Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Non User

Garage
Exhaust stud snap

Knew it would happen, prepping the girl to take her up to RRIV, some new seals for some annoying leaks, er polybronze front and rear, and oh yeah, have had this "header" system that came with sone other parts, so WTF, might as well try it out, don't need heat right now anyway.

Removed the exhaust. And 4 of six studs came out with the nuts, after examination felt it was a good idea to replace all. I knew I would break some, but hoped for the best. Ended up snapping the last one, barely torqued it, so it was ready.

Anyone tried the $270 stromski kit sold by our host? Does it work with a hand drill? Any input is appreciated.

Old 09-03-2011, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Go searching the forum for it... Paul's was the most recent one.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
That tool worked great for me with a hand drill. I think the bit is a reverse bit, and i could have used a spare, but it worked great on 6 studs for me.

1988 930 coupe - Silver Metallic
3.3L w/GT35R, B&B Headers, RarlyL8 muffler, TurboKraft IC, Tial WG, tecGT based phased sequential EFI & ignition, Wevo shifter/coupler, ...
Old 09-03-2011, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Hey Infrared - bummer to hear that. Diggin up baaaaaad memories here, which continue to haunt (drilled / replaced stud has since backed out - joy!).

I rented that tool from an OHSOKIND Pelican, and it did work very well / easy. Maybe put out the Batsignal and hope for a bite?

Good luck, regardless...

| '07 S6 | '98 M3 vert | '01 M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 S8 | '95 S6 6gang | '88 M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 09-07-2011, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
Ended up buying the dang tool, thankfully its only one stud, so cross your fingers that it goes well. BTW I'll be happy to rent the tool to any good soul out there.

So the original plan was to address a small exhaust leak that turned out to be a burnt up head to header gasket. The gasket burnt up because Ive recently developed an intake leak, or a faulty fuel pump when hot, causing the car to run lean (still need to figure out why). So when pulling the muffler, discovered that the sound deadening packing has been burnt up (see lean issue above). Pull and send for repack (thank you Brian!). So back to fueling. While checking fuses in front, noticed broken front strut brace bracket (off to welder - BTW, hats off as usual to the guys at Vision Motorsports, free weld, free advice, GREAT guys, had to drop off a couple of six-packs). Now need to get another alignment, grrr. But wait, I've got these cool bushings sitting there for the race car, they come from some place called elephant racing... Heh heh heh, they belong on the 930, I'll get another set for the 914 project later.

Phew, now I'm hesitant to pull the lower valve covers and cam chain covers for a new gasket to stop a couple of annoying leaks... I wanna drive my 930 to Monterey in Oct for RRIV!!!

This started as a 1 day at the shop quick fix promise to the wife that would cost a couple of hundred bucks. Now I'm approaching 1500 and that's not including the stolen polybronzes...

Good thing my wife is cool, sorry had to vent cause I know you guys understand...

'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'71 914 track car
Old 09-07-2011, 09:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: