Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Checking in

I hope all you flat six boosted guys are doing well. I miss having my 930 for sure.

In the mean time, I bought a 2011 550i with sport package. Yep, a twin turbo V8 with 450 ft lbs of torque and 400 hp. The cool thing is that it has 450 ft lbs at 1750 rpm and its attached to an 8sp sport auto tranny. And yes, its a heavy car at 4030 lbs, but it has balls. I need to lower it to get some handling and I need to find some BIG sway bars to tame the body roll. But get this - $3000 gets you a tune that adds over 100 hp and 100 ft lbs of torque, complete with mapping to the tranny.

Anyway, I hope y'all are doing well.

Oh ya - still having discussions on what oils to use, I see....

Don
Old 10-21-2011, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
Welcome back, Don!
Seems that the new owner of your old ride's buddy pranged the engine and then tried to say it was running lean Other than that, you haven't missed a thing
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 10-21-2011, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911nut View Post
Welcome back, Don!
Seems that the new owner of your old ride's buddy pranged the engine and then tried to say it was running lean Other than that, you haven't missed a thing
I heard - he called me when it happened. I drove it for a couple thousand miles with good AFR's and a bar and it showed good plugs. I hated it for him since he only has 3 or 4 months of summer. I heard its back together and he seems to have it tuned for his fuel/boost/altitude and really likes it now.

I hope Brad Boardwell finally gets his back together so I can sit in another 930 soon...
Old 10-21-2011, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Certifiable

Send a message via Yahoo to Quicksilver77
DonE! Great to hear from you! I have missed your posts!! Glad all is well, and enjoy that "other" German!
Old 10-21-2011, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonE View Post
I heard - he called me when it happened. I drove it for a couple thousand miles with good AFR's and a bar and it showed good plugs. I hated it for him since he only has 3 or 4 months of summer. I heard its back together and he seems to have it tuned for his fuel/boost/altitude and really likes it now.

I hope Brad Boardwell finally gets his back together so I can sit in another 930 soon...
Don,
Good to hear from you. Hope you're doing well.
Did you let Totl know about the custom pistons you had done up in that engine? I seem to recall in your build thread that you were using custom pistons that closely mimicked the 993 turbo's piston design? Special ring lands to prevent rings from rotating, piston domes reaching higher into combustion chamber,.....?
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 10-22-2011, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Hey Don, good to have you drop in!
450 ft lbs at 1750 rpm is supercharger territory, wow!
Old 10-22-2011, 06:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
What up Donnie!!!!! Hope your enjoying the new ride. Not sure if my brother told you or not but I bought a 550... sold the 996TT.

Regards,
Bryan

Current cars: 2006 Cayenne TTS, 1991 964 Cabrio, 1997 993TT, 1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
Old 10-22-2011, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WERK I View Post
Don,
Good to hear from you. Hope you're doing well.
Did you let Totl know about the custom pistons you had done up in that engine? I seem to recall in your build thread that you were using custom pistons that closely mimicked the 993 turbo's piston design? Special ring lands to prevent rings from rotating, piston domes reaching higher into combustion chamber,.....?
Yep - told him everything and provided build pictures and all receipts. When it blew, I put him in contact with JE, JB Racing and Xtreme Cylinder Heads. When he pulled the motor, he saw the fire rings up close.

I haven't heard from him in a while so I guess all is going well.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by x98boardwell View Post
What up Donnie!!!!! Hope your enjoying the new ride. Not sure if my brother told you or not but I bought a 550... sold the 996TT.

Regards,
Bryan
Nice. I can't get over the available power everywhere. Also, the exhausts with the twin turbos sitting in between the cylinders (in the valley) is sick. The distance from the turbos to the intakes (now where the traditional exhaust manifolds where) is inches and that includes the water to air intercoolers.

Add some direct injection, a nice 8sp sport auto, a heavy foot and you'll have a blast.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonE View Post
Yep - told him everything and provided build pictures and all receipts. When it blew, I put him in contact with JE, JB Racing and Xtreme Cylinder Heads. When he pulled the motor, he saw the fire rings up close.

I haven't heard from him in a while so I guess all is going well.
Hi Don. Good to see you back on the forum.
All is well with the car. Just fun :-)

Dave, Don provided me with all the info and helped me a lot. MikeB at JBR was very helpful, and had all spec from prevous pistons.
To make sure, I sent a piston and valves to JBR and Xtreme cylinder Heads.
1986 944 Turbo
Old 10-24-2011, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Don,

Good to hear from you!

I drove a new 550i and it's a real badass! Mid-range torque is impressive.

Autoweek tested the X-Drive (4WD in BMW speak) version and got 0-60 in 4.5s and the 1/4 in 12.8!
Old 10-24-2011, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

This weekend, I'm going to go through all my 930 stuff and see what I have left. I'll post the list in the classified section. Mostly, I'll just be asking to take care of shipping and boxes. The good stuff I'll mark at 20 - 25% of the original price.

FYI if you're interested....
Old 10-25-2011, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Don,
Long time no see! You're welcome to bring the BMW out on one of the mountain drives - pretty eclectic bunch that comes out. I drove the GTR for a bit last time and was absolutely floored at the acceleration.

BMW motor - I recently flashed my N54 and it's the best money I've ever spent on a car modification. From 300/300 to 380hp/420torque (at something crazy like 1200rpms)... and moving only 3200 lbs.

By the way, I'll save you from having to ship the 930 stuff!! In fact, I'm on my way down now!
Best,
John
Old 11-09-2011, 03:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: