Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Advice on stud removal

During a tear down for installation of an aerochrger turbo kit I have decided to go a bit further and reseal cam boxes with the engine in the car. I have it basically all tore down now but in the process of removing the stock headers broke a few studs. i had to butcher the header heat box to get access to some of the bastards, just blobs of rust after 25 years! There is still a decent amount of length on the three studs that broke and I was wondering if I should heat the crap out of the studs to give me more of a chance or removal (cherry red like I had to with the header nuts).

I am also pulling the exhaust air injection stuff off and one of the air injectors galled up the thread in the port on the way out. If i can salvage the exhaust studs in the car then I'm planning on a 10x1mm timecert in situ, wondered if anyone saw an issue with this. I've ordered some super high temp 2000+F thread locker to seal it in there. If I pull the heads to repair studs then I may get it welded up and tapped.
Cheers
Old 10-30-2011, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Gently heating the head around the stud {but not too much!} while leaving the stud as cool as possible, will yield your best success.

Simply heating the stud alone, will cause it to expand, thus making it an even tighter fit in the head.

Aluminum expands about 3 to 1 compared to steel {to a point that is}.

Remember to use lots of spray penetrating oil too. Soak over night if you can.

Good luck!

Mark
Old 10-31-2011, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice Mark, I guess its a similar thing with removal of head studs; try and heat the aluminum but not the stud itself.... makes sense.

I'll give a shot. Pretty much decided that I'll pull the heads anyway now and get all the exhaust side timecert'ed for good measure, and get the air injection ports welded up.

Also thinking of changing out the dilivar studs to steel while I am at it.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Boost Freak

Garage
Penetrating oil as mentioned is a good start. I would use something like Kroil or liquid wrench. I would soak it good for a day. Tap the stud a few times with the hammer and then get your vice grips good and tight on it. Heat around the stud and then see if it moves at all. If it moves you sometimes need to work it back and forth a bit to keep from re-breaking it. Your vice grips should be some what of a heat sink to keep the stud cooler, but you can also get some of that freeze spray and spray the stud right after you've heated around it just before trying to twist it out. Good luck, it's a pain in the butt!
Old 11-02-2011, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

our sponsor sells a jig that you can use to drill them out. Good luck getting them all without any snapping off flush. But if any of them do break off just get the jig and drill them out and time cert them. I have use my jig in the car and out of the car works fine.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 11-02-2011, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
Don't waste time with the penetrating oil/heat route. Buy the drill guide and just drill them out and be done with it. Goes a lot faster that way.
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 11-02-2011, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken911 View Post
our sponsor sells a jig that you can use to drill them out. Good luck getting them all without any snapping off flush. But if any of them do break off just get the jig and drill them out and time cert them. I have use my jig in the car and out of the car works fine.
Ken - What is the link on Pelican for the jig.
Thanks!
Yasin
Old 11-02-2011, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Boost Freak

Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911nut View Post
Don't waste time with the penetrating oil/heat route. Buy the drill guide and just drill them out and be done with it. Goes a lot faster that way.
Thats good to know for future reference!
Old 11-04-2011, 05:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Pelican Parts - Automotive Parts and Accessories - Porsche & BMW here it is
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 11-04-2011, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

For $268 I could do 200 of them!

Time-certs work great and the Snap-on collet stud puller may help you get them out easier.
FS 1987 930 DTAFast EFI w/Electronic Dash, 17x9x11" Lindsey Racing Fuchs, Andial 8.39 R&P, C2 Intake, SuperCup Cams, Flame Ringed Heads & Cylinders, TurboKraft Full Bay Intercooler, RearlyL8 Twin Scroll Headers, Big Bullseye Twin Scroll Turbo...SOLD
1999 Harley Davidson Custom 1250 Hardtail Bobber..SOLD
2014 BMW X6M, 2012 BMW 128i, 2014 GMC Sierra, 2015 Cobia 237 Center Console 300hp Yamaha

Last edited by CaptainCalf; 11-05-2011 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: add
Old 11-05-2011, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Ken - I assume you are referring to the Stomski $268 tool?
Old 11-06-2011, 03:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

yes there was someone on here selling ones he made I bought that one it was a lot less expensive but i dont think he sells them any more.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue

Last edited by Ken911; 11-06-2011 at 11:28 AM..
Old 11-06-2011, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: