Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Radio Recommendations

That's right, I said radio... LOL
Anyway, I was looking on Crutchfields site and saw all kinds of cool stuff. Heck, they even had a built in GPS with a huge screen that pops out. (Yup, I am old school)
Has anyone installed one of those fancy GPS receiver radios in a 911? It seems like the top of the dash juts out too far to let it open properly.
I think it would be neat to retrofit my '86 with built in GPS. Then again, the only thing I want my radio to do is play from my iPhone and charge the iPhone at the same time.
I don't want external amps or anything more then a head unit that needs power and antenna wires. Simple, simple, simple. Shoot, the engine is too loud to appreciate anything more than that anyway.
Recommendations???
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 09-27-2011, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSPTurtle View Post
...they even had a built in GPS with a huge screen that pops out. (Yup, I am old school). I think it would be neat to retrofit my '86 with built in GPS. Then again, the only thing I want my radio to do is play from my iPhone and charge the iPhone at the same time.
Wait a minute now, you're speaking in tongues. Old school and GPS are oxymorons. "Old School" is 8 tracks and AM radio stations, or at the very least cassette tapes. They didn't even have satellites orbitting back then to support that new-fangled GPS stuff. And iPhone...what is that?

I still have the original Blaupunkt that came in a box with the car (can't use it, the security code was not included). Instead, the car has a Panasonic POS that plays music via FM (or them thar' new fangled CD thingies) through absolutely crappier speakers. 'Course, my old hearing is pretty well shot from a lifetime of noisy hobbies so the music thing does't do much for me anyway.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

What, I can't hear you. My tympanic membrane is permanently tuned to listening for whistles from boost leaks over a 98db exhaust. LOL
I had an 8-Track in my 914. I even went to garage sales to scout out some old tapes. Thank goodness I sold that bucket of cash magnetic rust.
I really don't want to add any additional wiring so if everything is built into a head unit that fits in the stock space, I am good to go. I like the idea of having GPS so I don't have to look down at my iPhone every 30 seconds. Plus, I hear they even play movies. Now that would be something... a 9 hour road trip in a 1986 Carrera with GPS guiding the way while watching LeMans on the tiny screen. That would be killer... especially if I can get the A/C to work.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
If you actually want to hear anything in the car, install one of these under the passenger seat with your new head unit. You'll actually hear some bass, and your lady friends will love riding in the car:

Kenwood - KSC-SW10
2004 BMW R1100S
Old 09-28-2011, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

23 years ago the car had a radio. I could never hear it over the screams of the
passengers so I replaced it with something useful.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Blitzkrieg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole930 View Post
23 years ago the car had a radio. I could never hear it over the screams of the
passengers so I replaced it with something useful.

Cole

I'm about to do this. Need somewhere to put my AFR gauge instead of the ashtray.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Cole, thats a good one

Back in '75 Crutchfield was the lowest price 800 number mail order place with a catalog to buy car stereos from but nowadays they have the highest prices. Anything you see in their limited selection can be found for less in a few minutes with a google search.

Jazz/funk music is very important to me, I used to play guitar in bands years ago and I have a killer sound system in my car.
Amazon and ebay sellers are a good search start and then surf the links from there.

I've had good luck and gotten the lowest prices from these 2 ebay/amazon sellers:
Car Audio & Electronics : VMInnovations.com
MillionBuy sells car audio, amplifiers, stereo, auction, subwoofers

and for some overall low price searches...
Pricewatch - Web's first Price Comparison site. Find the lowest price, deals and store reviews on tech and more
Buy.com - Computers, Electronics, Digital Cameras, Books, DVDs, Music, Games, Software, Toys, Sports
Ben's Bargains - Coupons, Bargains, Freebies
Old 09-28-2011, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
Cole, thats a good one

Back in '75 Crutchfield was the lowest price 800 number mail order place with a catalog to buy car stereos from but nowadays they have the highest prices. Anything you see in their limited selection can be found for less in a few minutes with a google search.

Jazz/funk music is very important to me, I used to play guitar in bands years ago and I have a killer sound system in my car.
JFairman..

Firstly, I'm not surprised that you have a killer system in your car... cause its a killer! And like many others on the forum.. I love the sound of my engine.. but damn I love the sounds produced by a well laid-out system.. one of the things I'm adding to mine too.

Secondly, I noticed that about Crutchfield too.. they're limited, and priced too high.

Thx for the input/info!

P-
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 09-28-2011, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I leave the stereo off and just listen to the motor most of the time too... but sometimes when feeling good I crank it loud with lots of bass from the 10" subwoofer behind the driver seat and 8" door speakers, etc, all powered by a 2400watt 4 channel amp (thats car stereo highly exaggerated watts) with seperate subwoofer level control.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I have one of those gizmos that you dial into your fm radio and the ipod plays over the radio. Excellent sound verrrrry simple.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
McIntosh looks period correct and is beautiful sounding too with my MB Quart speakers.
"the 930 is THE CAR that started my PORSCHE love affair..." Magnus Walker
Old 09-28-2011, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHNELE View Post
McIntosh looks period correct and is beautiful sounding too with my MB Quart speakers.

Yeah, I don't like the newer style blingy radios with all kinds of strobes and colors going on. My Alpine is close to period correct although its CD and not cassette.. I had to get rid of all those.

I like my old skool Boston Acoustics and ADS speakers along combination of older amps for the warm mellow sound.. not that elcectronic bob and buzz you get with some of the newer digital amps and head units etc..
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 09-29-2011, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I dig the Blaupunkt Toronto 410BT because it's understated, has all the modern features I'm after and being a Blaupunkt, it just seems right in a Porsche. I keep meaning to order one, will do it now.

I agree with SCHNELE, McIntosh is great stuff.

'18 C63S Coupe
Old 09-29-2011, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Radio???
Old 09-29-2011, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Nakamichi is worth considering too - not at all blingy but sounds great
2004 BMW R1100S
Old 09-29-2011, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard930 View Post
I have Nakamichi rear speakers... I almost ripped them out to throw away. Are they any good?
Old 09-29-2011, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Don't know about their speakers but the HU sounds great.
2004 BMW R1100S
Old 09-30-2011, 04:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard930 View Post
Love Nakamichi HU's, but they really haven't kept up with the times, and don't offer much in the way of iPod controls.

This is a very clean HU, but it's high-end and pricey:

DEX-P99RS - Reference Series CD Tuner with Digital DSP and USB Port with Digital Direct Signal Transmission | Pioneer Electronics USA
Old 09-30-2011, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
There is a sick Becker Gran Prix only available in Europe with bluetooth, Nav, iPod and all the bells and whistles looks period correct too, but it is about $2k with the exchange rate.
"the 930 is THE CAR that started my PORSCHE love affair..." Magnus Walker
Old 09-30-2011, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Just $2k??? Wow... umm, my car is in my garage and my knuckles are bleeding from it. If I was able to put a $2K head unit in an old 911, it would be with Chris getting proper care and feeding
Just kidding Mr. Phillip. But, I was thinking $1K for a GPS/DVD HU was way too much for a car that is basically supposed to go really fast in a straight line while making an obnoxious amount of noise.
I just want my iPhone to charge while I listen to a playlist. LOL
Old 09-30-2011, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: