Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Brando

Garage
Augh!!! I'm over my head for a second.

I crossposted this on the engine rebuilding forum but its slightly more busy here.
I'm just going to be honest here. I'm over my head with this step(cam timing). I have my dial gauge set up but I can see how I could screw this step up easily. My main issues I'm having is that I don't understand what is meant by "dial indicator shows that the valve has movedthe amount indicated for the intake valve stroke un overlapping TDC with 0.1mm valve clearance". I read it over and over and my brain just won't process this. Plus I didn't expect the valve to spin the dial 9 times. I'm a little freaked out by this step if youcant tell. Help?
Old 08-22-2011, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Go slow. Do it a few dozen times. There is nothing wrong with doing it again and again until you get used to it. As long as you spun the dots pretty much straight up and are turning it over gently you will not ruin anything. Take your time... it will "click" in your brain before you know it! I was as frustrated as you (I think I might have thrown something across the garage ). You got this.
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 08-22-2011, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Thanks.
Alright I watched a YouTube video of the procedure and feel like I do know what to do. But......one final issue is how to know how many times the dial indicator should turn over for my application. I have a 76 3.0 turbo using sc cams freshly ground. Watching yh video, he was timing a 68 higher lift cam and he measured 5.25 turns or millimeters if I'm not mistaken. But that's just it, I feel like im mistaken especially since read that for a sc cam it's .1mm TDC? Now u know how to do it but just don't know how many revolutions or milimeters.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
And sorry I'm on my phone hence the misspelled posts, sorry
Old 08-22-2011, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I learned how to do cam timing by carefully reading Wayne's engine rebuild book instructions step by step while doing it. It's becomes easy once you've done it and you understand whats going on. You have to be sure the 1 and 4 intake valve clearances are as good as you can get them first.

The camshafts each rotate one full turn or 360 degrees for every 2 full rotations of the crankshaft or 720 degrees.

The measurment or dimension you're adjusting your cam timing for with the tip of the dial gauge set the right depth in the z block holder and located properly on the highest point of the top edge of the number 1 and 4 intake valve spring retainer is how high that intake valve has lifted off the valve seat at top dead center before the intake stroke starts.

The exhaust valve is closing at the same time and that is the moment of intake and exhaust valve overlap during TDC before the intake stroke.

It's confusing at first and then once you've done it it's relatively easy. Most inportant things are that number 1 and 4 intake valve clearances are set properly first and then proper timing chain tension is maintained while you're doing it.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
I am reading the book and it's great . You are all great too thanks. Here is a photo of my gauge.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: