Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
89 930.

Garage
Question Oil change pressure charge?

Just wondering what percentage of oil comes out with a change?

Is there a way to get 99%?
Can you charge the lines somehow to get the oil out of the coolers? anyone tried?

Just wondering. 89 930
Old 10-10-2011, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Elephant racing sells lines that replace the oil lines running from t-stat to front cooler that have an air schrader valve to allow pressurizing the system to blow down.
You have to crack the lines here to get it all out after the tstat.
I dont know if its worth the trouble to do this, but just to let you know I seen it out there.

fred
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 10-11-2011, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmeister View Post
Elephant racing sells lines that replace the oil lines running from t-stat to front cooler that have an air schrader valve to allow pressurizing the system to blow down.
fred
I don't like leaving 2-3 quarts of dirty oil in the oil lines and front center oil cooler I have when changing the oil and have wondered how well those elephant racing lines with the shrader valve work.

The 2 lines from the thermostat forward are brass so it would be easy to undo the outer one and drill a hole and silver solder in a shrader valve somehow if you wanted.
Then where does the oil go when you pressurize the line with 120psi - back to the oil tank to drain out, or back to the engine case so it can drain out from there.

A call or email to Elephant Racing would clear that ? up.

I always undo the large unreinforced S shaped hose from the oil tank and drain the oil out of it when doing an oil change.
Good time to flex it and check for dry rot cracks in it and about a quart of oil comes out of it.
You can remove the oil return line hose to the tank, angle it down and drain it too.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Maybe I'm living in a fantasy world???

However, if you drain the oil when the oil is up to full temp & you can tell that the thermostat is open by the temperature of the front cooler.

Does the oil not drain from the cooler???

Mark
Old 10-11-2011, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by full quack View Post
Maybe I'm living in a fantasy world???

However, if you drain the oil when the oil is up to full temp & you can tell that the thermostat is open by the temperature of the front cooler.

Does the oil not drain from the cooler???

Mark
No it doesn't at all... And even if the oil cooler was way above the oil tank and there was no thermostat in between gravity would have to push all the oil in the cooler and lines through the oil filter before it emptied into the oil tank.

The bottom of the front oil cooler and most of the lines are below the oil tank and none of it drains into the tank during an oil change.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
I crank the engine over for about 10 sec and get maybe another quart from the tank, thermostat, turbo sump.

Mark
Old 10-11-2011, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

89 930.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucittm View Post
I crank the engine over for about 10 sec and get maybe another quart from the tank, thermostat, turbo sump.

Mark
Do you pull the fuel pump fuses to do this?
Old 10-12-2011, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
The easiest way to do this is to remove the wire on the overboost sensor, which effectively removes the ground line from the fuel pumps. The wire is right on top of the intercooler and the engine lid is already open. Because the engine is warm there is a nice film of synthetic oil on all moving parts, so 10 seconds of cranking does no damage at all.

Then I fill the oil tank and purge the air from the oil system by cranking for another 10 seconds before I reconnect the overboost sensor wire. This helps to fill the new oil filter with less sudden oil pressure than an engine start. Once the engine is running and warmed up again, I top off the oil level by comparing the gauge and the dipstick and check for leaks.

Mark
Old 10-12-2011, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: