Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Manassas, VA

Garage
Jim,
Go with the ARP studs for exhaust and you will never worry about header studs again. A bit pricy but the function complements our cars. I wish Porsche had used the high-temp SS alloy in these exhaust applications. The P/Ns are: (1) 400-8015 (contains 8 sets) and (1) 400-8005 (contains 4 sets) SS M8 x 1.25 x 57mm header stud, washer, and 12 pt. nut in a set (assuming you have the thick exhaust flanges). Costly, but worth never having to swear at an exhaust stud.
Mark
Old 10-08-2011, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Mark - Thanks for posting the ARP part numbers, what is the typical cost of these studs from ARP?
Thanks!
Yasin
Old 10-09-2011, 01:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
It only took about a week after I got mine last Spring to set up a table with all of the possibilities of upgrades that I could find or would want. I came up with this table for the RarlyL8 upgrades.

Duel Outlet Muffler $825.00
Headers with Heat Exchangers $2,695.00
Bell Intercooler $1,495.00
K-27 7200 Turbo $1,295.00
Sub Total $6,310.00

Of course you have to get with your shop to figure the labor rate. Also, Brian's site also says that you need an adapter to fit the Intercooler into the BOV and I did not see a price for that.

My goal was a 400hp motor, which I think is around 350hp at the wheel. It is nice to have a quantitative measurement now with this thread! It appears to me that around $8k gets me to my goal.

Stock 282hp + RarlyL8 Upgrades listed( 114hp)= 396hp (approx 350hp at the wheel)

1986 930 Ultra-Smith RUF Slant Nose conversion, RUF VB, K-27 HF-S, B&B Headers and Exhaust, RUF Short Shifter, RUF Interior
Old 10-09-2011, 04:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
Yasin,
Short answer, the studs are expensive. When I bought them in 2008, the small set was $45 and the 8-piece set was $90, so $135 or just over $10 per set for a stud, washer, and nut. I think the Porsche parts are the same price and you don't get a washer, which is ground flat and helps to keep the nut tight by distributing the torque load.

Mark
Old 10-09-2011, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Most of my products are carried by Pelican Parts, others are in the works.

The difficulty in extracting broken studs is where they are located, next to all kinds of things you don't want to damage.

The broken stud is cut off flush to the head.

Next a pilot hole is drilled dead nuts in the center of the stud. There are fixtures for this if you are not a seasoned pro like Wayne here.

Then the fun begins, carefully drilling out the stud. Careful not to break off a drill bit or tap in the hole or your troubles are compounded.

Wayne, the mechanic at my buddy Martin's shop, is a 356 expert. They restore vintage German cars so he knows a thing or two about rusty parts! My thanks again to Wayne and Martin for being my go-to guys when the going gets tough.

Last edited by RarlyL8; 10-09-2011 at 07:14 PM..
Old 10-09-2011, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
Using the drill guide that completely drills out the stud is the only way to go. All that's left is what's left behind in the threads and that will screw right on out.
You can extract a stud using one in 30 minutes, tops. No muss, no fuss, no drama.
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 10-10-2011, 05:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Larry's 930 is a survivor in wonderful condition, all of the owners have taken great care of it. The mods we determined best for Larry's purpose were my headers, K27-7200, and my stock replacement intercooler. As Larry stated, pumping up the boost was not necessary as the power and driveability were so greatly enhanced. The engine is now under less stress than when stock while producing greater than 100WHP more than stock. Boost threshold was reduced by >1200rpm which vastly improved driveability. The torque curve became dead flat and did not drop below 325 ft/lb from 3000-6000rpm.
The only issue we had was the badly rusted header studs. Half of them snapped off requiring a very time consuming extraction. I have pictures of this that can be posted when I get back in town on Monday.
There is still power and performance left on the table as the fuel curve has not yet been optimized. We will take care of that next and expect the mileage to climb from 13mpg to 21mpg and add even more torque to the midrange.
For those who wish to turn a stock 930 into a really enjoyable machine these type mods are the ticket. All bolt on so the OEM parts can be stored to preserve the car's resale value. The fuel head remains stock and the Lambda system intact. Start up and warm up remain unchanged.
Also you might notice the orange SCAT tubing peeking out from under. Yes the mythical heat exchangers that I've been testing on my car have been installed on this one. The patterns are with the machine shop and god willing we will have heat this winter. Pelican will be notified when the first batch is final so we can all enjoy the nice cold dry air of winter... in comfort!
The HP curve also became very flat. Prior to the modifications, the HP curve fell off very quickly to 6000rpm where the dyno showed the HP to be about 100. After mods at 6000 rpm, the HP was 315. Over 200 HP difference!!!!!

Last edited by whitelightnin; 10-10-2011 at 10:06 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 10-10-2011, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
Here is a shot of the "transformation" 930 on its new trailer getting ready to head home. The trailer is a model 7541 Trailex 14 footer, also known as the "911 trailer". It only weighs 845 lbs and helped my half ton Chevy Avalanche get 14 mpg for the 300 mile trip. The Avalanche normally gets about 17 mpg on the hwy without towing. These are great trailers and are by far the lightest on the market. I was lucky to find a used one but take a look at trailex.com for the specs and prices. The lean fellow is the guru, Brian Bodart (rarlyl8).

Last edited by whitelightnin; 10-10-2011 at 11:18 AM..
Old 10-10-2011, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Did I read heat exchangers?????
Old 10-10-2011, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: