Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Sparks?????

Any toughts on sparks on a 3.3T.K27.sc cams.No track yet.Only
Wekend Driving and late nights when no trafick.

Thanks in advace:Jocke
Old 08-15-2011, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Jocke,

I'm assuming your referring to flames out the back when you lift off the accelerator. That can be attributed to unburnt fuel igniting in hot cylinder heads when the throttle plate closes.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Or....are you asking about spark plugs - what to use?
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I was just dreaming of the day I can see flame out the back of a 930 again !!!!!

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Yes spark plugs is thath i want to now about.
Any sudgestions?

Old 08-15-2011, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Ngk

r5671a-8

N.G.K. Spark Plugs V-Power Racing Plug 5452 - R5671-8

When it comes to spark plugs, NGK is the World Leader. Makers of spark plugs, sparkplug wires and oxygen sensors for virtually every automotive, motorcycle, marine, industrial and small engine application, NGK dominates the world market. NGK is famous for the “V-Groove” sparkplug, the Iridium IX sparkplug and platinum plugs. NGK sparkplugs, wire sets and sensors are used for racing, high performance, sport compacts and light trucks. NGK Iridium plugs are exceptional for use in nitrous fueled, fuel injection and turbo charged engines. NGK is also the original equipment for the majority of the world's auto manufacturers. A substantial number of NGK Spark Plugs and oxygen sensors sold in the United States are made right here in America.

Last edited by cole930; 08-15-2011 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: incorrect
Old 08-15-2011, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Ngk br8eix (5044)
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 08-15-2011, 08:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole930 View Post
I was just dreaming of the day I can see flame out the back of a 930 again !!!!!

Cole
Quick, somebody post a video for Cole. We got lots of flamers on this board At least we used to)
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 08-15-2011, 10:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Turbofrog

Cole, I think you can have your flame moments if you care to retard the timing for some spirited runs and then lift off. After that dial the good running advance back. I found out I got rid of the highway boost issue just by dialing more advance, huh. I don't want to dial it advanced more until I can get my timing light calibrated against some other good workin light.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Couldn't get NGKS..

Currently using DENSO-W24ESR-U(4033) copper plug..Success!!!

Walt
Old 08-16-2011, 04:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Walt,

I recently got 8 off Evil Bay for $11.79 shipped.

Cole
Old 08-16-2011, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole930 View Post
Walt,

I recently got 8 off Evil Bay for $11.79 shipped.

Cole
That's a dern good price, but probably charged you $15 to ship. SOB's.....
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Mark,

Can't remember exact shipping but the total was a little over $2 each.

Cole
Old 08-16-2011, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Use BR8ES. These are a fixed top NGK, non-projection type plug. These are a copper core cross-over to the factory Bosch W3DPO Platinum plugs. They cost $2 and are available at Advance Auto and several other local parts distributors.

If your going one hotter then use the BR7ES. If your not interested in the resistor plug then you simply remove the R. The OEM plug is a resistor type plug, but this is only to reduce radio interference..

I run these pretty hard so I've not had a fouling issue.

Who listens to a radio in a 930 though

'87 930, 3.3 liter, K27 hybrid, Kokeln IC, Andial, B&B, Borla, 17" Supercups.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
+1 on BR 8es
Old 08-17-2011, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

OK-SPARK-PLUG GURUS-

Does the thickness or larger insulator/porcelain matter??? After comparing my old ngks-r56-7 to denso 4033. The insulator part of the ngks was not as thick. Side by side the the denso looked more heavy duty. INMOP.
What do u think???
1ST one denso-w24esr-u

2ND NGK-R5671A-8

Last edited by wjfk32; 08-17-2011 at 11:37 AM..
Old 08-17-2011, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Thanks guys.
I think i vill go for BR8ES.

Jocke.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFR_Racer View Post
Use BR8ES. These are a fixed top NGK, non-projection type plug. These are a copper core cross-over to the factory Bosch W3DPO Platinum plugs. They cost $2 and are available at Advance Auto and several other local parts distributors.

If your going one hotter then use the BR7ES. If your not interested in the resistor plug then you simply remove the R. The OEM plug is a resistor type plug, but this is only to reduce radio interference..

I run these pretty hard so I've not had a fouling issue.

Who listens to a radio in a 930 though
I use B8ES or B7ES on all my two-stroke dirt bikes...and have for over 40 years (damn, I've been playing in the dirt for too long!). Never thought of using them in my 930. They are excellent bike plugs in a tough, hot, premix oily environment.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

The highest quality and longest lasting steel used in the ground electrode of any sparkplug is... Autolite.

I've heard that more than once and other than that they all do the same thing,,, spark.

The heat range is determined by how long the center electrode and it's porcelin insulator in the combustion chamber is before it attaches and transfers heat to the rest of the sparkplug and then the cyinder head.
A short fat one transfers the heat from the tip of the center electrode to the rest of the plug and cylinder head quickly so it runs cooler and a hot plug has a long skinny insulator around the center elctrode so it transfers some of the heat to the rest of the plug slower and that makes it run hotter. you canlook at them and see the difference if they are clean.

That said I like Bosch plugs best and I can't tell any difference in how the motor runs with any name brand correct heat range single ground electrode sparkplug - copper, silver, or platinum they all do the same thing.

Bosch W4CS silver plugs are in my motor because I heard they are very good and they cost about 1/3 of the origonal Bosch W3DPO sideways sparking pure platinum cold plugs which also run fine without fouling in my motor.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: