Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I am on my 2nd DWUR.
Started with stepper unit, which went wonderfully well, til it stopped. Have spent last 6 mths fiddling with injector unit. Am back to my stock WUR.
I have to say Steve and Frank at UT were very helpful, and spent a lot of time trying to resolve my issues, but they are still unresolved and my DWUR is not working.
I have spent HOURS fiddling with it , altering it and returning it to factory for mods.
But it is now at the point where it will not hold a programme, and when it was running I had severe CP fluctuations at higher CP values. They put this down to my fuel head having very low leakage values which screwed up the injector pulse timing synchronising with the computer opening time values. Tried lots of solutions, problem still exists. Have Just (this week) installed another fuel head on car, but reluctant to try the thing again as it still has the memory problem.
I have a lot of faith in what they are trying to do, but they seem to have run into problem after problem. But it seems the system has been set up on a particular fuel head with particular DWUR injector flow/head leakage parameters and if you move outside this range you have a problem.
In spite of all the issues I have had, I have some sympathy with the numerous issues they have struck on this path in developing a new technology.
But for now I am back with my substandard stock WUR and pondering a Leask option. For track work the stock WUR is quite unsatisfactory.
Alan
83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 02-07-2012, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

I sent a DWUR back to Unwired first week of June 2011 to be retro-fitted with the improved ignition trigger (picking up "ringing", which meant that it constantly over-read the RPMs - i.e. untunable for WOT) and to be upgraded to the injector style control.

I had a call in response to a voice mail in September, they offered that this was completely unacceptable, and that they would get my unit sent out "next week".

Since then, they haven't returned a phone call. I've tried to leave a reminder every 4-6 weeks or so since then.

I still do not have the DWUR. It seems futile to leave any more voice mails now (think I left a couple in December, and maybe one more this year so far). I don't know how some guys get them on the phone - they've never once picked up in all the calls I've made.

My Leask WUR works pretty well - certainly much better than a DWUR I don't have.

My current plan is to run the Leask WUR and augment with the Split Second controller.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Given they still seem to have issues with the injector version, and they frequently seem on the edge of resolving them (only to discover a new one) it probably seems pointless for them to send out another unit with the issues they are currently working on. That would be my take on it.
I am just sitting/waiting to see if they get the current problems sorted. Looks like the memory issue may be resolved. In which case I might be tempted to hook my unit up again and see if it works better on the new fuel head. But I have pulled my fuel/WUR system apart so many times now, am reluctant to start down this track again unless there is a high degree of probablility it will work.

(picking up "ringing", which meant that it constantly over-read the RPMs - i.e. untunable for WOT)

I don't know why my stepper unit failed, and I have to say it was tuning the engine beautifully. But my best conclusion/guesstimate was that it somehow was not relating to the rpm data.
Alan
83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 02-07-2012, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Stepper motor packed it in. So i have the new version on order under warranty. The new hourings for the injector motor version are out being machined and should be ready for the end of Feb. I will document the converison process and post the update/differences between the versions.

Now its back to the old Wur for a few months
81 930 Turbo RoW, Slantnose, 3.5 twin plug dual MSD 6AL ignition, MSD RPM Activated boost rdelay switch set at 4400, MSD Tach Adapter, BL Wur, 18x11 (315-30-18) and 18x8 (235-35-18), Fab speed exhaust, Innovate MTX, K&N Filter Mod., NGK BPR7EIX and DPR7EIX plugs, KEP Stage II PP with Street/Race Organic Disk., Weltmiester Swaybars, Adjustable AAR Mod, AAV Delete
Old 02-12-2012, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
I was an early UTCIS experimenter on a stock '91 965 driver. Got the unit installed at Eurowerks in Charlotte NC and had it dyno tuned by Dave Brown (when he was at Speedwerks in Thomasville NC). He had it dialed in pretty good. Great cold start, hot start, all around fine experience. After about one year it quit on me, and when it quit it that meant stop and go no more. I went on a three or four week attempt to get some feedback and repair. Steve did his best to help, but my understanding was that my map was gone, and I would have to start over since the units had changed pretty dramatically in the time I had mine.

I put the car on a truck and hauled it to Pat Williams in Memphis for an EFI install. I am very happy with the result. Everything is constant, predictable, and if it ever (uimaginably) breaks down on me out I can at least have a shot at getting some help from anyone that is reasonably competent at troubleshooting a fueling system using standard OEM parts. The first tune that Pat put on it was late fall, and when the temps changed dramatically toward summer I needed some adjustments, so I just packed the brain box up and shipped it to him with some notes on where the rough spots were and he tuned on it and shipped it back.

Best money I have ever spent on that car. UTCIS is a fine idea, it seems to have been in something of an evolution for some time now, and if you're a tinkerer and can work with something like an Innovate LM unit it probably could be great fun if you have time. But for a permanent solution for good straight 965 that I plan to keep forever I wish I had put all of my money on Pat Williams from the beginning, though.

Don't mean this to be a commercial for any one thing over another but it was a long and expensive and sometimes exasperating experience that maybe someone else can benefit from either way. Good luck to all.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
porschesaur

Howdy 28104,

When Pat pulled up in front of my house with your completed conversion that was the very moment when I’d laid eyes on anything I’d have contemplated replacing this hoary old sled I’ve driven for 29 years with. That’s a beautiful machine and not one additional hole drilled or permanent alteration was made in its conversion.

At any rate, I’m here in Memphis, do Pat’s website, have formulated all the content since the beginning and very familiar with your system. I have the first one from almost 9 years ago shown here on Bob’s dyno in Phoenix while being developed. It was later strapped to an engine built to optimize its qualities which has formed the basis of all package motors built since - 474 at the wheels with no drama. That was 8 years ago and, with the exception of regular oil changes and an occasional valve adjustment, I/he have never touched nor replaced a single component. He’s finally talked me into bringing it in for the next step, not obscene amounts of hp, rather keeping what I got but with better fuel mileage like yours.

Forums like this one would dead end with postings comprising the unsexy content of the above paragraph so I would not be concerned in the least with appearing too promotional mentioning about a “product”, if you will, of this nature. Forums thrive on Arturo Gatti levels (may he rest in piece) of commitment, bravado, and occasionally mayhem when all involved realize, in the end, it ain’t gonna work. That makes for very entertaining reading and compelling stories and I’ll admit I’ve even been drawn in by some of the better “Hindenburg’s” trotted out here. It’s only when some of these quietly show up at PWR for a mechanical exorcism that you learn of the expense and sheer exasperation those owners have endured behind the scenes.

At any rate, With forum followers, in the main, it’s about the journey: pushing the envelope or experimenting so solutions like PWR-EFI are kind of an end to themselves, it’s done, nothing else required, little to talk about. But, after 34 years behind the wheel of 911/930’s I was just ready to drive and leave the tinkering for something else, so this was a perfect solution.

As they say in the Mini world, let's motor.

1950 Vincent Rapide - A Red Rapide Experience -
Old 02-15-2012, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!
Me like track days

My Leask WUR and RPM solenoid from 2006 continues to deliver nearly flat AFRs.
438 RWHP at 1 bar, why mess with anything else that doesn't exist...
Old 02-15-2012, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Toofah King Bad

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryHughes View Post
FWIW, I've finally completed a 2 year evaluation of the UTCIS digital WUR.
I have done the same. After going through five (5!) units, I have concluded that the built quality of hard and solid state components is awful.

In addition, I was promised a refund of my purchase price in May of last year and have since been ignored by the company. Would strong advise against letting these guys see any of your money.

FWIW, the car is running great on a refurbished Bosch WUR.

"DETERMINATION. Sometimes cars test us to make sure we're worthy. Fix it." - alfadoc
Old 03-12-2012, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Any updates from anyone?
Old 04-09-2012, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

I'm waiting to see if anyone posts something suggesting they have nailed the problems.
Alan
Old 04-09-2012, 08:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L View Post
I'm waiting to see if anyone posts something suggesting they have nailed the problems.
Alan
Unwired haven't responded to me since September regarding the unit I sent back to them to be upgraded/fixed first week of June 2011.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Would it be possible to use a simplified ECU like this one to piggyback onto the CIS system and drive an extra injector?

MCX-USA Generation 5 EFI Controller

Old 04-10-2012, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
a friend just got one of their new injector dwur last week. Put it on today and t fired up, now to figure out how to tune it...

FWIW, this is a completely new design, came with instructions for the old unit that look very different. anyone else have experience with this new one?
Old 05-27-2012, 08:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

[QUOTE=willtel;6678011]Would it be possible to use a simplified ECU like this one to piggyback onto the CIS system and drive an extra injector?

The problem is not so much a matter of getting more fuel in, but regulating the fuel supply via rpm and boost. At times the stock fuel supply is too much and at other times you have lean spots. I'm not sure that approach would quite do it.
Alan
Old 05-27-2012, 09:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletcher0780 View Post
a friend just got one of their new injector dwur last week. Put it on today and t fired up, now to figure out how to tune it...

FWIW, this is a completely new design, came with instructions for the old unit that look very different. anyone else have experience with this new one?
I wonder what they have done to change from the last injector system.
If you can post some info we may be able to help tuning it reasonably close. My injector unit never worked at all - had too many unresolved issues. It languishes in a box now.
Alan
Old 05-27-2012, 09:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletcher0780 View Post

Could you post pics of the new unit? I heard rumors on this site that Unwired was abandoning the stepper-motored WUR and went a different direction with an ecu controlled injector that takes over the control pressure circuit. Is this the "revised" system you now have?
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 05-28-2012, 06:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WERK I View Post
Could you post pics of the new unit? I heard rumors on this site that Unwired was abandoning the stepper-motored WUR and went a different direction with an ecu controlled injector that takes over the control pressure circuit. Is this the "revised" system you now have?
that's the one, I'll post pictures tomorrow.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

They abandoned the stepper motor a year or two ago. I received an injector based unit a year or so ago - but it has unresolvable issues - altho worked OK on their test CIS unit, apparently. Non-functional on mine. Spent ages with UTCIS modifying the unit and the firmware. No luck. It is based on the injector frequency bleeding fuel in the CP line to waste - thus controlling the CP. So, the lower the frequency operation the higher the CP.
But this makes the control distinctly different to the stepper motor mode - which was a smooth progression in Delta CP. The injector operates in decisive steps each time it opens. This caused a number of issues - which for my unit were non-resolvable. This seemed to be related to the 'bleed' in CP inherent in the fuel head - each one a bit different, due to the condition of the head.
Interested to see what has changed in last 12 mths.
Mine finally, after they modfied the circuit boards , lost its residual memory - ie could not hold the fuel programme while dormant.
Alan
Old 05-28-2012, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
When the Stepper motor in the DWUR packed it in I removed the unit from the car. One of the small screws that mounted the stepper motor had fallen out causing the motor to jam and fail. The screw was not lock-tighted in and there was only 2 or 3 turns on the threads on the screw. If the stepper screws were lock-tighted in place the original DWUR may have still been running.

I contacted BL and 1 week later I had a BL AWUR. I have installed the BL AWUR. It is running great. The specs from Brian were spot on.

Now that Unwired is shipping units again i will be sending my DWUR in for replacement while i stil have 1 year warranty left. I would like to have the ease of adjustment and tuning of the DWUR for the future. Hopefully they have resolved the reliability issues.
81 930 Turbo RoW, Slantnose, 3.5 twin plug dual MSD 6AL ignition, MSD RPM Activated boost rdelay switch set at 4400, MSD Tach Adapter, BL Wur, 18x11 (315-30-18) and 18x8 (235-35-18), Fab speed exhaust, Innovate MTX, K&N Filter Mod., NGK BPR7EIX and DPR7EIX plugs, KEP Stage II PP with Street/Race Organic Disk., Weltmiester Swaybars, Adjustable AAR Mod, AAV Delete
Old 05-29-2012, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Garage
Well, a little late, but I had a chance to install and tune the newest injector style DWUR today. got the AFR's perfect and realized the car wouldn't start. The problem ended up being the engine cranking wasn't moving the throttle plate enough to turn on the fuel pumps. Solution was to richen up the throttle plate adjuster and then lean out the DWUR by increasing control pressure. We are at 14.5:1 at idle and 11.5:1 at 15psi. With all the hot tuning today, we didn't have an opportunity to tune cold start. Once you get the hang of how the software works, it is very easy to use. Not sure what longevity is yet, but we see. Here are a few pictures:

Old 06-10-2012, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: