Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Rarlyl8 930 Transformation

After dreaming of getting back into a 911 for many years, the opportunity came to act on the dream last summer (2010) when I found a beautiful 1989 2 previous owner 930 Cabriolet in Asheville, NC. The seller, a plastic surgeon, had owned the car for 18 years and bought it from a friend of his, another surgeon. He had all of the service records back to new, including original window sticker, original bill of sale, and the sales brochure for 89 911's. It had 70,000 easy miles and had any maintenance ever needed performed by professional Porsche technicians. The car was all original and the body and interior were in great condition. So we made a deal and it was mine. There were no surprises. However, I wasn't completely fulfilled as my dream car did not perform to my expectations and didn't sound like the car of my dreams. I got used to driving modern performance cars like ZO6's, modded WRX's, modded 335i's and the 930 was not quite in the same league. Sure, it was the hottest thing going in its day, but does not compare to today's technology.

I started roaming the various Porsche forums and more or less settled on this one and discovered a lot of positive comments about products designed by Brian Bodart of Rarlyl8 Motorsports. Lots of happy customers. Started talking with Brian almost a year ago and he asked a lot of question and recommended modifications that he felt would accomplish what I would be happy with. It then took almost a year to convince the "fun police" that this was not a bad thing to do. She will never believe it is a good thing. Anyway, Brian and I emailed and talked and decided without touching any of the engine internals and by using only bolt on mods, I could "transform" the car (to use Brian's words).

The plan was to use all Rarlyl8 designed components, his street muffler, intercooler, equal length headers, and newly designed heat exchangers, and the upgraded K27 turbo. Then all of the original components could be boxed up and the car could be returned to original if needed.

I trailered my car to Brian in Huntsville, Al, several weeks ago and left it with him, then picked it up this week. "Transformation" is an understatement. It is a totally different car in a good way. Scary fast! Turbo spool up is way quicker and the sound is fantastic. Before and after dynos indicated a gain of 114 hp and 87 ft/lb of torque. We were originally going to go with a 1 bar spring but this really proved unnecessary so the stock .8 bar spring is still in place.

Thanks Brian!!!!
Old 10-06-2011, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Congrats & pls post up some pics!

FS 1987 930 DTAFast EFI w/Electronic Dash, 17x9x11" Lindsey Racing Fuchs, Andial 8.39 R&P, C2 Intake, SuperCup Cams, Flame Ringed Heads & Cylinders, TurboKraft Full Bay Intercooler, RearlyL8 Twin Scroll Headers, Big Bullseye Twin Scroll Turbo...SOLD
1999 Harley Davidson Custom 1250 Hardtail Bobber..SOLD
2014 BMW X6M, 2012 BMW 128i, 2014 GMC Sierra, 2015 Cobia 237 Center Console 300hp Yamaha
Old 10-06-2011, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

That's the neat thing about these cars...they're fast, yes, but kinda ho-hum when left stock. Bolt on transformation is easy and makes one hell of a difference.

Once you settle in and get used to the current performance, the time will come when you ask yourself "what's next. I wonder what .2 more bar will do, or maybe different cams, perhaps play with the ignition, or???" There's a song that goes with this, Paul Simon's Slip Slidin' Away.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Dollars well spent. The question is will you be able to stop.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Will I be able to stop? The "fun police" will make sure of that.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
Heh heh, just got into it with my local po po, 1 bar is much more fun and CHEAP! Brian is good people! Congrats and hurry up and post a pic.
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'74 914 track basket-case
Old 10-06-2011, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Congrats! Please post pictures!
1985 Black 930, K27 7006, Garretson Intercooler, Adj boost, TB: 23 - 31mm, bielstein sport shocks, ER polybronze bushings front and rear, ER monoball joints front and rear with offset camber plates, 935 X triangulated strut brace, raised spindles, racing bump steer kit
1981 Black 911sc (sold)
Old 10-06-2011, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roby466 View Post
I think Brian has some good pics taken during install and completed work, but he is out of town this week. Maybe he will post some when he gets back.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Noise Level

I was PM'd about the noise level of the Rarlyl8 Street muffler and it has been discussed in other threads but here is my impression. It is fairly quiet at lower RPM. Nice moderate rumble, but definately neighborhood friendly unless you get on it and push it into boost. Then the sound comes alive. Not that loud, but but a beautiful sporty tone. Also, while cruising and not in boost, no drone. You can hear it but it is not loud or annoying. Hope this helps.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roby466 View Post
Here are a few. Maybe when Brian gets back, he can post pics while the valence was off.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Nice ride!
FS 1987 930 DTAFast EFI w/Electronic Dash, 17x9x11" Lindsey Racing Fuchs, Andial 8.39 R&P, C2 Intake, SuperCup Cams, Flame Ringed Heads & Cylinders, TurboKraft Full Bay Intercooler, RearlyL8 Twin Scroll Headers, Big Bullseye Twin Scroll Turbo...SOLD
1999 Harley Davidson Custom 1250 Hardtail Bobber..SOLD
2014 BMW X6M, 2012 BMW 128i, 2014 GMC Sierra, 2015 Cobia 237 Center Console 300hp Yamaha
Old 10-07-2011, 05:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Very nice car! thanks for the info
David
1985 Black 930, K27 7006, Garretson Intercooler, Adj boost, TB: 23 - 31mm, bielstein sport shocks, ER polybronze bushings front and rear, ER monoball joints front and rear with offset camber plates, 935 X triangulated strut brace, raised spindles, racing bump steer kit
1981 Black 911sc (sold)
Old 10-07-2011, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Very nice. Intercooler looks clean. Long neck or stock replacement?
Old 10-07-2011, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Larry's 930 is a survivor in wonderful condition, all of the owners have taken great care of it. The mods we determined best for Larry's purpose were my headers, K27-7200, and my stock replacement intercooler. As Larry stated, pumping up the boost was not necessary as the power and driveability were so greatly enhanced. The engine is now under less stress than when stock while producing greater than 100WHP more than stock. Boost threshold was reduced by >1200rpm which vastly improved driveability. The torque curve became dead flat and did not drop below 325 ft/lb from 3000-6000rpm.
The only issue we had was the badly rusted header studs. Half of them snapped off requiring a very time consuming extraction. I have pictures of this that can be posted when I get back in town on Monday.
There is still power and performance left on the table as the fuel curve has not yet been optimized. We will take care of that next and expect the mileage to climb from 13mpg to 21mpg and add even more torque to the midrange.
For those who wish to turn a stock 930 into a really enjoyable machine these type mods are the ticket. All bolt on so the OEM parts can be stored to preserve the car's resale value. The fuel head remains stock and the Lambda system intact. Start up and warm up remain unchanged.
Also you might notice the orange SCAT tubing peeking out from under. Yes the mythical heat exchangers that I've been testing on my car have been installed on this one. The patterns are with the machine shop and god willing we will have heat this winter. Pelican will be notified when the first batch is final so we can all enjoy the nice cold dry air of winter... in comfort!
Old 10-07-2011, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Wow..looks great!! VERY sweet mods and that intercooler looks great (wink!)
Old 10-08-2011, 02:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Wayah Road Warrior

What is the cost of this sort of transformation? As described including installation at your location?
Old 10-08-2011, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I quoted Larry 10 hours shop rate for everything. The broken studs cost us an extra 6 hours. I knocked off a couple hours due to the unexpected time taken for those broken studs.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
i would like to see the process of getting those studs out...

i hear so much about them, i am about to pull my engine out for the first time for a trans rebuild, and thinking of doing some stuff while its out...

but all this talk about broken studs makes me very nervous
Old 10-08-2011, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree930 View Post
What is the cost of this sort of transformation? As described including installation at your location?

Go to Brians website, //www.rarelyl8.com/, and add up the components you need. Brian says that it takes a typical Porsche mechanic about 16 hours to perform the work I had done. He does it quicker but has had a lot of practice. Since each car is different, it would vary some with each. For example, we did not anticipate the rusted studs which made the cost higher.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Very nice, Brian is a class act.
2012 Ford F150 EcoBoost
Old 10-08-2011, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: