Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark houghton View Post
So this morning (perfect conditions, about 56 degrees outside) during my morning commute, I did a couple tests. Second gear, steady 2000 rpms until I'm outa the city limits....radar detector on....I put the pedal to the metal. Hold it....hold it.....and full boost hit at about 3800 (hard to tell 'cause things happen awfully fast). Then repeated the test but in 3rd gear, starting at 2000. Peak boost achieved at about 3600. I may repeat this test this afternoon, but starting at 3000 rpms.
This morning's commute, holding at 3000 rpms in 3rd gear - stomp on it - and full boost at about 3800. Then, holding at 3600 no-load rpms - stomp on it - and full boost at 3800 rpms. Just the nature of my 7006 turbo I guess. So for me, the sweet spot is 3600 and beyond rpms where I get almost instant peak boost, with maximum torque but a heartbeat away.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfk32 View Post
Trying to fight the MOD-BUG.. Bad sting bite.....Looking at an intercooler & one of those BorgWarner-billet babies....

Mark - U got cams waiting, I would go with one of those BW'turbos--That will take u to ANOTHER LEVEL INSTANTY..Why play around with 7200--So boost will come in a little sooner...( a little xtra sugar )...OR give me the freakn kilo..
Sorry Walt, the money is already spent so I have no choice but to bolt on the 7200. The cams...well, that will have to be a winter drop-the-engine project. For now, I'm just enjoying the hell outa driving the 930 daily. After fixing that stupid relay under the drivers seat, I now have regained my trust in the machine. Not a single hickup all summer.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark houghton View Post
Sorry Walt, the money is already spent so I have no choice but to bolt on the 7200. The cams...well, that will have to be a winter drop-the-engine project. For now, I'm just enjoying the hell outa driving the 930 daily. After fixing that stupid relay under the drivers seat, I now have regained my trust in the machine. Not a single hickup all summer.

I would just do the cams and sell the 7200..Top end is better on 7006 I believe.
A nice overlap on SC CAMS gives a nice lopey feel & sound.

Did u find a windshield?
Old 09-01-2011, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
The 7006 is not for everyone, it is very laggy old school unit with a limited power band. Turbo choice is a big deal when it comes to what characteristics you desire in power delivery.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

For street driving in my own personal opinion for those who aren't going to operate at at peak rpm, focus on response vs power. Look into a Garrett GT series or GTX frame. I also like good ole Mitsubishi G family turbos too. Depends honestly on budget.

Cole! Good to see you alive and kicking! I'm on hiatus and on vacay ^_^
Old 09-03-2011, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
Hey CreatuR, saw you drive through downtown Franklin today. Looking good.....
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 09-05-2011, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)
R.I.P.

Be realistic with your power goals, choose a turbo based on that. Don't say I want to make 400hp now but some day I want 900hp so I'll get a 900hp turbo now.... you won't be happy

That little Master Power T60 T3/T4 I ran temporarily was fantastic for the guy looking for a quick spooling turbo that supports around 300-325rwhp. Anything over that and it chokes behind a 3.3 liter motor. It's cheap but not a direct replacement
Old 09-05-2011, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Speed Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911nut View Post
Hey CreatuR, saw you drive through downtown Franklin today. Looking good.....
LOL Thanks! Enjoying the cool weather

Saw your car in your profile, really nice. Did you have it out today?
Old 09-05-2011, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatuR View Post
quick spool!
If quick spool is your goal and you don't want to choke that 3.4, my suggestion is a Garrett GT30R with 0.82A/R hot housing. Very quick spooling turbo capable of 500HP. Leave the water ports open and run oil cooling... Works fine.

I don't know much about the latest gen Garrett GTX turbos, but they apparently flow better than the GT's whilst maintaining the same boost response characteristics.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatuR View Post
LOL Thanks! Enjoying the cool weather

Saw your car in your profile, really nice. Did you have it out today?
Finally got it to Franklin a little late. Turbos love cool weather.
PM me when you get a moment. I'd like to see your car up close.
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 09-05-2011, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
Whatever you do, match your turbo to your cams. If you're not keeping the Group B (Andial, RUF, or ?) cams, then what will you be using?

FWIW - I recommend you read this thread:
Group B cams. Why are they low lift?
Old 09-05-2011, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: