Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianDrives View Post
I think maybe the reason you can not fit, that the beam 915 is different from a transsexual trans 930. Just a thought, if you still have the engine and trans removed you should compare some measures.

New Car Prices
Just went thru this when installing a 3.3 turbo motor and transaxle into a 1979 911SC chassis which used the 915 trans and i believe is the same length as the later 911 chassis that you have. From 1978 onwards a 930 motor is relocated further rearwards in the chassis to make room for the longer bellhousing that was required to house the rubber clutch . This is also a reason for the increase in rear tire pressure recommendation to 43 PSI as now the car is more tail happy with the motor weight further back. So either use a pre1978 930 transaxle bellhousing ( very expensive as they are in demand for the reasons being discussed ) or have a later trans axle bellhousing shortened. Patrick motorsports in Phoenix offeres this service for around $1K if you seperate and just send the bellhousing.

Last edited by voitureltd; 09-06-2011 at 07:27 AM..
Old 09-06-2011, 06:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
Damn spammer...

Suspension by Rebel Racing, Serviced by TLG Auto, Brakes by PMB Performance
http://www.flickr.com/photos/max_911_fahrer/
Old 09-06-2011, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
I am going to report him. He has not been banned yet for some reason. All of his 35 posts or whatever are spam. They make no sense and include a "new car prices" link.

Suspension by Rebel Racing, Serviced by TLG Auto, Brakes by PMB Performance
http://www.flickr.com/photos/max_911_fahrer/
Old 09-06-2011, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Doesn't that mod require the main shaft to be reduced by an inch? If so then the entire tranny must be tore down.
That might also explain the transexual connection.

So I take it the 930 trans crossmember was already modified for use with 915 mounts?
Old 09-06-2011, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Yes, shorten both the bellhousing and mainshaft.
We do this to the G50s, and can do it to a "long" 930, too. $700.

You can dimple the torsion bar housing but only slightly. It's damn tough steel. We just did a G50 swap in a 1987 and it laughed at a 4# hand sledge and an air hammer. If it needs more than that, drill a small hole and see if yours is several layers of steel. It was in a 1976 we did, and we cut a hole in the outermost layer -- all the clearance we needed -- then hammered and welded the perimeter of the hole.

Otherwise I'd see about lowering both the gearbox and engine an even amount and using longer hardened bolts. We've done this for one-off builds. Justify it by telling yourself you're just lowering your car's center of gravity! :-)
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 09-06-2011, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

[QUOTE=TurboKraft;6239136]Yes, shorten both the bellhousing and mainshaft.
We do this to the G50s, and can do it to a "long" 930, too. $700.

Oops, on my last post I failed to mention if you dissamble the transaxle you indeed must also send the mainshaft along with the bellhousing to be machined shorter the same amount. I also had some say to move the tourqe tube forward to relocate the trans mounts but by doing that it would change the dimension of the angle of the halfshafts slightly. i think leaving the trans in the same location will keep the other connections stock and be easier to work with as later repairs are necessary especially to a different owner or repair shop.

Last edited by voitureltd; 09-06-2011 at 07:05 PM..
Old 09-06-2011, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: