Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Alt warning light

Well on the way to work tonight the alternator warning light came on. turned the car around and drove it back home. looks like next week I'll be into that mess again. i am hoping nothing happened from bypassing the alternator warning light diode about a year ago. I never was able to find a replacement. I am hoping it's just a loose connection on the starter or something like that. But i have had a couple other electrical gremlins pop up like the oil pressure sender died again and a couple weeks ago when i turn on the rear window wiper the oil pressure pegs high. One more reason for building my own completely new wiring harness when i go to efi. Someone on here sent me a pic a while back about a replacement Diode from an alternator repair company that would work. wondering if any one knows what would work as a replacement. The Porsche and VW ones are no longer available and the recyclers don't have any either.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 10-16-2011, 12:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

well it was the fan belt . but while i'm on the subject the alternator warning light diode does anyone know how many amps it's supposed to be rated for?
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 10-18-2011, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken911 View Post
well it was the fan belt . but while i'm on the subject the alternator warning light diode does anyone know how many amps it's supposed to be rated for?
Ken, not sure if this helps any but I found this current diagram when I was looking for alternator connection diagram.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/parts/Electrical/914_electric_74E.jpg
FS 1987 930 DTAFast EFI w/Electronic Dash, 17x9x11" Lindsey Racing Fuchs, Andial 8.39 R&P, C2 Intake, SuperCup Cams, Flame Ringed Heads & Cylinders, TurboKraft Full Bay Intercooler, RearlyL8 Twin Scroll Headers, Big Bullseye Twin Scroll Turbo...SOLD
1999 Harley Davidson Custom 1250 Hardtail Bobber..SOLD
2014 BMW X6M, 2012 BMW 128i, 2014 GMC Sierra, 2015 Cobia 237 Center Console 300hp Yamaha
Old 10-18-2011, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

so according to that the blue wire is 0.5 amps?
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 10-18-2011, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken911 View Post
so according to that the blue wire is 0.5 amps?
That's what it looks like to me too, but I only had one class of physics that covered this stuff and I sat at the back
FS 1987 930 DTAFast EFI w/Electronic Dash, 17x9x11" Lindsey Racing Fuchs, Andial 8.39 R&P, C2 Intake, SuperCup Cams, Flame Ringed Heads & Cylinders, TurboKraft Full Bay Intercooler, RearlyL8 Twin Scroll Headers, Big Bullseye Twin Scroll Turbo...SOLD
1999 Harley Davidson Custom 1250 Hardtail Bobber..SOLD
2014 BMW X6M, 2012 BMW 128i, 2014 GMC Sierra, 2015 Cobia 237 Center Console 300hp Yamaha
Old 10-18-2011, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

or could it be .5mm wire size
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 10-18-2011, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

"0,5" is the metric size of the wire. 0,5 translates to a 20awg wire (20 gauge). It has nothing to do with the amount of current flowing through the wire, simply the size of the wire that Porsche put in there. Of course, the size is expected to translate to current carried through the wire, but that diagram does not show that. Any 20 gauge wire (preferably stranded wire) will support what you need if you decide to replace it.
Here is the link to support 0,5 = 20awg AWG to square mm Wire Gauge Conversion
A 20awg wire can comfortably carry 4amps up to 17 feet. Worst case on a 20awg appears to be 7 amps at 10ft. This is all based on readily available information that google pops up. I'm not an electrical engineer but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night (plus you've seen my conversion thread so I am getting decent at Porsche speak ) LOL
Engine Rebuild & Restorations

Last edited by DSPTurtle; 10-18-2011 at 03:27 PM..
Old 10-18-2011, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

My '87 roached the diode when the voltage regulator blew and I could not find a new one anywhere. Pelican lists one but it is bigger bucks and I was not confident it would work based on the part cross reference. I got a loose diode from the shop that rebuilt the alternator and then just cut the old one apart and soldered in the replacement. If I remember right it was a 1.5W diode and it's not too tough to fix up once you understand which way the current flows. This is not a big wattage circuit as it is just "exciting" the alternator so I think 1.5W does the trick. I heard rumors of the diode being a common post-'68 VW Type 2 part but I could never chase one down so I rolled my own.

-JWL
Old 10-18-2011, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

oh ok 1,5w thanks!!
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 10-18-2011, 11:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: