Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Relocate WUR?

I'd like to move my WUR over more to the passenger side of the engine to make it easier to adjust. I have the large stock airbox, except with a flat K&N and no compartment prior to the filter. The flat portion of the airbox covers the WUR, and even with the IC off I still can't get to the underside of it. I found someone local that will make me custom fuel lines to any length.

I've searched and searched and haven't found any threads where someone moved theirs. I'm just looking for ideas on mounting before I dig into it. Has anyone done this and have a pic?

I'm not much of a fabricator, but if I come up with something interesting I'll post it. If you don't see anything further, it's cuz' it turned out like $h!t

Thanks!
17 NSX - Nouvelle Blue
Old 09-22-2011, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeMvr View Post
I'd like to move my WUR over more to the passenger side of the engine to make it easier to adjust. I have the large stock airbox, except with a flat K&N and no compartment prior to the filter. The flat portion of the airbox covers the WUR, and even with the IC off I still can't get to the underside of it. I found someone local that will make me custom fuel lines to any length.

I've searched and searched and haven't found any threads where someone moved theirs. I'm just looking for ideas on mounting before I dig into it. Has anyone done this and have a pic?

I'm not much of a fabricator, but if I come up with something interesting I'll post it. If you don't see anything further, it's cuz' it turned out like $h!t

Thanks!
Talk to Cole, I believe he's in the process of moving the entire fuel distributor as well as the WUR.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Steve:

You can actually move it anywhere you want. You will have to lengthen the fuel line, return line, and the wiring harness, most likely. I haven't moved mine yet because the new IC won't be here until next week and its much larger than stock. I'll need to see what available space I have once the IC is here.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Cole: Yeah, I know, but I'm just not very creative and was looking for a nice setup idea to rip off BTW, I've really enjoyed your build and your spirit. If I had your fabricating skills and tools I'd have this baby licked by now!
17 NSX - Nouvelle Blue
Old 09-22-2011, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
As Cole stated you can put it anywhere you want. I added several gages and sending units in the loop on my system, any good hose shop can make whatever you need.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Steve:

I appreciate the kind words but, if the truth were known, I am just an old fart that stumbles through all this s--- just like most everyone else on here. I really do use nothing other than a bench vice, a cut off wheel, a Dremel, and a ball peen hammer.

I just post the pretty pictures of the one that worked, over in a corner somewhere there are the 20 pieces I f----- up before I got one right.

You just hang in there and keep trying. Always remember the famous words of my wise old grandfather " With perseverance and a little sweet oil you could f--- a cat"

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.

Last edited by cole930; 09-23-2011 at 05:12 AM..
Old 09-23-2011, 05:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Here's where I'm going with this project. This unused bracket on the right side of the manifold looks like a good spot. I tapped the holes M8x1.25.

18 gauge steel plate bent to level. It's slotted where it bolts to the bracket for easy removal and access to the spark plugs.

The (almost) finished product. There is a lot more room than it looks in the pic. I can easily get under the WUR to adjust the allen screws without removing anything. I pick up the new, extended fuel lines and vent hose tomorrow.

I'm liking how this is turning out. I definitely need to get rid of that "french horn" air box. Winter project...
17 NSX - Nouvelle Blue

Last edited by PrimeMvr; 09-27-2011 at 08:55 PM..
Old 09-27-2011, 08:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Steve:

Well done Bud !!!! See before you know it your going to be a regular McGiver.

Cole
Old 09-27-2011, 09:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Great idea, I am interested in doing the same PrimeMvr, Where did you get the extended lines?
Old 09-28-2011, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilonly View Post
Great idea, I am interested in doing the same PrimeMvr, Where did you get the extended lines?
Subscribing.....
What good is an adjustable WUR when you have to remove so much crap...as well as the WUR...to get to it.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark houghton View Post
Subscribing.....
What good is an adjustable WUR when you have to remove so much crap...as well as the WUR...to get to it.
I don't have a/c (deleted it) so I will make the adjustable WUR the centerpiece of the right side of my engine bay. It will be very easy to adjust. Can't wait until winter to start.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Once you get it set correctly the WUR better be "set it and forget it" or else we got way more going on here! At least that is how Bosch designed it in the first place...
Too much mucking with things can get other things (expensive things) F'd up in a hurry.
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 09-28-2011, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Here's someones pic I saved a few years ago of another WUR mount where the right side air pump diverter valve mount used to be.
It's nicely done, there are holes drilled in it to reach the allen head adjustments Brian Leask puts into the bottom of his adjustable WUR while it's mounted. Good for quick side of the road adjustments while getting it dialed in.
That can take some time in the beginning if you've done alot of other modifications.

I thought about doing this when using the big air cleaner but with a K&N filter on top of the CIS intake everything is easy to get at.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
Here's someones pic I saved a few years ago of another WUR mount where the right side air pump diverter valve mount used to be.
It's nicely done, there are holes drilled in it to reach the allen head adjustments Brian Leask puts into the bottom of his adjustable WUR while it's mounted. Good for quick side of the road adjustments while getting it dialed in.
That can take some time in the beginning if you've done alot of other modifications.

I thought about doing this when using the big air cleaner but with a K&N filter on top of the CIS intake everything is easy to get at.
I like that! Gives me some ideas. Like many of us with adjustable WUR's, we spent too much time dicking around getting it all setup where we wanted it (even though Brian delivers a product pre-adjusted pretty darn well). But still, I would like to have easy access for when the urge or symptoms point me to some minor tweeking. These cars age...things change...thus the occasional need to "lay our hands" on things once again. I haven't adjusted mine since my McGiver BOV installation/boost recirc manifold delete 'cause it was still close enough for comfort. But I feel the need to fine-tune, only because it's there (like climbing a mountain, which I used to do in before I got older and wiser).
Old 09-28-2011, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Fairman's example is nice, but I don't have a mill. I really like the permanent pressure gauge that Brian installed, I think that will be an addition after I redo the air box.

I learned that it's possible to misalign the fuel line at the top of the plunger on the FH. When you do that, even though it feels tight, it spews fuel everywhere. That's a fun butt puckering moment!

I tweaked my pressures and will get it out for a test run tomorrow.
SP 6.6
CP 1.4
WP 3.7
BP 2.9

New lines and vent hose:

All done:
17 NSX - Nouvelle Blue
Old 10-03-2011, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: