Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Hi Guys, found some important info on my new turbo. It is a GT35R Hybrid. The hot side turbine is smaller than the standard GT35 and the cold side is larger than standard GT35. Still has the A/R 60 cold side housing and the .81 A/R hot side but with a smaller exhaust outlet. Should spool up quicker than the standard GT35R, I just hope it doesn't run out of RPM/flow too soon.

I found the ex. flange and the transition pipe at ATP Turbo, along with a bunch of other much needed goodies to help the project along.

So at this point I'm sending my WUR for the mods and getting the RPM switch. Now I just wait for parts.

1991 964 Turbo,3.3 ,Polar silver, Fabspeed headers and exhaust, stock W/G, Greddy EBC, Synapse BOV, BL WUR w/ RPM CSV switch, CIS Fuelhead mods, GT 35 Turbo, Snow W/Meth Inj., K&N Cone Air Filter, AAR delete, Decel valve delete, Zeitronics ZR-2 AFR
1994 968 White, bone stock! (son's first car)
Old 08-17-2011, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
I'm trying to get a reading from the source on that turbo. It doesn't look like something Garrett sells. Show a picture of the nametag.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

There is not an ID tag on this unit like my stock K27. Only the ink numbers that can be seen in the pics I've posted.
1991 964 Turbo,3.3 ,Polar silver, Fabspeed headers and exhaust, stock W/G, Greddy EBC, Synapse BOV, BL WUR w/ RPM CSV switch, CIS Fuelhead mods, GT 35 Turbo, Snow W/Meth Inj., K&N Cone Air Filter, AAR delete, Decel valve delete, Zeitronics ZR-2 AFR
Old 08-17-2011, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Infidel

It may well deliver more power than a stock GT35r, having a smaller hot side and larger cold side. For instance a stock K24 as fitted to the 993 GT2 (or any X50 993 turbo) doesn't produce as much as a K16/24 hybrid (Same as fitted to the Ruf Turbo R).....
Either way it's a lot of turbo for CIS and stock internals

Edit: I think we all understand what the lure is like though, thinking of those big numbers, and the thought of 'mine will be fine', 'it's all just scare mongering'....
I'm sure Serge would want you to check this thread out 934/935 turbo SE, my street REPLICA....Story.......
87 930, 993 turbo engine, RS Tuning 520PS/515lbf-ft, Arrow Rods, ARP hardware, Solid lifters, G50-50, RS Flywheel, 890nm Sachs clutch, RSR coil overs all round, 993 C4 calipers front, 930 fronts on the rear, Ruf Speedlines.....
Old 540 BMW, XB12S Modified, for being a total hooligan

Last edited by JBL930; 08-17-2011 at 04:36 PM..
Old 08-17-2011, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Kartoffelkopf

Garage
Quote:
Is the exhaust gas temp. sensor going to be important tuning information? If so I will order one now.
I ordered one at the same time as the rest of the kit - in for a penny, etc...IMHO, yeah I feel more comfortable being able to keep an eye on as much stuff as possible - I'm very much in the learning phase with turbocharging, so every piece of data that I can look at just serves to help build a picture of what's happening, especially whe looking back at a log after a spirited drive.

Btw, I spent some time altering the ashtray assy to house the Zeit module, meaning that I'll be able to fold it away making it look completely stock when not being used...can send you some pics if interested?
Old 08-17-2011, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
If you are running EGT and have only one sensor put it on cyl #2 or #4 as they tend to have slightly higher EGT than the others.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jebbach911 View Post
There is not an ID tag on this unit like my stock K27. Only the ink numbers that can be seen in the pics I've posted.
My concern is this is a cloned Chinese copy of the Garrett GT35R. If this is the case you may be saving yourself time and money to get a real Garrett before you launch into special fabrication for a unit that may not live long.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

I agree with copbait73, something is not right about that turbo, i would talk to the folks at ATP turbo and even send them pics to identify it. I was suprised when you came back confirming NPT thread instead of the correct metric 10x1.0...
Old 08-18-2011, 05:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I'm thinking this is not a clone but rather a modifed Garrett. Seems every shop has their own version of a "hybrid".
Old 08-18-2011, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Most aftermarket hybrid turbo compressor covers are made in China because no one anywhere else can compete with their prices.
Then all the little numbers that are cast in on the origonal covers are missing.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Very true - I forgot all the speedshops have their own flavors.

Last edited by E-man930; 08-19-2011 at 05:04 AM..
Old 08-18-2011, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm thinking this is not a clone but rather a modifed Garrett. Seems every shop has their own version of a "hybrid".
I agree with Brian, and that is what my "friend" that sold me the turbo says. I just don't like the secrecy behind the turbine size and the grinding of the bolt head so it can't be easily disassembled on the hot side. He hasn't offered the "shop" name during our conversations about the turbo. I don't think he wants me to "go around him" and comunicate direct with the supplier.

He did give me some specs. on the turbo and then I measured the inducer and exducer dimentions of the compressor wheel. I come up with a 56 trim. The specs. he stated was:
GT35R Hybrid
T3-T4
61 Compressor wheel (and it's stamped CCE-61 on the inside of the compressor housing)
Stage 5 Turbine wheel
.82 AR turbine housing
And said it will move 62 Lbs. of air per minute
Old 08-18-2011, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

The turbine wheel and shaft are one piece in a Borg Warner turbo and they probably are in a Garret too. The compressor wheel is held on the shaft with a nut and gets removed so you can take the rest of it apart.

The "nut" on the turbine wheel with the grinding marks is there for high speed balancing.
The"nut" is magnetized in a VSR turbo balancing machine and an electronic pickup is swung over and placed around it and the turbo is spun up to speeds between 100,000 ~ 200,000 rpms using air pressure.

Any imbalance of the turbo cartridge assembly will cause a high frequency vibration at those speeds that the pickup reads and sends to a computer. Then the turbo is stopped and the LCD monitor on the VSR balancing machine computer display will point to where the "nut" needs metal ground off to balance the cartridge assembly.

That process is repeated until the turbo is perfectly balanced so it can end up with a bunch of different grinding marks depending on the balancing machine used and operator skill.

According to Durabilt Turbo in Illinois there are only 3 VSR high speed turbo balancing machines in the USA and they have one of them. They are made in Europe, very expensive, and you can google it to learn more and watch you tube videos of one in use. or you can just assume everything and spend your money blindly on friendly hearsay like most people do.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Kartoffelkopf

Garage
From a point of almost complete ignorance, doesn't grinding the nut (which sounds entirely logical) in situ risk getting huge amounts of metal particles into the innards of the turbine housing? Or am I missing something?....Shirly they don't disassemble - grind - re-assemble?...wacking great Hoover to suck up as they grind?
Old 08-18-2011, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Only the cartridge assembly is placed in the balancing machine. That is the bearing housing with the backplate in place and the turbine wheel and shaft, and compressor wheel.
The compressor cover and turbine housing don't need to be attached to spin it up with air pressure and grind metal off the turbine wheel "nut" to balance the assembly.

After balancing is done the compressor cover and turbine housing is installed and it's done.

Watch the video... Turbo Technics VSR balancing machines - YouTube

edit: this video may be better, i don't get sound on the other one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMA5RFpGRbg

Last edited by JFairman; 08-18-2011 at 02:34 PM..
Old 08-18-2011, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Thank you, JFairman, for that information! I feel much better about the grind marks on the turbine wheel side!

This may turn out to be the best route for me to get more HP out of this car and not be too hard on the motor! Headers, quick spool turbo, 1 BAR WG spring, BL WUR w/ rpm switch and AFR monitoring.

I'll let you guys know how it runs when I get it fired up. I'm still waiting on ex. flange pieces and the BL WUR but should smell some smoke in about 2 weeks.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Kartoffelkopf

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
Only the cartridge assembly is placed in the balancing machine. That is the bearing housing with the backplate in place and the turbine wheel and shaft, and compressor wheel.
The compressor cover and turbine housing don't need to be attached to spin it up with air pressure and grind metal off the turbine wheel "nut" to balance the assembly.

After balancing is done the compressor cover and turbine housing is installed and it's done.

Watch the video... Turbo Technics VSR balancing machines - YouTube

edit: this video may be better, i don't get sound on the other one.
High-speed turbo balancing machine - YouTube
Thanks JFairman....wow...what a small world....Turbo Technics is owned by a chap called Geoff Kershaw, who we used to go racing with (Hillclimb & Sprinting here in the UK) in the mid 90's! He ran a devilishly quick Ford Sierra XR4x4, twin turbo'd V6 Cologne engine...Grp A RS500 Cosworth quick...used to give us a run for our money in a 7-esque Westfield with very trick (N/A touring car spec) Vauxhall (GM) 2.0l XE that weighed chuff-all.

Very interesting video...learning all the time with this turbocharging "witchcraft" God there's a helluva lot to get my head around here....but with this forum, Bruce Andersons and A. Graham Bell's books, I may just get there. Maybe.

Cheers!
Old 08-19-2011, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Something very odd about that turbine housing, not any Garrett casting I've ever seen.
Also, there's no such thing s a GT35R with different wheels -- if you don't have a GT35R compressor wheel and a GT35R turbine wheel, it's not a GT35R (GT3582R).
Take a photo of the ID tag on the center bearing housing.
I've seen some pretty good fakes, and if you know what you're looking at you can spot the differences.
The GT35R is not that big a turbocharger, and on a 3.3L with bolt-ons it performs absolutely great.
Email me and I'll give you a lit of the other pieces you'll need to finish up the installation.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 08-20-2011, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Is this turbo a ball bearing turbo? That is what the "R" denotes in a GT35R.

edit: please ignore above comment, I thought that ball bearing would lend authenticity, but just found chinese ball bearing turbos on ebay.

Last edited by Ollies930; 08-21-2011 at 12:02 AM..
Old 08-20-2011, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboKraft View Post
Something very odd about that turbine housing, not any Garrett casting I've ever seen.
Also, there's no such thing s a GT35R with different wheels -- if you don't have a GT35R compressor wheel and a GT35R turbine wheel, it's not a GT35R (GT3582R).
Take a photo of the ID tag on the center bearing housing.
I've seen some pretty good fakes, and if you know what you're looking at you can spot the differences.
The GT35R is not that big a turbocharger, and on a 3.3L with bolt-ons it performs absolutely great.
Email me and I'll give you a lit of the other pieces you'll need to finish up the installation.

Chris, i was told the GT35r was a 500bhp turbo at 1.0, i know cams play a part among other stuff, but is this not the case? What should the turbo give on a 964 with bolt ons? How does it compare to a HF2?

87 930, 993 turbo engine, RS Tuning 520PS/515lbf-ft, Arrow Rods, ARP hardware, Solid lifters, G50-50, RS Flywheel, 890nm Sachs clutch, RSR coil overs all round, 993 C4 calipers front, 930 fronts on the rear, Ruf Speedlines.....
Old 540 BMW, XB12S Modified, for being a total hooligan
Old 08-21-2011, 05:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: