Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Getting more confident each day! Thanks guys!

What about turbo sizing though? Would be nice to have something that spools very early, (sub 3000's) even at the expense of top end power. I like my powerband fat and meaty as opposed to peaky.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Yep that's why I went with the smaller GT3071 Merv suggested as apposed to a GT35. I love it, it spools straight away and doesn't seem to run out of puff up top but truthfully the car is for street and spends most of it's time in lower rpms. It always seems eager to launch off, it's very cool! WRXs and EVOs run GT30s to huge boost levels so I don't think mine ever really gets pumping at 7psi.
'18 C63S Coupe
Old 08-23-2011, 10:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMickey View Post
Getting more confident each day! Thanks guys!

What about turbo sizing though? Would be nice to have something that spools very early, (sub 3000's) even at the expense of top end power. I like my powerband fat and meaty as opposed to peaky.
For a bolt on affair, I'd say go with a GT30R ball-bearing unit for best response. It'd be good for up to 500 crank HP That gives you room to grow down the track if you ever decide to mod the internals, drop compression, and up the boost to 0.8 - 1.0 bar. Any higher and I'd be looking at a GT35R.

Go with a GT30R with 0.81 A/R hot housing with V-band discharge. Then when you want to step up to a GT35R, it will just drop in place without any adaption needed

Wastegate - don't ever skimp on quality here. Go for a Tial 46mm unit with whatever boost pressure spring you want to run on your bolt-on setup. Springs are interchangeable so you can always swap them out when you want more power.

Headers - for bolt on power levels you'll be running, GSF or OBX is fine and quite cost effective. If you want big power levels over 500+, get custom race headers designed to flow more efficiently. Dont know if the cheaper units will last at big power levels.

Good luck
Old 08-24-2011, 12:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

I have 7.5:1 compression 3.4L pistons and 1-bar of boost and the car makes ~515hp.

Everything else is stock regarding intake, heads, cams, etc.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Tippy: No AC I assume? What turbo size are you running?
Old 08-24-2011, 10:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMickey View Post
Tippy: No AC I assume? What turbo size are you running?
No AC. T060-1 Turbonetics, T-4/0.8X A/R on the hotside I believe. I am not for sure on this one though (the A/R).
Cory - turbo'd '87 C3.2 Guards/Blk, 3.4, 7.5:1 CR P & C's, soon to be 993SS cams and GSXR 750 ITB's fed by 964 intake, Borg-Warner S366 turbo @ 1.4 bar, Treadstone full bay IC, TiAL F46 WG, HKS 1 1/2" BOV, twin 044 pumps, MegaSquirt 2 (v3.57 board) w/EDIS, Tramont wheels (285's rr, 225's frt), Big Reds frt, 993 rr., tower brace, MOMO wheel

Last edited by Tippy; 08-26-2011 at 11:54 AM..
Old 08-26-2011, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

T60-1 turbos are archaic compared to the newer generation Garrett BB turbos, which are FAR more efficient and responsive. Just my opinion.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

I agree. But, the BB turbo's can't be rebuilt. They require an entire cartridge changeout that cost a majority of the turbos initial cost. If you are ok paying that, they are the best option available.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy View Post
I agree. But, the BB turbo's can't be rebuilt. They require an entire cartridge changeout that cost a majority of the turbos initial cost. If you are ok paying that, they are the best option available.
Yep, service your motor/oil regularly and you'll be right. Turbo technology these days is quite reliable, even if you don't run the Garret BBs with water cooling. They are fine
Old 08-27-2011, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
[QUOTE=Rodsrsr;6209460]I believe the 3.2 has the same exact crank and rods as the turbo, plus you also get the added benefit of EFI with the Carrera 3.2 motronic ECU. The main difference in the motors is the compression ratio. I just did this conversion on my rebuilt 3.2. I think that there are several ways to go about doing it, so I suggest doing your research first. In terms of drivability, a turboed 3.2 is a great combination with virtually zero lag and tons of power even at moderate boost levels. There are many guys on this forum that have put together some nice 3.2 turbo conversions....actually kinda inspired me.

That's great that many here have went doing the home version of putting a turbo on a NA motor in terms of getting HP on a budget, but Porsche never applied that route doing the 930 on the cheap.

Since a complete 930 engine(although a lot more expensive than a turbo kit) bolted up to my existing tranny/chassis, it was a no brainer for me, in terms of having a car that started up on the first turn of the key, with absolutely no issues trying to reverse engineer fuel systems/electronics/ignitions/reduced compression ratios etc.

If it ever comes time to sell or trade(and getting top dollar), anyone in the know about these cars will surely appreciate the fact that an unmolested/stock 930 engine(just as in buying a 930 outright that is stock) rests in the engine bay versus a home-build engine.

I would say, if you track your car...GO for it, do what you want. But just like doing home improvements on a house that you'll probably sell sometime in the future, what may seem slick to you, may actually de-value your investment long term.

Nothings permanent...everything you 'own; or have in life eventually will be gone someday.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Nice patronising tone, your car is an SC with a 930 engine, don't kid yourself hypocrite boy, you're well and truly in the frankenporsche club.
'18 C63S Coupe
Old 08-27-2011, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
The path of the warrior.

Garage
[QUOTE=Tilikum Turbo;6221690]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodsrsr View Post
I believe the 3.2 has the same exact crank and rods as the turbo, plus you also get the added benefit of EFI with the Carrera 3.2 motronic ECU. The main difference in the motors is the compression ratio. I just did this conversion on my rebuilt 3.2. I think that there are several ways to go about doing it, so I suggest doing your research first. In terms of drivability, a turboed 3.2 is a great combination with virtually zero lag and tons of power even at moderate boost levels. There are many guys on this forum that have put together some nice 3.2 turbo conversions....actually kinda inspired me.
Quote:

That's great that many here have went doing the home version of putting a turbo on a NA motor in terms of getting HP on a budget, but Porsche never applied that route doing the 930 on the cheap.

Since a complete 930 engine(although a lot more expensive than a turbo kit) bolted up to my existing tranny/chassis, it was a no brainer for me, in terms of having a car that started up on the first turn of the key, with absolutely no issues trying to reverse engineer fuel systems/electronics/ignitions/reduced compression ratios etc.

If it ever comes time to sell or trade(and getting top dollar), anyone in the know about these cars will surely appreciate the fact that an unmolested/stock 930 engine(just as in buying a 930 outright that is stock) rests in the engine bay versus a home-build engine.

I would say, if you track your car...GO for it, do what you want. But just like doing home improvements on a house that you'll probably sell sometime in the future, what may seem slick to you, may actually de-value your investment long term.

Nothings permanent...everything you 'own; or have in life eventually will be gone someday.

It sounds like your regretting your decision to put a stock turbo motor in vs converting...... I'm there for you...

1976 Turbo Coupe 3.2
2009 Carerra S (997.2)
Old 08-27-2011, 08:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

+1 on that and also for the record the most economical fuel delivery system out there is the Megasquirt system with any number of ignition systems (megasuirt can drive coil packs directly) and well. It is as I said economical completely open source and well supported on many forums this one included, as for kits M&K exhaust is putting together a turbo kit that uses 321 stainless steel components rather than 304 SS which is suspect in the high heat applications of a turbo motor. Just throwing out there another alternative to the expensive motec systems and others that have tuners with expensive software or stuff that most people have never heard of that is manufactured overseas with no one in the US that supports it that I know of. DIYautotune.com has all you need there is also the Bitzracing kit which is pretty much complete and adaptable to a turbo application (that is the one I used) and Tony's support is unmatched and is upgradeable to newer megasquirt ecu's his kit is around 1400 dollars MMMickey I don't know where you are located that would be helpful for forum members to give you better help but also I might mention the simple digital systems (SDS) 1700 dollars about, which is used for some efi applications on this forum and I think is supported well. SO I am just throwing that out there so you don't have one questionable product put out as the most economical kit out there as it is not by far at 2500 for the ecu and harness where the Bitzkit has everything you need except FPR and injectors and SDS is complete with everything including the coilpack except the FPR and injectors nd depending on what you want to do some sensors and the price is around a grand less. I hope you have enough info to make an informed decision on what to use on this project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence88mph View Post
Nice patronising tone, your car is an SC with a 930 engine, don't kid yourself hypocrite boy, you're well and truly in the frankenporsche club.
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me

Last edited by gsmith660; 08-27-2011 at 09:23 PM..
Old 08-27-2011, 08:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

[QUOTE=Tilikum Turbo;6221690][I][COLOR="black"]
Quote:

He's talking about a 100% bolt-on kit here, which is completely reversible if he ever decides to sell the car. He'd be able to go from a 400hp EFI turbo monster back to a 210hp naturally aspirated Carrera in a weekend!
Old 08-28-2011, 03:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I've been involved in many of these conversions. If you go cheap you get cheap and you risk popping a motor. Ever see what slag does to a turbo? And no you aren't going to get 321 headers for $400. The collectors alone cost that much.
Turbocharging a 3.2L is not complicated nor horrifically expensive to do correctly. If you want to go on the cheap, and do it right, use 930 parts. The entire 930 Euro exhaust system will bolt up to a 3.2L engine. SW makes a chip. The turbo needs to be small as you won't be seeing more than 0.7bar boost.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence88mph View Post
Are you sure you own a Porsche, mate?

You remind me of the people trying to slice off the front end of my car in traffic in a fit of rage believing I am "lucky" to own a Porsche...I sure was "lucky" to put myself thru 7 years of university to get an real engineering degree. I don't know what you do for a living, but my 'wealth' was created from scratch...inside my head.

If it were not for "hypocrites" like me whom can make engineering judgement, people like you would never have come out of a cave(and would still be wiping their arse with leaves).

G'day...
Old 08-28-2011, 03:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Garage

It sounds like your regretting your decision to put a stock turbo motor in vs converting...... I'm there for you...
[/QUOTE]

RIGHT...I'm regretting putting a factory 930 engine in a SC(rolls eyes)

I think you and Spence need to share a pint...make that a green pint.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

I took you off ignore just this once and you are the only one on this board I ignore BECAUSE you are consistantly giving poor advise and wrong judgements their is a reason why you get so many sarcastic remarks G'day to you fella.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilikum Turbo View Post
Are you sure you own a Porsche, mate?

You remind me of the people trying to slice off the front end of my car in traffic in a fit of rage believing I am "lucky" to own a Porsche...I sure was "lucky" to put myself thru 7 years of university to get an real engineering degree. I don't know what you do for a living, but my 'wealth' was created from scratch...inside my head.

If it were not for "hypocrites" like me whom can make engineering judgement, people like you would never have come out of a cave(and would still be wiping their arse with leaves).

G'day...
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 08-28-2011, 05:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

The path of the warrior.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilikum Turbo View Post

RIGHT...I'm regretting putting a factory 930 engine in a SC(rolls eyes)

I think you and Spence need to share a pint...make that a green pint.[/QUOTE]

Your just a cheery little fella arent
ya?

1976 Turbo Coupe 3.2
2009 Carerra S (997.2)
Old 08-28-2011, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

I second that!
2012 Ford F150 EcoBoost
Old 08-28-2011, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: