Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Engine dying on boost

I have just got my car back from a few upgrades And I have covered around 400 miles all was good until a few days back. When boost was running at around .8 engine died by this I mean completely I dipped clutch all lights came on and would not bump,had to come to a stand still turn key off and re start then it runs perfect . I have had the boost sensor disconnected so as to rule out that but still happens . It is not a sudden sharp stop just feels like you have lost the accelerator , any help would be appreciated

Old 09-03-2011, 05:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
Temporary fuel starvation. Accumulator, fuel filter? Why do you have the overboost disconnected? I would think that after "a few upgrades" you would want to protect your investment. My experience includes one or two overboosts because I did not know the overboost was disconnected by the P/O until I discovered it, reconnected it, and did a face plant into the dash. (The wastegate was incorrectly plumbed). The one or two overboost episodes I had were fun but also broke 6 piston rings. I'm just sayin'.

Mark
Old 09-03-2011, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Let me clear up the sensor disconnection , it was connected at the time the fault happened and it was disconnected only for the purpose of finding out if it was this playing up . The fault still occurred so it has been reconnected .would fuel starvation cause the car not to bump start ? The only way the car will run again is if you turn ignition off and on again. I will also add that a new boost gauge was fitted as part of upgrades and is reading correct. New Teal wastgate fitted with 1 bar spring so this should be good any more input would be received gratefully
Old 09-03-2011, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
Thanks for the clarification. I'm typing as fast as I can because we are in the middle of a wicked thunderstorm right now...
Turning ignition off then on cancels some relay logic. I'm not a DME guy (mine is an EZ69) but I would also check the fuel pump relays. For example, if the crash sensor is triggered, the fuel pumps shut off and will not restart until the key is cycled, I think based on the schematics of the airbag system. You can feed 12V to the fuel pumps manually to check this system, just don't crash.

Good luck,
Mark
Old 09-03-2011, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucittm View Post
Thanks for the clarification. I'm typing as fast as I can because we are in the middle of a wicked thunderstorm right now...
Turning ignition off then on cancels some relay logic. I'm not a DME guy (mine is an EZ69) but I would also check the fuel pump relays. For example, if the crash sensor is triggered, the fuel pumps shut off and will not restart until the key is cycled, I think based on the schematics of the airbag system. You can feed 12V to the fuel pumps manually to check this system, just don't crash.

Good luck,
Mark
Das930, your signature doesn't tell us what year of 930 you're running. Lucittm's (Mark's) comments are good, but not if you're in something earlier than what he's driving. Aint no DME's in a 930, or relay logics or EFI or airbags. These old turbos are pretty basic by comparison.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

My car is a 1985 930 with the following upgrades
Powerhaus inlet manifold 36mm injector blocks and heads
Carrera cam
Recent full engine rebuild
Tail waste gate
Forge blow of valve
K27hfs turbo
Blown six full width intercooler
Different air filter system
Fabspeed full exhaust and muffler with heat
Adjustable wur (Brian leask)
Hope with this information I might get a few ideas thrown up

Old 09-04-2011, 10:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: