Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

oil to use?

just looking for some expertise in oil usage in 930. i have a 84 euro engine with decent mileage 48k. my question is maybe one for the ages but i did a rebuild on the car about a year and a half ago. i used mobil 1 15-50 for the break- in period. readjusted the valves @1k. have used the car about 2k since with brad penn 20-50. zddp seems to be of the greatest concern with old engines like mine which benefit the most from appropriate amounts of this agent. heard in some discussions that valvoline v-twin works as well. does anyone have any knowledge of lubromoly semi or 100% synthetics being adequate 10-40? just curious.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
You will likely get many and varied opinions on this topic. However, you are on the right track with the ZDDP. There are some problems with the alleged content of ZDDP in various oils because the EPA doesn't like it. Some of the chemical make-up may damage the inner workings of the catalytic converters. So the oil companies are in a quandary - advertise the higher levels of ZDDP and sell more oil to us Porsche people and face the wrath of the EPA or not.

I personally believe the best oil for a turbo application is 100% synthetic. There is just too much new technology in these oils to not use them with our high-temp, high-pressure engines. I don't care about loyalty to a certain company or refinery, I think there are good and bad, but don't let marketing be the most important thing.

Some people use aviation, motorcycle, or truck oil. I would stay away from it. How does this sound to you? "Yes, your honor, I was using oil specifically designed for a Harley-Davidson in my Porsche." "Son, I see no merit in your claim that your engine blew up because it was not rebuilt correctly, case dismissed."

Mark

Last edited by lucittm; 10-21-2011 at 06:05 PM..
Old 10-21-2011, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucittm View Post
How does this sound to you? "Yes, your honor, I was using oil specifically designed for a Harley-Davidson in my Porsche." "Son, I see no merit in your claim that your engine blew up because it was not rebuilt correctly, case dismissed."Mark
Well, I use Harley-Davidson oil in my Harley and it works just fine But I would bet that Valvoline V Twin would work just as well...just haven't gotten around to trying it in the hog.

I use Valvoline race 20/50 in the 930, only 'cause it has the ZDDP.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
Mark,
You are making my case for me. You would not use Mobil1 15-40 in your Harley either, would you?

My point is, leave the hog oil in the hogs, not in the Porsches.

Mark
Old 10-21-2011, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

been using AMSOIL 20/15 and 10/40 for the last 85K miles, now at 115K, changing every 5K. Oil analysis every other change. All the oil analysis come back perfect, actually saying that I could continue to use the oil. Now this is with 90% highway driving, very very little city stop and go, and NO TRACKing.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Porsche-Poor

Garage
I run the Brad Penn 20W/50 in my 930 and seems to keep temps a bit cooler than the Kendall 20W/50 I used to run. Regarding synthetics, I too am interested in what to do. I was told by a major Porsche engine builder in the Pacific NW, who tends to favor Shell oils, say that ZDDP isn't the only thing that makes a good oil, his case was that Shell oils were so advanced with newer compounds and additive packages these days that higher levels of ZDDP were not needed and thus was running Helix 5W/40 in older air cooled Porsches, actually more of the 911 track rats and a bunch of 930's as well. After that I was so confused I just stopped reading all the oil threads and opinions and just keep the BP. . . .I'm sure the Valvoline is also very good as many run that as well, it's all personal preference I think at the end of the day
1980 911 SC Weissach-regrettably sold
1975 911S-sold but not forgotten
Old 10-28-2011, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I use Valvoline race 20/50 in the 930, only 'cause it has the ZDDP.

Plus--it has the least amount of oil/burnoff consumption since I been using this stuff.

Walt
Old 10-28-2011, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

930 oil

i want to thank each of you for all input as to my query. this has always been a safe haven and a wealth of knowledge forum to rely on. my 3.3 and i appreciate it. going to air her out a little on the way down to the rolex 24 and then sebring and see how the bp works out. regards,george
Old 10-29-2011, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: