Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

WUR... This time it is personal.

So I have talked to three different people that "rebuild" these WURs. None of them are willing to share the secret sauce... completely understandable. They also will not sell rebuild kits... again, understandable. But, at this point, I have researched most of what it takes to make these things work. I have made the "up-fixin" mod to make the pin adjustable. However, the damn thing will not hold a consistent pressure on hot and cold more then twice in a row. I have a feeling that I am not understanding the mechanical relationship of the disc vs. the plug. When I was taking it apart to clean everything the "disc" came out of the body. I can't figure out how deep to set it back in and what relationship it has on the cold vs. hot pressure. I knocked it down... I assume too far, but there has got to be a more scientific explanation of what it will do when it is too high or too low.
Again, the pin mod was easy... I am talking about the disc. The part where the fuel lines connect. (I even replaced the heating element from another core to make this one work).

The piece I am talking about is the black "disc" on the left side of this picture. Can someone take a shot at explaining what I am doing wrong and maybe how to get the dang thing to be consistent in the pressures. Everytime I get to 2.2 BAR at cold, it goes way too high at hot. Ugh... I am past the point of caring how much it costs to rebuild or buy a new one... I want to get this little bastage fixed all by myself

Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 09-15-2011, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I had wandering pressure issues with my WUR and it turned out that black disk was loose. It would turn left and right. Even a tiny bit of movement screws with your pressures. Mine is now pressed in as well as staked with a pin to eliminate the chance of any movement. My mechanic would set the pressures then when he would put the fuel lines back on the disk would move a hair and change the settings. It took a few hours to figure it out. All this while strapped to a dyno. I feel your pain!
Old 09-15-2011, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Do you have a picture of how they "staked" it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986911 View Post
I had wandering pressure issues with my WUR and it turned out that black disk was loose. It would turn left and right. Even a tiny bit of movement screws with your pressures. Mine is now pressed in as well as staked with a pin to eliminate the chance of any movement. My mechanic would set the pressures then when he would put the fuel lines back on the disk would move a hair and change the settings. It took a few hours to figure it out. All this while strapped to a dyno. I feel your pain!
Old 09-15-2011, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Found pictures of mine. Below is the bad one:

Here is the new Leask

Old 09-15-2011, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Nope, all I know is there is some type of pin in it somewhere. When I told Leask what was wrong with mine the said the pin had probably fallen out making the disk mobile.

Last edited by 1986911; 09-15-2011 at 05:49 PM..
Old 09-15-2011, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

No help from me, but I aplaud your tenacity. Lucky for me my BL adjustable works just fine, and I kept my old original in perfect condition as a backup.
If I were in your shoes, I would be doing exactly the same, getting pissed at some simple mechanical thing that's trying to stump me. No way you F'ing bastad, I shall win the war!!!
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

So I got an idea... it might be the PBR talking, but I have an idea. I tried this on my mock up core and I think it will work. I am looking for dissenting opinions so please do not be shy!!!

If what I am really trying to do with the disc is hold it in place once I get the initial cold and hot pressure set correctly, why can't I just put a set screw in the body to give a little extra friction to keep things from moving around???

This area of the WUR is vented to atmosphere anyway so it should not affect any of the boost settings. (well actually vented to the air cleaner to prevent fire if the diaphragm splits).

Again, these are pictures from the mock up core, but I think I may do this in the morning...

First pic is the hole that I machined and threaded into the side of the body where the Disc resides...

Second pic is the set screw in the hole (way too long a screw but used to facilitate photo and suggestions)...

And finally the pic of how the whole thing would fit together (again, way too long of a screw but good for photo)...

Based on 1986911's comments above, I think the disc is moving at two different points... when I tighten the fuel line and when I "knock" the pin back down on the other end of the WUR. This set screw should provide enough friction to keep that from happening in the future.

What say 'ye Pelican brain trust???

Last edited by DSPTurtle; 09-15-2011 at 06:52 PM..
Old 09-15-2011, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

why even bother. . . geez, goto programable EFI
Old 09-20-2011, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Searching on this same problem for my car I found this drawing that helps me understand how to set cold and control pressures...

Old 09-20-2011, 08:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
a) it looks good but where do you plug in the USB cable ? :-)
Seriously get a programable WUR..
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 09-20-2011, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: