Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

sunroof or non sunroof?

So, after the past 4 months of being straight out with work and riding, I now have a window to get some work done on the car new member 930 project . I am considering deleting the sunroof, mainly to shave some weight and gain some head room for the cage (and the current roof doesn't work). Also I am planning on shaving the rain gutters to clean up the car a bit.

My question is, what's the difficulty in deleting the sunroof? Is there any structural differences under the headliner between the cars with the sunroof and the ones without? I have a good fabrication background and I am a competent welder, just want to get some input from anyone who has done this.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Brendon
Old 09-06-2011, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Talk to Damon up in Sunapee he's the best body guy in New England, he's on the board. We removed Chris Benets sunroof when we re-built his car I think the real difficulty is welding without warping.
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 09-06-2011, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I am wondering if there is a support that runs below sunroof area on non-SR cars. I am going to use a sunroof panel as the donor metal and run a 1" (24.5mm for the euro guys ) strip of 20 gauge steel and cross stitch to keep the heat down.

Do you know what Damon's username is here on this forum?

Thanks for the reply

Brendon
Old 09-06-2011, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Brendon,, PM sent
Old 09-06-2011, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

When I bought my car ('75 Carrera) it had a full cage tight to sun roof.
The sunroof cars have a metal sub structure for the sun roof mechanism. You loose about 1 1/2-2" of headroom with the sunroof. We cut most of the roof out, coming in 2" from the front and rear windows and rain gutters. The roof section we cut out weighed 39 lbs. We installed a carbon fibre roof weighing 5 lbs.
I tied the roll bar into the A & B pillars and sections or the remaining roof where the roll bar was close.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

google Damon at Series 900 in Sunapee that's the business that Damon owns
Old 09-06-2011, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumba View Post
I tied the roll bar into the A & B pillars and sections or the remaining roof where the roll bar was close.
I am planning the same on my project.

Thanks for the input.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9dreizig View Post
Brendon,, PM sent
PM sent back. Thanks
Old 09-06-2011, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMR-Merlin View Post
I am wondering if there is a support that runs below sunroof area on non-SR cars. I am going to use a sunroof panel as the donor metal and run a 1" (24.5mm for the euro guys ) strip of 20 gauge steel and cross stitch to keep the heat down.

Do you know what Damon's username is here on this forum?

Thanks for the reply

Brendon
For the euro guys that'll be 25.4mm

In my Carrera 3.0 (older I know) there is nothing but the roof skin. No support structure. This is a non sunroof car.
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 09-06-2011, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumba View Post
When I bought my car ('75 Carrera) it had a full cage tight to sun roof.
The sunroof cars have a metal sub structure for the sun roof mechanism. You loose about 1 1/2-2" of headroom with the sunroof. We cut most of the roof out, coming in 2" from the front and rear windows and rain gutters. The roof section we cut out weighed 39 lbs. We installed a carbon fibre roof weighing 5 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsveb View Post
For the euro guys that'll be 25.4mm

In my Carrera 3.0 (older I know) there is nothing but the roof skin. No support structure. This is a non sunroof car.
Sometimes my finger move quicker that my mind.

Good to know that there is no extra support there. I am thinking I can shave a few pounds from the top of the car. Although that CF roof panel sounds like a good option.

Any info on where I can get one?
Old 09-06-2011, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

seeing as I am flushing the rain gutters, think it would be worth getting a non sunroof panel?

They're fairly cheap and would save some fabricating time

EXCELLENT USED ORIGINAL PORSCHE 911 912 ROOF PANEL | eBay
Old 09-06-2011, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

ok, pulled the trigger on a non-sunroof skin, updates to come.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Picked the skin up last night and was wondering from those who have done this.

Seeing as I am deleting the rain gutters on the car should I just use that as my cut point on the roof panel?

I was thinking of using that and following the rear window line in the back and drilling out the spot welds in the front across the windshield. This way I have the least amount of filler (not including the rain gutters of course).

Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: