Garage
Some progress today......She lives!!! Finally got the MAF/split second sorted and she fired right up...Idled a little rough at first but after a few adjustments on the controller it smoothed right out. Intercooler's installed along with recirc valve (I don't want to be mistaken for an STI or Supra so no BOV ) Still waiting on wastegate which is in route and a few odd and ends before the mandatory beat run.

Intercooler installed....

It fits...with a little persuasion.

OK, so it's not Concourse.....my cars 2150 lbs of Rat Rod anyway so who cares!

1976 Turbo Coupe 3.2
Old 08-16-2011, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

very nice!
FS 1987 930 DTAFast EFI w/Electronic Dash, 17x9x11" Lindsey Racing Fuchs, Andial 8.39 R&P, C2 Intake, SuperCup Cams, Flame Ringed Heads & Cylinders, TurboKraft Full Bay Intercooler, RearlyL8 Twin Scroll Headers, Big Bullseye Twin Scroll Turbo...SOLD
1999 Harley Davidson Custom 1250 Hardtail Bobber..SOLD
2014 BMW X6M, 2012 BMW 128i, 2014 GMC Sierra, 2015 Cobia 237 Center Console 300hp Yamaha
Old 08-17-2011, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Grappler

Garage
Some more progress...I've been putting in some late nights this week. First off I will say that this is definitely more complicated than the SC conversion. It was actually more work than I anticipated, but I'm on the downward slope now... I was having some trouble with the MSD boost control unit, but I finally got it sorted. (my bad...incorrect hookup) MSD tech line is awesome. Tial wastegate arrived today so I could finally button up the underneath and bring it back down to the ground. I'm at the point to where it starts, idles and drives (around the block no boost) perfectly, but my first impression is that round one goes to the Paxton. The motor still feels good, but more like a built 3.2 which is what it is, vs with the Paxton it felt like a 3.8 ALL the time. The motor revved quicker and overall sounded healthy with the SC.....but I understand that a turbo is a different animal and I need to get it on boost before I can make and actual comparison. Waiting on wide band air/fuel gauge and then I will go play. Here's a few pics.

1976 Turbo Coupe 3.2
Old 08-18-2011, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

How much time did you put into it? I have been at mine now for four months and little progress with work etc, but just getting the headers built was a lot of work as I am doing twin turbos on a 3.6 and wanted to get the turbos on the side. I just could not find a set of 993 OEM turbo headers and did not want to pay 000 for after market stuff. Looks good, enjoy.
sheriong
Old 08-19-2011, 08:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Grappler

Garage
Update....After 3 long months of sourcing parts, reading reading and more reading..I'm finally done. First run on boost ran like crap. May adjustments to make;
air/fuel controller for MAF, fuel pressure, ign retard. Second run,, ran much better, about like the supercharger..Third run, it's almost dialed..... the result, VERY VERY FAST! Yes, that's the grin that I had. solid 7.5 lbs of boost right around 3000 rpm. The first thing I noticed is how smooth and modern it feels. I'm not sure what to attribute that to, since I also changed the old AFM to MAF. Maybe that's it? The car feels like a new turbo...quiet, smooth and pulls like a train. Very aggressive. So being someone that has run both I think that if one wants simple, clean power that doesnt alter the feel of the power delivery the Paxton is the way to go. However, if you are a boost junkie like many of us are than the Turbo wins hands down. The car pulls now in 3rd gear the way it used to in 2nd. Great conversion, lots more work than the SC but I think it's well worth it. There are still a few issues to work out like keeping my rear bumper from melting but other than that so far so good.

1976 Turbo Coupe 3.2
Old 08-20-2011, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Now... that's prrrrrreeeeettty cool!
Old 08-20-2011, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
JW Apostate

Nice project.

When can I ride in it again?

KT
'74 914-6 2.6 SS #746
'01 Boxster
Old 08-27-2011, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Grappler

Garage
Trekkor, what's up buddy!

Planning on Thunderhill next month. "Trackmasters" Bring your 914-6 (the new and improved wide version)

1976 Turbo Coupe 3.2
Old 08-28-2011, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Awesome conversion! Well done

Curious, where exactly did you drain the turbo oil to near the oil pressure switch? Is there a pre-existing tapped port there?
Old 08-28-2011, 04:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Nice work you got there adding a turbo. I like the setup of the duck tail clearing the IC. It means business! I'm sure there's no regret going from a SC to a turbo. Your green beast is waiting for the CF refector! Please post more pics once you install the CF reflector.

Old 08-28-2011, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: