Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
E-85 sippin drunk

Ok... back to the grindstone!! (AKA.. the sabatical ends)

Well, hello all you turbo junkies and boost pipe addicts!!!! It has been about 6 months or so since I last logged on here.... I have kinda put the car to the side for other reasons, but in August, a good friend of mine, who just happens to be one hell of a machinist, helped me in some fab work.

Since I bought my I/C from Bell, there were no mounts on it, hence, we had to make some. We had to locate the I/C with the engine in the car, and open and close the tail to make sure we fit the most we could into the air stream. Given where the turbo outlet is and the TB from the 3.2L intake, there was some movement, but not much. I also wanted to raise the I/C as high as I could into the tail for two reasons. One, so, I would only have to use a very thin gasket (foam) between the tail and the I/C, and second, to give me enough room to run an electric fan under the I/C if I chose to do so someday.

I wanted the I/C to be easily removed in case of tuning, maintainance, etc. I came up with the idea of the front two rods with Heim joints on each end. The rods are drilled on one side with right hand threads and the other with left hand threads, so all one has to do is loosen up the jam nuts, and turn the rod one way to lengthen and the other to shorten.

On the back side, my friend and I came up with a a mount that uses rubber grommets and a pin to secure the I/C. Once installed the I/C can be removed in a matter of minutes.... Kinda cool.

We then had to come up with a way to connect the I/C outlet and the TB. I just wanted to weld a 90 deg 3" elbow to the TB, and then connect the elbow to the I/C with a silicone hose.... Do you think that was good enough for a machinist???? Hell no!!!!!!

So, My friend machined an adapter from a billet block of 6065 T6. This gets bolted down to the TB then we welded the 90 Deg elbow to it. There is about a 3/4" gap between the outlet of the I/C and the elbow. This will be taken care of with a small silicone hose and two T-bolt clamps. We also made mounts for the Air Intake Temp Sensor and the W/G controller.

We ended up taking the engine out of the car again to weld up the I/C mounts. We didn't want the mounts to move at all during the welding process. Once done, it works wonderful and I think looks even better! One can have the I/C completely out of the car in less than 5 minutes.

Now, the ONLY thing I have left before the car is ready to run is the fuel system. I was going to use the factory 3.2L fuel rails and hardware, but I think that with the size injectors I have (100Lb to 150Lb, depending on fuel PSI), i wanted to run something bigger. So, we will go with all -8 braided lines and custom fuel rails. We will also be ditching the stock 930 front and rear pumps and going with something a little bit more....... That is for another post... ENJOY the pics!!!!!!!!!

[IMG]IMG_0134[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0140[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0139[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0138[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0130[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0132[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0181[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0169[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0152[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0138[/IMG]
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk

Last edited by turbobrat930; 11-01-2011 at 04:53 PM.. Reason: adding more pictures
Old 11-01-2011, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

[IMG]IMG_0143[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0184[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0198[/IMG]
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 11-01-2011, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Man, that is just purely sweet. Excellent and unique work. My bro' is a machinist as well; I need to enlist his services more often vs. my shade-tree shenanegans...but, I get impatient.
Truely a work of art. Now get it on the road - you need to be makin' some bacon down there in Georgia.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Very nice clean work Brad, I can't wait for the completion.
"the 930 is THE CAR that started my PORSCHE love affair..." Magnus Walker
Old 11-01-2011, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Awesome. I clearly need better friends.

Is that intercooler something Bell can replicate or is it all custom?
Old 11-01-2011, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Call Bell and ask for the Don Enderlein designed intercooler.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHNELE View Post
Call Bell and ask for the Don Enderlein designed intercooler.
Agreed. Talk to Gerhart. He has the blueprints and and can make the exact one, or deviate from it as well. IIRC, the I/C was about $1400.00 shipped to my door, but that was two years or so ago..... They do great work!!!

Thanks for the compliments....
Old 11-02-2011, 12:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

That kind of attention to detail is so inspiring. Little things like mounts, pie-cuts on piping, welded bosses etc I absolutely love. I wish I had a friend who was a machinist, I would be making all kinds of cool crap!

Love it...beautiful and congrats.
Yasin
Old 11-02-2011, 03:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
If I had to re-design the intercooler I would go with a tapered semi-circle or half pipe to diminish the eddying of the intake charge but I am sure the effect is de-minimus.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Beautiful work Brad!! Welcome back
'18 C63S Coupe
Old 11-03-2011, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

Thanks, Guys!!! It is good to be back. I cant wait to get started on the fuel system in the next couple of weeks....
Old 11-03-2011, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
really really nice
15 Ram Eco Diesel
Old 11-03-2011, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Champagne on Beer Budget

Garage
Very Nice work!

Your plumbing looks almost exactly like my intercooler to TB connections except I put the flexible connection oriented front to back at the intercooler (so the intercooler would come out easy).

www.einarsgarage.com
Instagram @einars_garage
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Einars-Garage/375533809160797
Old 11-04-2011, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Man I miss this stuff.

Brad - custom P&C's, pauter rods, stroked, extrude honed intake, custom headers, trick turbo, a bazillion dollars worth of custom machining compliments a great friends, and you're gonna hang a stock oil scavenge pump off that thing????? You're killin' me....
Old 11-04-2011, 07:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
The funny thing is this is my brother and I have bought and sold over 4 Porsches while he has been putting back together one.... About time he's getting motivated. I guess there has to be light at the end of the tunnel after 8 years. Great looking pictures.

Oh yah I almost forget, didn't you spend like 30 hours. Hand polishing your entire case....?

Current cars: 2006 Cayenne TTS, 1991 964 Cabrio, 1997 993TT, 1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
Old 11-05-2011, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by x98boardwell View Post
The funny thing is this is my brother and I have bought and sold over 4 Porsches while he has been putting back together one.... About time he's getting motivated. I guess there has to be light at the end of the tunnel after 8 years. Great looking pictures.

Oh yah I almost forget, didn't you spend like 30 hours. Hand polishing your entire case....?
More like 160 Hours...... and it was you that has bought and sold all those cars... I still have the same three.....
Old 11-05-2011, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Looking good, Brad! I've been around for only a few years...has it really been 8 yrs since you took your 930 off the road?!?

You need to polish less and get it done!
Old 11-05-2011, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: