Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

useless spare

So about a month back i ran over a bolt and destroyed one of my rear tires. It's a 285 30 zr18. So when i pulled off the road the inside sidewall was already gone. I briefly considered putting on the spare and then it hit where does the flat go? certainly not in the front trunk that only has room for the space-saver spare. and I'll be dammed if i am putting a destroyed black tire and associated dirt and grease in the leather linen colored front seat. At that point called someone to come get me went home got my truck brought a proper jack and another tire and wheel from home. when i pulled the flat out of the back of my truck it left a pile several inches deep of powdered rubber on the driveway, which would have ended up inside the car.
Any way to make a long story short i am thinking of tossing the spare and modifying the tank to hold more gas by removing the indented area for the spare. Any one else considered this?
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 10-11-2011, 01:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

3 inches of powdered rubber left behind from the dead tire?
lol.. must have been moving when that thing popped.

A beach towel rolled up behind the passenger seat to lay over the seat comes in handy when things like that happen... useful for spontaneous nightime activities on the beach too.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
I've gone native

I used to keep an oversized black construction trashbag in the trunk just for such an occasion.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Well, I wouldn't say that the spare is useless - but certainly the space left behind when it's in use is a joke for stuffing your flat tires. If I recall last summer when I blew out one of my rears, I discovered the same issue...said WTF now? - and eventually stuffed it in the back seat somehow. Pretty shredded, no rubber dust, but sharp pieces of sidewall cord sticking out.
So if you toss the spare and modify the indented area for more tank space, then where do you plan on mounting the spare? Gotta have one, unless you're close to home and can call a rescue vehicle and happen to have a spare tire at home.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I switched to a 6x15 cookie cutter wheel w/195/55/15. Sits on top of the gas tank tucked back against the firewall. The reason being the factory inflatable spare won't work on a slant nose. I also carry a big plastic bag for the flat. I'm running 335/35/15's on 13x15 wheels, so I figure the tire is going on the passenger seat.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to FlashGordon
I don't get flat tires... so, I'm not worried...
Old 10-11-2011, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumba View Post
I switched to a 6x15 cookie cutter wheel w/195/55/15. Sits on top of the gas tank tucked back against the firewall. The reason being the factory inflatable spare won't work on a slant nose. I also carry a big plastic bag for the flat. I'm running 335/35/15's on 13x15 wheels, so I figure the tire is going on the passenger seat.
In 10 + yrs, never had a flat on a 911. Whew. But my Q would be, - what happens to the passenger? Do they get traded for a stuffed tyre - or do you squeeze them into the spare tyre space on the gas tank?
Alan
83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 10-11-2011, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Depends who the passenger is! Leaving them on the side of the road is another option.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Hagerty insurance with 3 flat beds tows a year, seems like a decent option for me, for having no spare tire. Although, I have not needed the tow for that reason yet.

With my Fikse wheels with rear spacers removed, I cannot even mount that spare on the rear, sooo....

My car is so low, that if I tried to mount that spare on the front, the difference in the diameters between the spare & my wheel/tire combo, would have me sitting on my front tow hook on that side, sooo....

I just removed the weight of the spare & jack & pump from up front, and keep my Hagerty card in the glove box!

Mark

Last edited by full quack; 10-11-2011 at 12:14 PM..
Old 10-11-2011, 12:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
There are always these options:

Old 10-11-2011, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I also have 18x11 rear wheels with no spacers. The spare tire wheel won't clear the rear caliper without at least an 18mm spacer under it so I carry one on top of the spare tire between it and the bracket that holds them both down.

Carrying a large plastic bag for a possible flat tire carried inside tha car is a good idea. It might fit in the rear seat area somehow if you have a passenger.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Wayah Road Warrior

Old 10-11-2011, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashGordon View Post
I don't get flat tires... so, I'm not worried...
Now you've done it, jinxed yourself

I used to think the same thing, but being the cheap bastard that I am I kept telling myself I could make it "one more season" with those almost bald rears. Fortunately I wasn't doing full-tilt-boogie warp speed when she blew 'cause you get very little warning. Lucky for me I had previously purchased a new set which were sitting in the garage just waiting for the inevitable.

The real bit$h of it all is that when you blow a rear tire with LSD, you gotta pull one of the front tires and put it in back vs. using the spare back there...unless you want to toast your LSD because of the different tire diameters. You boys educated me on that promptly, which found me in the parking lot swapping tires before the trip home.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: