Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Ignition switch & flapper box..

Hi guys, bit of a noob and not a mechanic, so please forgive me..

I have spent hours searching this great forum though. I'm so glad that i have a 930, and that there are still so many enthusiasts..

I have 2 questions on my 81 uk 930.

1. My ignition key / switch is shot. It turns ok to position 2? But when I turn it further to actually start cranking it jams and can take 5+ goes back and forth.. I have a friend who is a locksmith who can renew the internals but is it hard to get out so I can take the barrel unit to him? Are there loads of wires to disconnect or is it a simple harness clip thing? Ive had a good look under the dash, but it's a mass of wires all neatly cable tied, and I don't want to snip all the ties without knowing what to expect.

2. I have auto heat, which I know is a pain.. Heat won't come on. Before I remove / check the control box, can someone tell me / show me a pic of where the "flapper box" things are - I know a lot of posts say to check they haven't rusted shut - I just don't know where to look!

Thanks guys.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
1. yes there are some wires to disconnect from ignition, i just removed mine for a dash project, just make sure you put some tape on everything and mark them with numbers,..that way when you put it back, there is no confusion,

i dont know about refreshing the internals, maybe someone else can help there...

2. my car had auto heat, i didnt even bother to mess with anything, i ripped everything out, and "backdated" my heat, now just two levers between the seat by the ebrake that you pull up when you want heat...nice and simple...

flapper boxes can only be seen under the car with it jacked up
Old 08-19-2011, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
PORSHCE 911 CARRERA MANUAL HEAT LEVERS/PARKING BRAKE A+ | eBay

that is what i put in my car, thats a good price, i think i paid 200 for mine
Old 08-19-2011, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
Just ahead of the rear shocks;

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Unslanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 08-19-2011, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys. Does the lock barrel unit come out easily or is it a pita?
Old 08-20-2011, 03:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Ignition switch - inside to fix START lockout

Old 08-20-2011, 04:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: