Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
glowing turbine housing

Anyone ever notice if the turbine housing glows slightly red at idle when looking at it at night?
I was checking for oil drips and leaks last nite after a short drive while the engine cooled down and noticed the turbine housing had a slight redish glow which is not noticeable during the day. The header pipes did not glow just the turbine housing from the mounitng flange on up.
I did not drive it hard for the last 10 minutes of my trip and it had been idling for 3 minutes to cool down before I shut it off when I noticed the color.

I just want to see if this is normal or not?

My iginition timing is set to 0-2 degrees before TDC at 950rpm so I am not running it too retarded which would normally cause this I dont think. AF ratio at idle is 13.5 to 1 or abouts. Hard to get a good reading off the O2 sensor in the zork tube at idle though, lots of fresh air reversion gives a false reading.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 09-12-2011, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Try advancing the ignition timing at idle to around 10 degrees BTDC and see what happens.
It will idle higher and stronger until you adjust that down on the throttle body but will probably be too advanced during boost.

Then put it back where it's safe for now unless you change and retard the advance curve under boost somehow.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
I just wanted to see if anyone else that has a good running car with proper ignition timing has the same experience with the slight glowing turbine housing. Of course I know it glows while under load but mine was cooled down and idling for 10-15 minutes after a very easy run.
I cannot time anymore initial advance at idle without going too advanced under boost with my stock ignition system.
It would be ok to test more idle advance but really be of no value because I cannot run it there anyway.
Anyone take time to notice there turbo at night?
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 09-13-2011, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
Try advancing the ignition timing at idle to around 10 degrees BTDC and see what happens.
It will idle higher and stronger until you adjust that down on the throttle body but will probably be too advanced during boost.

Then put it back where it's safe for now unless you change and retard the advance curve under boost somehow.
I just wanted to see if anyone else that has a good running car with proper ignition timing has the same experience with the slight glowing turbine housing. Of course I know it glows while under load but mine was cooled down and idling for 10-15 minutes after a very easy run.
I cannot time anymore initial advance at idle without going too advanced under boost with my stock ignition system.
It would be ok to test more idle advance but really be of no value because I cannot run it there anyway.
Anyone take time to notice there turbo at night?
Old 09-13-2011, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
No, glowing headers/turbo at idle is not normal.

Timing or fuel are typical culprits. Verify your timing is where you think it is (manually) and verify your EGT's are similar for each cylinder (use a pyrometer).
Old 09-13-2011, 07:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered Driver

Garage
+1 on what Brian said.

I find more and more these things are trial and error but glowing red is not a good sign for an 'easy' run.

Last edited by Helmsy; 09-16-2011 at 05:38 AM..
Old 09-16-2011, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Partially blocked catalytic converter..??
Old 09-16-2011, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
930s rule the wasteland

Send a message via AIM to h20cooled7
Fuel mixture to lean
1984 944
2001 VW golf TDI
Old 09-16-2011, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: