Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

New 1988 Factory 505 added to the Family over the weekend

Picked up an 88 Factory 505 out of Cali which was delivered to it's new home in The Woodlands, Texas on Friday and need some help deciding if the through-the-body front torsion suspension is a factory install or after the factory install. Car has the rare factory steering wheel with the crest offset to the right on the horn button covered in the same light lime green leather that the interrior is covered in so i am thinking it may be a special order car, but will have to find out. Here are some pictures of the front torsion linkage.

1982 930
Old 11-07-2011, 05:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
cant help with the torsion bar but would love to see pics of the rest of the car and the interior, have not seen many lime green.
15 Ram Eco Diesel
Old 11-07-2011, 05:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

AFtermarket front sway bar. Factory would not have bolt-in drop link mounts on the a-arm.

Looks like a Weltmeister to me.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 11-07-2011, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

That looks like an aftermarket through body front sway bar kit thats been installed years ago.

The origonal lower sway bar brackets used from '74 on are still there and from the low camera angle you can't see where the origonal drop link brackets probably were on the control arms but they were likely cut off and then the pre '74 type drop link brackets were installed on the control arms with a bolt through a hole drilled through the arm.

I r e a l l y don't think the factory would have done that, they would have welded the early style drop link bracket onto the control arm.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
That looks similar to my Weltmeister swaybar:

Pelican Parts.com - Weltmeister Sway Bars

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 11-07-2011, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Welcome Ryan! More pics please.

You post mentioned "through-the-body front torsion suspension ", but I think you meant sway bar through the body, either way definitely after market.

Congrats on the new purchase. I am in Jersey Village so not too far from you and there are a few of us 930 guys on this forum local in the Houston area. If you have the time, Cars and Coffee in Vintage Park (Spring) draws a great crowd of enthusiasts, owners and admirers. I went for the first time, this past weekend with my car and met a fellow 930 owner and his '79.

Looking forward to meeting you.
Regards - Yasin
Old 11-07-2011, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

ok, hear what you are saying about drilling the A-Arm... tend to agree that a factory option would have been welded to a mount as opposed to drilling through... but this stuff just looks like it has been there forever... would anyone have the "Option" code for the through-the-body tortion?

J930 - should have said that the color was a "light teal green / grey" NOT "lime" was typing before my brain was awake this morning... - PAINT CODE 81A94 MARASCHINOROT
1982 930
Old 11-07-2011, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Yasin - you are correct - meant sway bar - again it was early. Actually, I believe we have met before, but can't put my finger on where. Here is the car i would have brought.
1982 930
Old 11-07-2011, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
DP935 member

Would love to see some pics. I would think it would be a special order since it is that color.

Would be nice to add this one to this slantnose thread also.

Slantnose, Slant nose,Slope, M505 factory 930S documents, registry, ultimate,flachbau

Porsche Slantnose M505 M506 group on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/719995181372494/
Old 11-07-2011, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 550SPYDER View Post
ok, hear what you are saying about drilling the A-Arm... tend to agree that a factory option would have been welded to a mount as opposed to drilling through... but this stuff just looks like it has been there forever... would anyone have the "Option" code for the through-the-body tortion?
There was no option for this available, but F-series was like this. Also the fact that the brackets for stock sway bar are still there, shows that the car was equipped with the later style of sway bars from factory.

Yours is Weltmeister for sure... and they are on the market since decades too. So they can look old since

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 11-07-2011, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

ok, i think i am ready to conceed that there is no chance this was a factory installed option. As always - THANKS GUYS.

kycarguy935 and others, will post pictures in the next couple of days. True cream-puff, just a few miles over 20,000 on the OD.
1982 930
Old 11-07-2011, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Champagne on Beer Budget

Garage
Pic's please! Nice ride from the sounds of it.!

87 911 Turbo
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Einars-Garage/375533809160797
Old 11-07-2011, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Beautiful car Ryan..love it...very very perfect. Did we meet at the Porsche dealership in North Houston off 45 a few years ago?
Regards - Yasin
Old 11-08-2011, 03:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 550SPYDER View Post
Hey Ryan, long tiome no hear from! So I see you've added another windblown beast to the stable huh? Congrats!

Proffighter is correct in that you have Weltmeister thru body swaybar.
Not sure the factory still offered that option ate late into production. (one of the other 505 boys may know) The indent in the tub was there however.

Also, as mentioned, the "u" tabs on the factory optioned cars were welded along each side, and the sit north - south as opposed to east -west as pictured.

The Weltmeister bar does the job just fine, however the cad plating on them never really lasted that well. I've had a couple of sets re-plated in the past etc..

So, how bout you post some pics of the new toy?!

Paul
RGruppe #180
So many cars..so little time!!
Old 11-08-2011, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: