Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
3 restos WIP = psycho

^ interesting!

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 07-12-2014, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)
umop apisdn

The new thread from yesterday may be lost in limbo, can a moderator please check and advise?
The post seemed to take a very long while to respond before displaying a moderator would need to approve it, so it may not have processed at all.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
funny Cole and I were just talking about this the other day
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 07-13-2014, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
I found a thread that was posted some years back by "Thierry25" that was quite informative. Instead of reinventing the wheel, he chose a different approach by utilizing the existing WUR and used a frequency valve to control the Control Pressure. Wouldn't this be a more cost effective solution than manufacturing a completely new WUR?

Electronic CIS Fueling
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 07-13-2014, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)
umop apisdn

The MegaSquirt code we developed allows you to roll-your-own solution so something like the inline injector would be fine although I'd add a pressure sensor on the high side as well to get proper control, and I'd drop the WUR still to allow leaning out the mixture if needed as the parallel setup would only do enrichment unless the WUR was preset with a higher than normal control pressure.
Going Low-Buck and to keep it Bosch and looking stock, I'd personally try a genuine frequency valve from a CIS-Lambda combined with a oil pressure sensor in a T fitting.

The AIC is just under 300 bucks and a MicroSquirt is just over so not much in it there, (A DIY MegaSquirt kit could be less than that)
And the custom software for the MegaSquirt unit is free

The Digital WUR really just combined the injector or frequency valve with a pressure and temp sensor into a block of aluminium. The important bit is the control system and apart from the stepper motor attempts the biggest limitation seemed to be the electronics and software.

MegaSquirt is mature, uses Freescale (Motorola) automotive grade processors, has a very large group of lunatics managing the technical advancement, and I would guess almost any Tuning/Dyno place has experience with them. Although I do recall a lot of shops have refused to work on a vehicle with a self built unit for liability reasons, but that was usually because the overall wiring looked like two monkeys had been fighting each other on top of the wiring harness.

A cool new machined and anodised metering block would certainly be nice, but what we wanted to do was create a path where everybody could be happy and revive an injector based UTCIS or get inventive and create something from scratch, but have a common readily available and flexible control system that was capable of much more than the current solutions. The main negative with the concept is it will not be simple plug and play although I'm sure someone will jump in and create a kit if the market is there.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)
umop apisdn

My more detailed posts keep getting "moderator approval required" messages so maybe someone found out I own a 928

The short answer is Yes, a Bosch frequency valve from a CIS-Lambda (or that injector setup in the thread mentioned) and a pressure sensor would be all that you need to do a basic fuel enrichment system with an appropriate controller.

The MegaSquirt solution we are working on will allow DIY with the same setup and apart from the cost of your chosen bits and the MegaSquirt itself from your favourite supplier, the customised software/firmware is available free to anyone who wants to try it for the more advanced options. If someone can revive a UTCIS I've done my good deed for the day.

I'll be polite and stay quiet until advised otherwise.

Last edited by Reanimotion; 07-13-2014 at 07:34 PM..
Old 07-13-2014, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)
umop apisdn

new thread here
Old 07-15-2014, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: