Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Clutch, Gear Selection, and fuel questions

I have a few questions that I couldn't quite find answers to when searching the forums...

First the simple one...what octane gas should be used? I have an '87 930 engine. I seem to be conflicted. I've been using the highest octane I could fine (Premium 91). Should I continue?

Now for the clutch. It was recently redone by PO (centrifugal clutch). The tranny is a 915 so I am guessing with the extra torque they wanted to prevent slipping? Anyways it works good but man do you need to put a lot of leg into pushing it. Its OK for me but the lil wife is not as comfortable with it. Is their a way to make it easier to press?

Finally...I inadvertently found that the car seems to start out in 2nd real nice. Going from 1st to second seems to be real jerky and getting it into 2nd sometimes takes a tad of work...so is it "bad" to start in 2nd? i.e., bad on the clutch?

That's it for now...I guarantee I will continue to pick people's brains!
Old 09-16-2011, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I always use the highest octane available. Pre-detonation (knocking) on these motors doesn't make them wear out quicker, it blows them up.
As for the clutch, the only way to make it easier is to go to a lighter pressure plate. That could cause slippage with the 930 power. Some clutch kits (including the pressure plate) are easier than others. But, you have to keep in mind, it is all cable operated. None of that fancy hydraulic stuff you find in cars now where the clutch is as easy to depress as the accelerator
I use the clutch excuse to keep people (including my lovely wife) from driving my car
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 09-16-2011, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSPTurtle View Post
I always use the highest octane available. None of that fancy hydraulic stuff you find in cars now where the clutch is as easy to depress as the accelerator
I use the clutch excuse to keep people (including my lovely wife) from driving my car

Tell me about it...I was driving the 911 for a few days and then went back to the Audi...I dang near put my foot through the floorboard when I went to clutch
Old 09-16-2011, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
i just put a brand new sachs clutch in my 84 930 and its much easier than the stock rubber doughnut clutch. it is much easier to depress.
15 Ram Eco Diesel
Old 09-16-2011, 08:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: