Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
vibration in **** stick

do you guys notice under hard acceleration you get a vibration coming up from the stick, i get it when i am at around 5K RPM and i can move the shifter slightly and it will go away. i pulled the boot off the shifter and removed the center console this weekend to see if anything was loose. i tightened the allen wrench nut on the front and the large bolt a little to tighten up the whole mechanism but i don't see anything else obvious. my only other thought is that its coming through the linkage from down below? i replaced all of the plastic pieces in there last year so maybe its just the way it is?
15 Ram Eco Diesel
Old 11-14-2011, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
hmm dont know how the 4 asterisks ended up in the title?
15 Ram Eco Diesel
Old 11-14-2011, 05:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

What gear do you notice the vibration in? Mine does it in 3rd the worst.
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 11-14-2011, 06:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

wevo shifter

I have one which is up under the dash. The vibration started after I installed the Wevo shifter/shift coupling. I get it at about 4 K, and lasts till 5 K. I have tried to locate it, but think I need someone to locate it while I'm driving. If I turn up the radio it drowns out the noise. Philip
87 930 GHL/Rarlyl8 dual/Garretson/GT3582R/1 Bar/Wevo shift, mounts/Meth inj/LC-1/Custom Fuchs/Carrera intake manifold/Xtreme Carrera heads P&P/3.4/DR 993SS cams/ Mahl/Pauter/JE/Niresist/ARP/twin plug coil packs/8.25:1/KEP stage 2/twin tials/close 2,3,4th. MS3Pro Evo install in progress. 500+ HP, BTSOMP Dyno
Old 11-14-2011, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
i get this in 3rd gear, not to loud though.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I used to get the vibration in 1st and 2nd around 4400 rpm and above. I had both Wevo shifter and coupler in my vehicle. I removed the Wevo coupling and used lighter shift knob, the vibration noise is now gone. I kept the Wevo shifter in because I like them. My mechanic explained that there is vibration from transmission and the Wevo coupler doesn't have the play (OEM has a play in their design that help absorb the vibration) and this caused the vibration to accentuate the noise of the shifter. Try holding the knob when the vibration noise is heard and moved it little bit to the right or to the left and the noise should be less. This will give you a clue that the vibration is from the linkage between the coupler to the shift knob. I installed brand new Porsche coupler (which is improved version of the original) and the noise is gone now. I also removed the heavy shift knob and replaced with really light one to help the noise from coming back.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
hmmm, well i get it the worst in first. second some time, but it has to be a hard pull. i never really considered the actual knob, i will put something around it as a buffer between the knob and the metal. but i really think its in the area below the boot, cant confirm it as i am thinking it will echo right up the tunnel.
15 Ram Eco Diesel
Old 11-14-2011, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

It's not the space between the knob and the rod that caused the noises. It is the entire shifting mechanism from the knob all the way to the transmission. My heavy shift knob just makes the vibration noise worst. In your set up may be different than mine so you might have to experiment a little bit. In my case, I believe that the relationship between the heavy shift knob/transmission/Wevo shifter/Wevo coupler caused the vibration noise and it is very specific rpm in first and second gear. Not everyone would have this problem though. When I replaced the Wevo coupler with Porsche new coupler, the noise substantially reduced. I can hardly hear them now. Before, I can hear them distinctively from the engine noises.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
ok, my shift know is not really heavy at all, but maybe it is really vibrating? all the pieces in the tunnel that are plastic are new, i will have to get a closer look.
15 Ram Eco Diesel
Old 11-14-2011, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: