Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Everything went dead followed by blue smoke

After a great day at Barber, stoped for gas, continued on, getting on I-20 shifting to second, everything went dead, all gauges flikking right and left, smoke began to come out from the IC openening, opened the lid and lots smoke came from behind the fan with a funky smell - burnt wire???. trucked her home. It cranked right off with the G read light on on the gauge, with a high iddle... shut it off.

Have any of you guys experienced anything like that before?

I believe it's a cooked alternator after a track day; but I've had alternators go bad but never with that amount of smoke...

Any comments?
Old 11-20-2011, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Sounds like it's electrical.

Talk about a pucker factor!
Old 11-20-2011, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
maybe some old oil burning off with the alternator/regulator. i know when i replaced mine there was some old seepage in there.
15 Ram Eco Diesel
Old 11-20-2011, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Miguel the gauges are a tell tale for the regulator/alternator, not a big deal, easy fix.
"the 930 is THE CAR that started my PORSCHE love affair..." Magnus Walker
Old 11-20-2011, 10:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Miguel,
By your subject title I thought you blew the engine! A cooked alternator is better than a blown engine! Now speaking of a bad alternator...I'm concerned if this is a common problem since being 800+ miles from home tracking a car when an alternator goes bad would be no fun. So is there any tell tale signs before it's too late? How often do these things go bad?
Old 11-21-2011, 02:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
did it almost bring back memories of being with juice in the middle of wherever we were? deliveranceville north carolina!!!!
Old 11-21-2011, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Sound like alternator issue.. or maybe some of the sheathing on the wiring to the alternator has become brittle, fallen-off and wires have shorted. Either way, sound like you need to pull the alt to inspect etc.. good luck!

Oh, and I have a similar and more horrific story..regarding this topic that happened to a friend.. thankfully you don't have the same issue!
RGruppe #180
So many cars..so little time!!
Old 11-21-2011, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Well, well, well, it wasn't that bad after all. A cooked alternator - really cooked - it even took as far as I can see down there of the main harness. Lucky that the whole thing didn't catch on fire.

Where can I find a harness? I already found the alt replacement.

BTW, I recall some of those memories Frank/Mike/Pete/Justin/Gabe... but fortunately in my case a good location - a couple of miles from Barber.

Life is good!
Old 11-22-2011, 05:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Antonett View Post
After a great day at Barber, stoped for gas, continued on, getting on I-20 shifting to second, everything went dead, all gauges flikking right and left, smoke began to come out from the IC openening, opened the lid and lots smoke came from behind the fan with a funky smell - burnt wire???. trucked her home. It cranked right off with the G read light on on the gauge, with a high iddle... shut it off.

Have any of you guys experienced anything like that before?

I believe it's a cooked alternator after a track day; but I've had alternators go bad but never with that amount of smoke...

Any comments?
Glad you got the problem solved. I bet lots of nasty thoughts went thru your head after tracking it and having the problem arise. It seems like track days are great for showing the weak links in our cars.
On a positive note: Got any video from Barber you can post?

Fred
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 11-22-2011, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

You're right Fred, it is amazing the type of things that go through your head while the s**t is happening... but our cars were really made for that purpose; recognizing, as you say, that with time the weak links begin to show. BTW, the event @ Barber last Friday was an instructors refreshing school with no students :-) so, we really "exercized" the crap out of the cars all day long. I'll get with the guys to find out of any videos worth showing.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Antonett View Post
You're right Fred, it is amazing the type of things that go through your head while the s**t is happening... but our cars were really made for that purpose; recognizing, as you say, that with time the weak links begin to show. BTW, the event @ Barber last Friday was an instructors refreshing school with no students :-) so, we really "exercized" the crap out of the cars all day long. I'll get with the guys to find out of any videos worth showing.
Its great to see another guy with the balls to track his 930 turbo. Not too many guys step up to the plate and drive them on track like they were meant to. I think I have seen only one or 2 others that aren't converted race cars at DE days since owning mine the last 5 years. Makes it hard to swap war stories or set up advice at a DE weekend.
I think the newer models have taken away the rush of driving one of the older cars near the limit.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 11-23-2011, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

No luck finding the engine harness... does anyone out there know where's one????

Part #930-612-016-05, same engine harness from 75 ~ 81. No longer available through Porsche.

So, building one is the other option... there's about 21 cables there of different lengths, gages and going to different connection... Any hints on that?
Old 12-03-2011, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Try weekend rides if you havn't yet. They have a good inventory and the owners a good guy.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Called them already - no luck; however, found a lead... called the guy = $1,500 - - - - WOW!!!

I really have no option here, just bite the bullit and hope it works.

Will let you know how it turns out
Old 12-06-2011, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Infidel

I should have an engine harness somewhere, i'll check tomorrow and let you know
87 930, 993 turbo engine, RS Tuning 520PS/515lbf-ft, Arrow Rods, ARP hardware, Solid lifters, G50-50, RS Flywheel, 890nm Sachs clutch, RSR coil overs all round, 993 C4 calipers front, 930 fronts on the rear, Ruf Speedlines.....
Old 540 BMW, XB12S Modified, for being a total hooligan
Old 12-06-2011, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

ebay

There are a couple of harnesses from a 81 on ebay! Ending in a couple of hours. Price seem alot lower than what you quote of $1500, but auction is not over yet. Hope this may help. Philip
87 930 GHL/Rarlyl8 dual/Garretson/GT3582R/1 Bar/Wevo shift, mounts/Meth inj/LC-1/Custom Fuchs/Carrera intake manifold/Xtreme Carrera heads P&P/3.4/DR 993SS cams/ Mahl/Pauter/JE/Niresist/ARP/twin plug coil packs/8.25:1/KEP stage 2/twin tials/close 2,3,4th. MS3Pro Evo install in progress. 500+ HP, BTSOMP Dyno
Old 12-06-2011, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I've been off grid for a while but I'm glad to hear it was nothing serious. Still suxs when you're so far from home. If I hear of a harness I'll be sure to let you know.

Sheesh, you back in AL? Wow you move a lot.. Stay in touch buddy...
Old 12-06-2011, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

All good Bill, hope the same with you. And yep, back in Bama...
It's only our 21st move in 30+ years of marriage.
Life is good!
All I need at this point is a "healthy" engine harness to put the 930 back on the road. The other P-cars are just transportation :-)
Old 12-09-2011, 06:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Turbo Hooligan

Miguel, try Rob at DC auto, he may have one. I had a similar problem 10 years ago on the yellow car. I ended up making a new harness from scratch for her. Its not bad at all once you get the harness out of the car. then basically cut and paste.

All these guys do is drive too fast, work on cars, chase ******* and drink.. really no fun at all...
Old 12-09-2011, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Miguel maybe it's God telling you to drive the Boxter LOL
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 12-09-2011, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: