Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

SC Cams Fueling Requirement

Is it possible that having SC cams in the motor would require to run the CIS richer than specification?
The motor will not start and run at 2.2Bar cold control pressure. But when lowered to 1.5-1.7Bar it starts and runs just fine.
Everything else on the motor is stock except the SC cams and the K27 (which should not matter at idle speeds).
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 09-16-2011, 12:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
i know they said the cams would change the idle on mine?
15 Ram Eco Diesel
Old 09-16-2011, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

So I called around and spoke to a few people... sounds like the SC cams should not be my problem. Possibly timing and/or CO/mixture. Timing light, check. CO tester... hmm, anyone got a got solution for that less then $5,000? I don't think the Gunson is the way to go at this point. Although it would be nice to have a piece that is easy to check both cars. I am thinking a wideband AFR might be good (I love the one in my blown stang) but moving it around cars would be a biatch. Anyone got a better idea? Oh, and I use Macs so I am not sure that an Innovate would be prudent at this juncture...
Old 09-16-2011, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
EFI Express : VEMS Round Wideband Gauge [vemsround] - $299.00

very good product.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Innovate MTX-L

Innovate 3844 MTX-L Digital Wideband Air Fuel Gauge Kit
You'll get opinions from everyone that has bought one and in my opinion innovate AFR gauges are the best and most accurate. I think they are the only ones that you can recalibrate to new or aging bosch wideband oxygen sensors.

I used to have an innovate LC-1 with analog G3 gauge and now I have the innovate MTX-L digital AFR gauge that has a more modern and simpler digital controller built into the gauge body than the earlier seperate analog LC-1 controller.

It is incredibly accurate and stable and it hooks up really easy with only 3 wires and the cable from the oxygen sensor to the gauge that plugs in.
They sell a longer sheilded extension cable with the special plugs on the ends to go from the gauge back to the wideband oxygen sensor than the 8 foot long cable that comes with the gauge for around $45, you'll need that.
A weld on O2 sensor bung is included.

oh yeah, no need for a computer so MAC or PC makes no diference...
Old 09-17-2011, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
You'll get opinions from everyone that has bought one and in my opinion innovate AFR gauges are the best and most accurate. I think they are the only ones that you can recalibrate to new or aging bosch wideband oxygen sensors.
+1
I've been driving around with an LM-1 as my constant companion sitting in the passenger seat all summer. Adding a permanent installed gauge would be great but I'd end up staring at it constantly and run into the back of a garbage truck or something like that
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 09-17-2011, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

To me it is very important to have an accurate one. The inovative was rated the most accurate gauge out there. So thats what I went with. I have seen test where other gauges were off by 1/2 a point. that was too much for me. The inovative was accurate to .1 + or-.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

There are like 43 different options on the innovate. I want something I can move from car to car with a tailpipe sniffer. Does anyone have a setup that they can move from car to car and still get accurate readings?
Old 09-18-2011, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSPTurtle View Post
There are like 43 different options on the innovate. I want something I can move from car to car with a tailpipe sniffer. Does anyone have a setup that they can move from car to car and still get accurate readings?
You can move an LM-1/LM-2 around. You would have to weld bungs into each car but having the O2 sensor in a bung is more accurate than a tailpipe clamp.
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 09-18-2011, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Lots of good input here. If all you're trying to do is get a baseline at idle, a Gunnson Gastester sniffing up the rear will get you into a close ballpark tune. That's what I used to use to set my idle mixture before installing my AFR gauge, but of course the Gunnson doesn't do anything for you when roaring down the road.
I'm still running with an on-board LC-1 and G3 gauge setup from Innovate. Works fine for my needs but...as 911Nut so succinctly implied...a person has to work at keeping his eyes off the gauge and onto the garbage truck in front of you. The fun part is watching your AFR's, the boost gauge, the speedometer, and listening to the radar detector at the same time as watching the road. These 930's immerse you in the moment for sure.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I'm selling my LM-1 kit if anyone is interested. I checked the tail pipe clamp vs the weld in bung, in my case there was a .5 difference. I'm going to install the LC-1 kit. I plan on mounting the gauge in a stock gas gauge housing so I can see it, a/f at the top and oil tank gauge at the bottom. Anyway here is the link to the LM-1. Roonuts :Innovate LM-1 w/accessories
Old 09-20-2011, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: