Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
cleaning inside of the intercooler

looking for any thoughts or suggestions on cleaning out the inside of the intercooler. I am pretty sure its never been cleaned out. bad idea, good idea, maybe its a waste of time?
15 Ram Eco Diesel
Old 08-24-2011, 05:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

If there's oil film coating the inside put it upside down in a large tray and pour as much mineral spirits in you can and slosh it around back and forth through the core untill all the oil disolves and mixes with the spirits. Pour it out and let it air dry.

If it isn't real dirty you can save slightly used mineral spirits for the first step in cleaning more parts in the future.

To speed up drying the inside of the core put a shop vac exit side hose into one of the connections and let it blow air through the core for around 5-10 minues or until it's dry.
Mineral spirits won't hurt the aluminum.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Mine was full of oil from when i broke all the rings before i rebuilt it. I tipped it upside down filled it about half way full of gasoline, shook it around with the openings covered then dumped it out. Clean as a whistle after. it was dried out in a few minutes.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 08-24-2011, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

That'll work just as good if you don't mind getting gasoline on and into your skin and your neighbors don't go ballistic from the strong fumes...

Gas is still alot cheaper than mineral spirits but alot more toxic to you and way more flammable so it's an unhealthy risk.. but doable if your real careful.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
do you guys pull all the sensors off? I am assuming so. that orange one behind the long neck is on there really good and i am afraid to get on it being its aluminum.
15 Ram Eco Diesel
Old 08-24-2011, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

yes, and if you don't the solvent will go inside the sensors and swell up the rubber diaphram inside and totally ruin it.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
ok thx
15 Ram Eco Diesel
Old 08-24-2011, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
If there's oil film coating the inside put it upside down in a large tray and pour as much mineral spirits in you can and slosh it around back and forth through the core untill all the oil disolves and mixes with the spirits. Pour it out and let it air dry.

If it isn't real dirty you can save slightly used mineral spirits for the first step in cleaning more parts in the future.

To speed up drying the inside of the core put a shop vac exit side hose into one of the connections and let it blow air through the core for around 5-10 minues or until it's dry.
Mineral spirits won't hurt the aluminum.
Sidenote, not trying to hijack
I'm wondering if this process of cleaning would also work on an oil tanks???
Thanks,
RC
FS 1987 930 DTAFast EFI w/Electronic Dash, 17x9x11" Lindsey Racing Fuchs, Andial 8.39 R&P, C2 Intake, SuperCup Cams, Flame Ringed Heads & Cylinders, TurboKraft Full Bay Intercooler, RearlyL8 Twin Scroll Headers, Big Bullseye Twin Scroll Turbo...SOLD
1999 Harley Davidson Custom 1250 Hardtail Bobber..SOLD
2014 BMW X6M, 2012 BMW 128i, 2014 GMC Sierra, 2015 Cobia 237 Center Console 300hp Yamaha
Old 08-24-2011, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
That'll work just as good if you don't mind getting gasoline on and into your skin and your neighbors don't go ballistic from the strong fumes...

Gas is still alot cheaper than mineral spirits but alot more toxic to you and way more flammable so it's an unhealthy risk.. but doable if your real careful.
well i did also have some weeds that needed killed in the back yard and i live in the country so my neighbors dont give a crap about anything and yes it would work on the oil tank also. Gas evaporates really fast so it works as well as acetone for cleaning.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 08-24-2011, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken911 View Post
well i did also have some weeds that needed killed in the back yard and i live in the country so my neighbors dont give a crap about anything
perfect... i'd still use gas for cleaning parts sometimes if my neighbors weren't so close.

the used dirty stuff works good on fire ants too.

i use fast evaporating wash laquer thinner on some things too.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I used gas...cheap and effective....fock the neighbors if they can't take a joke.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Pine Sol? I have a 5 gallon pail that I use with PS for degreasing parts. Need to let it soak longer, but it's a lot less harsh than gas and cheaper than mineral spirits.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMR-Merlin View Post
Pine Sol? I have a 5 gallon pail that I use with PS for degreasing parts. Need to let it soak longer, but it's a lot less harsh than gas and cheaper than mineral spirits.
any left over residue or water wouldnt be too good for the motor on the other hand gas is meant for it. And using gas took me all of about a minute
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 08-25-2011, 04:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

cleaning

I suspect my 930 has an issue with excessive oil buildup on the interior surfaces of the IC and a resulting loss in cooling effect. I will probably use lacquer thinner, it cleans very good, flashes off well. I would not recommend gasoline as a cleaner.

John G
Old 08-25-2011, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
what about the rubber on top of the intercooler? any way of fixing that(making it straight again) or is it just a replacement item.
15 Ram Eco Diesel
Old 08-26-2011, 05:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: