Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Driver

Garage
I'm surprised no one's suggested a Zork tube, yet.

Period correct. Cheap. Reliable. Easy to obtain. Easy to install. And sounds great.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHNELE View Post
There is a sick Becker Gran Prix only available in Europe with bluetooth, Nav, iPod and all the bells and whistles looks period correct too, but it is about $2k with the exchange rate.
That's got a nice classic look, would like to hear one!
Old 09-30-2011, 02:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

I'm happy with my Denon but it was pricey and is damn near featureless.

Denon DCT-100 by willtel, on Flickr
Old 09-30-2011, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cole930 View Post
23 years ago the car had a radio. I could never hear it over the screams of the
passengers so I replaced it with something useful.

Cole
I know a little late to the show, but I'm assuming one of those is a passenger eject switch?
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'74 914 track basket-case
Old 09-30-2011, 06:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Jeez Cole... you really know how to hijack a thread don't you!!!

I still need to find a radio guys. Something under a grand please.
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 09-30-2011, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

I have an alpine with boston accoustic speakers, amp under passenger seat and a 10" powered kenwood subwoofer under the drivers seat
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 10-01-2011, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Check out swstereo.com
Old 10-01-2011, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
alpine has a nice unit. around 350.00 you can add satellite to it, and it has a ipod plug in. i will post a pic of mine. no gps or anything.
15 Ram Eco Diesel
Old 10-01-2011, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

yeah mine has an ipod attachment
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 10-01-2011, 08:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

JB:

Didn't mean to hijack the thread I just figured with all this techie s--- it could use
a little humor.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Kartoffelkopf

Garage
DSP - I was on the lookout for something non-blingy (do NOT like the flashy lights, garish buttons, etc). Have used Alpine in the past, but even they've gone the route of boy-racer these days.

I bought a Parrot Asteroid a few months ago, as it's nice and sober looking (you don't have to have the album art showing, per the shots on the site)....As a gadgeteer, it can also plug and play with stuff, which i wanted/needed; I have an iPod Classic in the glovebox, there's a GPS receiver included too, and it's underlying OS is Android. The unit is about half the depth of a normal single DIN unit, nothing slides in or out, flaps down, etc, and it sits beautifully flush with the dash - I'll take a pic an upload in the next day or so. The control panel is also removable when leaving the car.

Works well, doesn't have loads of tiny fiddly buttons, clear to read whilst driving, can also use a simple USB stick for music instead of iPod if you want...has built in amp (although I use an external Massive Audio unit in the luggage comp) and connects to your bluetooth phone consistently, even when unit is "off" (in reality, its in standby....just displays the time but will still accept incoming calls)

Only been available for a few months and I got mine for 299 in the UK...not sure if available in the US (should be, but Parrot is a French company, so who the f*** knows)

BTW, I ran a top-end Becker Cascade unit in my old GT3, and then moved it across initially to the 964...what a pile of s**t....do not buy Becker, they've stopped making consumer aftermarket units, there is little support now....and most scarily, mine decided to spontaneously combust the other month, THANKFULLY I was in the car at the time fitting the last piece of new carpet when I noticed smoke (and NO, I hadn't snagged a wire, was nowhere near) coming from under the dash.

Spoke to the UK service agents, and they've seen this before. Upon diagnosis, the whole main-board has blown....the headunit new was over 900 and to repair was likely to be >450...it had to go back to Germany, new board, then calibrated (the Bluetooth unit), then shipped back, etc, etc...I didn't persue...I'd had nothing but niggles with this pile o'crap, s/w glitches, you name it...yes it looked nice and stock, but really, for that money was outperformed by even the most modest aftermarket unit that retails @ 150.

I'm just thankful my car didn't go up with it.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: