Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
newbie's new 86 turbo...

Hi Guys, new here old everywhere else....I just got an 86 930 turbo, a bit of a road warrior but just as cool as I thought it'd be, however with a few issues... the p.o. dumped tons of dough on reseal all new kokeln ic and turbo unit then said he never got it dialed in and it sat for the last year or so....Not being formiliar with these cars and with no manuals I NEED HELP! it runs rough a lot, hard cold starts speedo bounces around when stopped, wipers don't work, ammeter appears not to work...so far I found only one vacume line on dizzy on front side none on back with no where to plug one in and a loose wire at fuse box , may be wipers....this car looks to have had everything replaced...p.o. seems unable to elaborate on work or upgrades and probably just gave a shop the car and said do it then got a bill for 12k and said I quit and parked it...I mean I got a stack of all the old parts that incluses wastegate fuel dist, clutch/flywheel, old exhaust(see pics)...this car came from n.j. then n.c. maybe someone here knows it and all that was done...theres a hole where a similar sized gauge to the ammeter was I think what went there? thanks for the help now!...Cliff

Old 08-16-2011, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Champagne on Beer Budget

Garage
Great Car...My favorite color Welcome to Pelican!

www.einarsgarage.com
Instagram @einars_garage
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Einars-Garage/375533809160797
Old 08-16-2011, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Car looks great. Sorry can't help with the running rough except to say check if you are running rich or lean plus check timing and plugs.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Guys! Yeah, it looks especially good in the pic...but it's a 10 footer its got ding & dangs and stone chips all over except the roof just like someone used it!...They probably even tried in the winter!.....good thing I do bodywork!....but on the other hand there's a lot less worrying about using the car as intended....or I may do the from the doors back and leave the rest for later cause thats where the most obvious imperfections are....My post is showing up giant sized on my screen is doing that to everyone?....I talked to souk, he lives near me so I'm gonna run out there this weekend and let him criteaque it...It's my first one of these so I'll need all the help I can get!....thanks, cliff
Old 08-16-2011, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Do the wheels say "SPEEDLINE for Porsche" on them?
Old 08-16-2011, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Looks like a great car. You will sort it out, it will just take a little time. Love those wheels! Obviously, you have a/some loose wires somewhere if your speedo and other things don't work properly. It might be a bad ground. You are just going to have to troubleshoot it. Since your speedo and wipers don't work, start at the fusebox with a light tester/volt meter and work back to those two items. You may have a short, too. So check to see if all connections are solid. The speedo is easy to take out to get to the electrical connections, if you have to. Just pull on it from inside the cockpit

As you know, there are two lines to the distributor. One is for advance, the other for retard (Paulie calls the retard one, Geoff!). The advance line (the outer one) goes to a fitting about two thirds of the way to the front of the engine, just right of the engine's right/left centerline under the intake. I tried to feel for it and I think it might be attached to the crankcase (Sorry, I can't see exactly where and I can't remember exactly where, anymore either...The inner one goes to a small electric relay on the left side of the engine which has an electric plug to it. There are two of them attached about three inches apart from each other with a brass colored metal support. Each has an electric plug and both are attached just inboard from the metal turbo tube and under the left side of the intercooler.

Good luck. Would love to see more pics!
Old 08-16-2011, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Yikes/thanks!

Thanks for all the imput, especially from Todd (osi930)....heres where I'm at so far....and to answer some questions....If the wheels say anything besides turbo on the center cap its on the back....some day I'll take'em off and clean the backside maybe they'll say something there....they are 18's.....as for the missing vac line , there are no solenoids left I only see 1 connector that has been taped up, and on the opposite side of where the advance line plugs into (the throttle body?) there is a plugged vacum port...So I still don't know what to think about this, have'nt some of you guys installed kokeln stuff ....did you continue to run all stock vacum set up? There's also a ton of aftermarket wiring to sort thru and this car apparently had/has front and rear radar detectors installed in the day....thats what the small rectangular gauge and adjacent hole are from on inst. panel....thanks to Todd for that info... theres still a lot to absorb and sort out here and I'll try to keep up here as I go.... but I still need advice and info...Thanks to all!...Cliff

Last edited by vettemad; 08-22-2011 at 06:57 PM..
Old 08-17-2011, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Here is a good thread as far as vac lines go.
Distributor

I installed the kokeln in my car and vac lines remain the same except the line that used to go to the intermediate manifold now goes to the Blow off valve mounted on the big elbow.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Looke like you got a good base car but the fine details are screwy - once you iron them out you will have a sweet 930.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Oilonly....you kidd'in....that thread covered primarily 78-9 cars and was worse to read than my last property tax bill... but thanks for trying...cliff
Old 08-17-2011, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Sharp car vettemad, congrats!

Any idea what the switch and pot do circled below? I have the same combo in my 87 (but on the opposite side of the cluster) and have never been able to figure out what they are for

17 NSX - Nouvelle Blue
Old 08-17-2011, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
R.I.P.

ha, I love it. You'll have much more fun with a rough around the edges 930 as you won't feel bad about making it your own.... Looks like it's got some cool goodies already
Old 08-17-2011, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
yeah primemvr, with (OSI930) Todds help...I think those 2 knobs/pots and toggle switch go to front and rear radar detectors which is what the the little square hole is too...there are 2 meters(look at pic of tach) one for front and one for back radar...I found it had fallen out and dropped behind the inst. panel...theres also waring lights for the same below each meter....theres other toggle switches and another cool high quality knob switch on the left side as well I have'nt figured out yet....the knob/potswitches are all weighted and turn to off positions and feel like a good old high end stereo control... I'm think'in more aftermarket alarms and or radar detectors....I may never know but it was high tech in the 80's...of course the car phone antenna is still there too!....thanks, cliff

Last edited by vettemad; 08-22-2011 at 06:59 PM..
Old 08-17-2011, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Ah ha! I have that same yellow light in my dash too, but not the meters. I think it was the old K40's that had that configuration. A buddy of mine in college had one in his BMW 2002.

A PO must have removed the sensor and brain, but didn't bother with the controls. Another classic car mystery solved.
17 NSX - Nouvelle Blue
Old 08-17-2011, 08:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

Got a look at the car yesterday and who ever reassembled the car appears to have done a rush job...or was just plain careless. I'm sorry to be to frank, Cliff. Wiring to gauges was not right...some dead, some erratic. I recommended sorting all this out. A time consuming task of making sure all the connectors and terminals are correct behind the gauges. The factor boost dial was dead, but there was a factory boost sender on the cooler. The after market boost gauge was working. It got over 1.5 bars. I suspect the wastegate isn't functioning. Never heard it dump the exhaust when the boost built up. I recommended taking the boost adjuster out of series and just vent the top of the wastegate to see if it even functions right. I recommended checking the wastegate spring. Who knows what's in there. You can pressure test it or just run the line from the cooler (intake pressure) to the wastegate and see if you hear it open up under boost. You should just take the thing apart and see what spring is in there. We were checking so many things yesterday that I missed doing all his, but it's simple to do.

Here is a diagram for you.. http://www.tialmedia.com/documents/w3_tial_wginstall.pdf

Here is a link to the Tial tech page. ..go to the spring section for your wastegate model and see if you can tell:

TiAL Sport.com

As I said yesterday:

*Sort out the gauge wiring and check the wastegate.
*check the plugs and plug wires
*I'd do a compression test on the engine just to be sure you have acceptable pressure

If you want to drive the car until it gets cold out, at least get the gauge wiring sorted and check the wastegate. The after market gauge may be fine. Getting the gauges sorted will give you critical operating information. Making sure the wastegate works will limit you boost until the someone goes over the engine and build confidence that running a higher boost level won't hurt it. Get a .8 bar spring in there and then worry about the CIS tuning.

Sorry I couldn't do more for you yesterday, but all the things we found would take a good day's work to go through just to get to the point where I am comfortable making further analysis.

Last edited by MotoSook; 08-22-2011 at 12:34 PM..
Old 08-22-2011, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Good loking car!

Do you have a mods list from the prior owner/s?

How does it run? Your pictures show so... many mods that it'll be hard to determine where to start troubleshooting... However an air leak is an air leak - good starting point, check for leaks.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
I have the same setup on my car for 13 years, working well now ,there was some growing pains,I can help you, so that don't go thou what i did, I have alot of experience
with that setup if you want to call me and go over it by phone let me know I will give you my number

Helio
210-473-7158
SOLD, 911GT ,CIS, 428 fwhp 450 trq, Carrillo rods, 964 cams, TT retainers,7.5 comp 1.1 bar boost 320 ml black fuel head 009 injectors, 044 pumps, 60-1 T4/T3 dual scroll turbo
Old 08-22-2011, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Ah, Don't worry Frank, you'll always be souk to me...Yeah, I'm stil trying to find a friggen wiring diagram for the speedo....everything I've got access to skips it...alldata, mitchell....Todd (OSI930) sent me an currant flow chart from a 78, it was'nt good for wire color or terminals....Yes, thanks Souk, I had fun and it was informative too....I learn quick and have more than enough experience to adapt to the learning curve....sure wish I had that hoist tho....I have other things I gotta do in the course of a day so I can't spend as mush time as I'd like and I have other important custom builds going on as well (domestic custom hot rods and classics)... Miguel....I concurr on getting with the p.o.on the work reciepts and other issues like the missing sunroof headliner and the manuals he was supposed to sendand intend to, but thought I'd wait till I was feeling more diplomatic....Helio! You sound like a guy I need to touch base with....when's a good time to call?....you can p.m. me or straight up email me on that....210? is that wisc.?....thanks guys! especially Souk... big help great guy, great place....his own unfinished subdivision for a track....and a way cool art deco refridgerator that works!....seeya soon and thanks again Guys!....Cliff

Last edited by vettemad; 08-22-2011 at 07:10 PM..
Old 08-22-2011, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
welcome

Welcome Cliff!

Car looks nice from the pics. I've gone through the same experience with my first turbo car, it is a 911 narrow body that was professionally converted to turbo with andial stuff and all.

I recognized the "dial of death" on the console floor. Be very careful with that you can hurt the motor . I'll see if I have still have the instructions on mine (I removed mine). Post or PM a email I'll see if I can send other doc I may also have that may help.

I would recommend, if it runs to start with timing to see where your at. Mine was all "jacked up" at 33* advance, way too much. Then start the hunt for vacuum leaks.

I would also go through all the wiring and remove, carefully, any non-essential wires. This is a time-suck process. I would test lines prior to removal for 12v which may help trace the other end. Most of mine were due to an aftermarket alarm, radio, 1980's phone, andial fuel enrichment system, CD player, amp, etc...

Get her running decent first and then work on the other details. A turbo does no good in a driveway.

John
Old 08-23-2011, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
You need to plug the holes where the heater vent hoses used to go through the engine tin, you are losing much cooling air and maybe sucking hot exhaust air into the engine compartment. Also, change or clean your air filter, that could be leading to one or more of your symptoms. Those K&N types are very efficient but you need to stay after them. K&N makes a cleaning and oiling kit and you can get it at most auto parts stores.

Good Luck,
Mark
Old 08-23-2011, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: