Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Red face Help please Parking Brake Cables

I am in the process of removing the rear suspension from my project car new member 930 project

I can't figure out how to pull the parking brake cable out of the trailing arm.

I have it disconnected from the brake internals of the drum and all the parts pulled off the cable end, I just can't pull it through the tube. There looks to be a bushing inside that is preventing it from pulling out.

What am I missing here?

Thanks

Brendon

Last edited by IMR-Merlin; 09-03-2011 at 12:54 PM..
Old 09-03-2011, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
When I dissasembled my Carrera 3.0 I ended up cutting the cable. It was so rusted that the cable just rotated when I tried to turn the castlelated nut.
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 09-03-2011, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsveb View Post
When I dissasembled my Carrera 3.0 I ended up cutting the cable. It was so rusted that the cable just rotated when I tried to turn the castlelated nut.
it's different on the older cars.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

bump anyone.... I'd really like to get these trailing arms off this weekend.

The only manual I have is the Bently for the newer parking brake set up

Thanks
Old 09-04-2011, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

It's so sad that a community of this caliber can't answer a simple question. 45 lookers on this thread and only one response (thanks Jesper). If only I had the older Bentley to guide my way.....

I'd really hate to CUT 2 perfectly good cables for nothing.

Last edited by IMR-Merlin; 09-04-2011 at 07:39 PM..
Old 09-04-2011, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Turbofrog

IIRC mine just pulled out. More forza pulling it or try to hammer it out from the cable end with using some wd40 before for good lube?
79 930: HX40S#16, MS3pro+ID1000+044+E85, Ignition: 123/TUNE/MSD6A, True split BB, 2*turbosmart38
Old 09-04-2011, 09:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
I don't remember it being a problem when I pulled the trailing arm off mine either,, sorry.
Where in S. NH are you ?? I'll be back end of Sept
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 09-04-2011, 09:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9dreizig View Post
I don't remember it being a problem when I pulled the trailing arm off mine either,, sorry.
Where in S. NH are you ?? I'll be back end of Sept
I'm in Manchester. If I look inside of the tube that the cable slides through from the wheel side I can see some sort of plastic or metal bushing that has a hole in it only big enough for the cable to pull through, so the cable end that attaches to the brake mechanism is way to big. I tried to knock it out with a punch and no luck.

Thanks

Brendon

Last edited by IMR-Merlin; 09-05-2011 at 07:59 AM..
Old 09-05-2011, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Ok, so all the manuals I have checked (thanks for the PM's guys) are still not helping. According to the 72-83 911 manual and the 84-89 Bently, I need to remove the "castle" nut from the brake cable and pull it out. My car doesn't have a castle nut on the drum side of the cable.

This is what I have.

Sorry for the cell phone pics

When I disassembled the brake I had to take this out first, the small pin was through the end of the brake cable

Now this is what the cable end looks like now, obviously no castle nut anywhere in sight.

What am I missing here?

This is what our host lists for a cable

Thanks again for all the PM help.

Brendon

Last edited by IMR-Merlin; 09-05-2011 at 08:23 AM..
Old 09-05-2011, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Ok, just looked through the 76-84 Turbo Manual and it has the same info as all the others. Has anyone else seen this set up on the parking brake? If so, can I back/forward date to an easier set up?

Thanks.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Monday bump...

Has anyone else seen this set up?
Old 09-06-2011, 01:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
From what you've shown in your photos, it looks like you should be able to just pull on the cable from the other side and you're done. There should be nothing else holding it. I've done those a few times and that's all there is to it. No magic.
https://flic.kr/p/nVgoAC
Old 09-06-2011, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nreed View Post
From what you've shown in your photos, it looks like you should be able to just pull on the cable from the other side and you're done. There should be nothing else holding it. I've done those a few times and that's all there is to it. No magic.
that's what I thought too, but when I look into the hole where you should be able to pull the cable through, I can see a bushing about the diameter of the cable (not cable and end) that is stopping it out. It appears to be either white plastic or raw aluminum. I have tried to use a punch and hammer, but all it is doing is indenting what ever is in there.

Thanks for the reply though

Brendon
Old 09-06-2011, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
IMHO, the cable is probably rusted in there. They are relatively cheap. Just cut it...
https://flic.kr/p/nVgoAC
Old 09-06-2011, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Cable is not rusted, it moves freely until it hits that bushing. I looked under the parts section in PP and I can't find any cables for my car that don't have the castle nut on it. If I can find a replacement part, I will just cut off the ends.

Brendon
Old 09-06-2011, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I have the service manuals and the procedure for replace the hand brake cable are the same just pull it back. And the part num of your cable is 930 424 051 02 and correspond to 1989/ 930. If that help
Old 09-07-2011, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: