Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Newbie with an engine question

Hi guys,

Well I just took possession of my first 911 thanks to Pelican!

Its a '78SC that was redone with as an '87 930 (engine/body).

Let's just say I couldn't make up my mind so I went with something in the middle.

One thing that has me curious is how the engine looks a bit different than others that I have seen. Mine has an air filter right behind the intercooler (first picture below) while so many other pics seem to have some sort of black plastic cover that goes across the back of the entire engine (2nd picture)

So is that back thing just the air cleaner setup and it was removed on mine in favour of a large K&N style pod filter?

Now the other thing is I don't have A/C. Could that other big black thing be part of the HVAC?

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2011, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Welcome Trapper,

You'll have to send some pics. of the new ride or you won't pass the mandatory membership requirements here, kind of a tradition thing !!!!!!

The large black unit you referred to is the actual factory air cleaner. Most people remove them and opt for something smaller and aftermarket to get a little more room to get at things. What is in it's place is typical of what is used as a replacement.

Obviously your ac has been removed, not unusual either. Replacements are pretty easy to find used on the classifieds. In fact I have the one off my car in boxes in the garage.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.

Last edited by cole930; 09-13-2011 at 08:16 PM..
Old 09-13-2011, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

the other big black thing is the intercooler...

looks like that motor may have went in recently - the usual layer of stubborn dust on the longitudinals and shock tower cross member has been cleaned off. need sunglasses to look at them now.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Awesome pics. You just gave me a few ideas on how to route some stubborn, ugly lines

But, you may want to think about venting the WUR to your air box for safety reasons. Apparently (someone with a bad experience can weigh in here) if the WUR diaphragm blows it will send fuel out of that little open hole you see there. Some fuel line to the air filter will save a fire by causing the car to go big time rich and stop running. Better than the alternative...
Engine Rebuild & Restorations

Last edited by DSPTurtle; 09-14-2011 at 06:53 PM..
Old 09-14-2011, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSPTurtle View Post
Awesome pics. You just gave me a few ideas on how to route some stubborn, ugly lines

But, you may want to think about venting the WUR to your air box for safety reasons. Apparently (someone with a bad experience can weigh in here) if the WUR diaphragm blows it will send fuel out of that little open hole you see there. Some fuel line to the air filter will save a fire by causing the car to go big time rich and stop running. Better than the alternative...

I am not sure what you are saying..I have lots more to learn. I know the car got a new WUR. Where is the "open hole" you are talking about? Fuel line to the airfilter? How would that work?
Old 09-15-2011, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cole930 View Post
Welcome Trapper,

You'll have to send some pics. of the new ride or you won't pass the mandatory membership requirements here, kind of a tradition thing !!!!!!

I just took some pics for the insurance Co....here's a couple

Old 09-15-2011, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Trapper:

Absolutely Awsome !!!!! Beautiful and Welcome.

I took a second look at the car and went to my garage to make sure my wheel were still there, obviously you have good taste.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Tinkering Pays!!

Garage
Welcome, and I hope you didn't get "raked" with the insurance premium! I have mine through Haggardy [ty]? at $385/yr.

You may want to be very careful not to overfill your engine oil, because that breather [I circled] is pretty low and it would be very easy to end up with a quart of oil all over your engine bay!
Old 09-15-2011, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Trapper, I love the color - but then I'm somewhat biased. Lookin' good!

In reference to what DSPTurtle was describing re: the WUR venting to the air box. In a stock configuration with stock airbox, there is a small rubber hose vent line that goes from the WUR to the airbox. In the event that your WUR craps out (more accurately, the diaphram inside the WUR ruptures), that will cause gas under pressure to shoot through the vent line and end up in the airbox....vs. squirting all over your hot engine should that vent line be missing or directed elsewhere.

Look at the mounting base of your current air filter, to see if it has the fitting in place for the vent hose to attach to. And/or, trace the vent line from your WUR to see where it goes to.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooney265 View Post
Welcome, and I hope you didn't get "raked" with the insurance premium! I have mine through Haggardy [ty]? at $385/yr.

You may want to be very careful not to overfill your engine oil, because that breather [I circled] is pretty low and it would be very easy to end up with a quart of oil all over your engine bay!
I didn't even look at the breather...I got the car and it has been so cold I haven't had much exploring time. Sadly winter will be FAST approaching so I am already looking forward to next spring.

I'm in Canada and in this province we have government monopoly insurance which is typically stupid expensive but in the case of this car not so bad. I was able to register/license it as an antique and then added a "Stated Value" provision the the insurance. Appraiser put it at $30K. So I am at $360 per year for full comprehensive/collision/glass/2M liability and $500 deductible on all.

Not bad considering our '05 Audi is about $1300 per year and likely valued in the $15K range.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark houghton View Post
Trapper, I love the color - but then I'm somewhat biased. Lookin' good!

In reference to what DSPTurtle was describing re: the WUR venting to the air box. In a stock configuration with stock airbox, there is a small rubber hose vent line that goes from the WUR to the airbox. In the event that your WUR craps out (more accurately, the diaphram inside the WUR ruptures), that will cause gas under pressure to shoot through the vent line and end up in the airbox....vs. squirting all over your hot engine should that vent line be missing or directed elsewhere.

Look at the mounting base of your current air filter, to see if it has the fitting in place for the vent hose to attach to. And/or, trace the vent line from your WUR to see where it goes to.

OK, I'm pickin up what you are putting down... I'll take a look.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: