Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Hmmmm....

I took the beast out today to pick up my daughter from kindetgarden, she loves the sound. That second is no good, it keeps growlig at me.
From the great response to this thread, I think my best option will be the pre 78 930 or a modified later 930. I'll give the friendly folks at Msroadrace a call. Anyone here been dealing with them before?
G

Last edited by Hoyo; 09-20-2011 at 07:21 AM..
Old 09-19-2011, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Before I recently had my car EFI'd by TurboKraft. it made about 390RWHP. Unfortunately, it was a real dog off the line. Then a few years ago I read a column by Bruce Anderson on replacing the standard R&P with an 8:41. He claimed it was an easy, no-brainer way to make the car far more tractable around town. I took his advice and put an 8:41 in. Overnight the car was transformed. It blew out of the hole like a rocket. Top speed was reduced somewhat, but since I rarely go over 130mph I really didn't care. The R&P--brand new--cost $1800 if I remember correctly. You might want to think about a 4-speed, and change to an 8:37 or 8:41 at the same time. Just a thought.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom84930 View Post
Before I recently had my car EFI'd by TurboKraft. it made about 390RWHP. Unfortunately, it was a real dog off the line. Then a few years ago I read a column by Bruce Anderson on replacing the standard R&P with an 8:41. He claimed it was an easy, no-brainer way to make the car far more tractable around town. I took his advice and put an 8:41 in. Overnight the car was transformed. It blew out of the hole like a rocket. Top speed was reduced somewhat, but since I rarely go over 130mph I really didn't care. The R&P--brand new--cost $1800 if I remember correctly. You might want to think about a 4-speed, and change to an 8:37 or 8:41 at the same time. Just a thought.
That is exactly what has deen done to my favorite 930 cars I drive the most . Really makes a great difference

Last edited by voitureltd; 09-19-2011 at 06:32 PM..
Old 09-19-2011, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyo View Post
Hmmmm....
I'll give the friendly folks at Msroadrace a call. Anyone here been dealing with them before?
G
I've bought from them before, with small parts, but no complaints. I would clairify what was done as to the internals to the transaxle. if inspected inside with no problems a rebuild is not necessary. It has limited slip, does it also have the 8;41 or 8;3 something R&P gears?/ if so a bargin as opposed to any other way to put more power down for what the alternatives cost( unless you can find a short bellhousing pre 1978 RUf comp 5spd ) for a not too much more price. I have one in this 1977 930 turbo carrera and it is the same as a 8:41 1st through 4th but has the 5th for over 150MPH. A definate favorite to drive.

Last edited by voitureltd; 09-19-2011 at 06:50 PM..
Old 09-19-2011, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Quick update.

My plan, "ignore it and it will go away", did not work that well.

Second will not engage any more.
One of our local Porsche expert had a long -86 930 transmission for sale. 40%LSD and low mileage.
He has mounted boxes like this in cars with the same set up I have. Small mods and 5mm clearance to the torsion tube should do it. He will do the install and also have a look at my engine for "small" improvement's at the same time.
Car is being dropped off in a week and a half.

G
Old 10-06-2011, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Then....8.8K and a month later.

The -86 930 4 speed is in and I'm happy.

The 8.8k includes new clutch plates, install, the box, gear oil, motor oil, 6 lower plugs and the stuff needed to convert to 930 vs 915.

G
Old 11-14-2011, 02:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Brando

Garage
How did he do the t-tube?
Old 11-14-2011, 05:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

You don't have to do anything to the torsion tube.
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 11-14-2011, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Dpsturtle
I've followed your swap and noticed your 930. What exactly do you do to fit a standard 930 into the 915 cars?
Old 11-14-2011, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

When you have everything out you will see two little triangular tabs up on the torsion tube. It is these two little triangles that cause the interference, not the actual torsion tube. The key is to notch the tabs and bend a small portion out of the way. You don't want to cut them completely out because of the support that they offer. It took me a few different fittings of the motor and tranny to slowly notch them back just enough to make room. You also have to mod the engine tin at the rear of the car and maybe the down pipe to the turbo if you have a stock BOV. The standard 911 is about 1-2" shorter in the engine bay than a 930. It's a tight fit and you have to be very mindful of the therotime sensor wires and the other temp/pressure sensors, but it will fit.
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 11-14-2011, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSPTurtle View Post
When you have everything out you will see two little triangular tabs up on the torsion tube. It is these two little triangles that cause the interference, not the actual torsion tube. The key is to notch the tabs and bend a small portion out of the way. You don't want to cut them completely out because of the support that they offer. It took me a few different fittings of the motor and tranny to slowly notch them back just enough to make room. You also have to mod the engine tin at the rear of the car and maybe the down pipe to the turbo if you have a stock BOV. The standard 911 is about 1-2" shorter in the engine bay than a 930. It's a tight fit and you have to be very mindful of the therotime sensor wires and the other temp/pressure sensors, but it will fit.
Thanks, been looking all day for this info.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: