Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
1987 Black Targa

Looking for a 930

All,

Have been searching for a 76-79 930. I look daily on the forums, ebay, Craigslist and some dealers. If anyone know of a decent one please let me know. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2011, 07:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Cant help as I am in Australia.
What I can say is you will love it.
Good luck with the search.
Why 76-79 ?
Old 11-20-2011, 09:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
1987 Black Targa

Thanks for the reply. I think there is something about those years. Lightweight, raw power, best investment and classic.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
i am sure you saw it but there is one on Ebay, a white one, although i think the year was newer than you want, and a pelican had one on the cars for sale this week. I think his name was fullquack or something.
15 Ram Eco Diesel
Old 11-21-2011, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
There is a vast difference between a 76-77 model and a 78-79 model. Just wanted to make sure you were aware. The 78-79 had improved brakes, intercooling, a bigger engine and I think improved rear trailing arms/geometry. All in all I think they are a more desireable choice.

Good luck, these are hard to come across a good one.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 11-21-2011, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Do your research! know the differences between the early cars, late cars, euro models ect. Many of these cars have modified over the years, it behooves you to know exactly what you're getting and/or not getting.. Good luck...
Old 11-21-2011, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage

Are you a member of PCA?
Old 11-21-2011, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
if you were asking me if i am a PCA member yes, but i need to renew. did not know who you were asking
15 Ram Eco Diesel
Old 11-21-2011, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to thebondman
Nevermind, I quess you're not interested in my car. Thanks for the NO REPLY to my message.

-BILL
1979 930- 3.4L Andial Racing P/C's/Fuel Enrichment System/Adjustable Boost Control,Euro Fuel System,Group B Cams,K27 Turbo(1.0 Bar) Andial Intercooler, GHL Muffler/SS Header Sys,Welt. SS Kit/Camber Brace, SS Brake Lines, 350mm Momo, Billet Pedals, 9x17 - 11x17 Fikse.
1999 FXSTC- Harley Davidson HI-4 Ignition,Thunderball Cam,Mikuni 42mm,Vance & Hines
2003 Jetta Wagon GLS 1.9L TDI
1993 GMC Jimmy 4x4
St. Louis PCA - Member
Kirkwood H.O.G. Chapter #2573 - Member
Gateway H.O.G Chapter #1337 - Charter Member

Last edited by thebondman; 11-23-2011 at 03:12 PM..
Old 11-21-2011, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
1987 Black Targa

Thanks for the input. I would prefer a 78-79 for all the reasons listed above but they are hard to find! I found a 79 today that has 85k. More miles than I want. Does that sound like a lot of miles?

I am not a PCA member yet but have thought about it. Is there an advantage?
Old 11-21-2011, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
When looking at old 930s, or any old cars for that matter, there is a balance between low miles and having sat idle for a long time. Sitting is bad for these cars. If the paint and interior are in great shape, a higher milage car may be preferable. 85k miles on a 32 year old 930 is not that high.

You will end up putting the money back into the car whether it is low or high mileage. Probably around $5k in the first year if you start driving it. Maybe less if you are a good wrench and have tools.

85k miles on a '79 would be around a 2700 miles/year average. When you are looking at the car, look at the service paperwork. Check the mileage for every visit and write it down next to the date of the visit and see how much it has been driven over the last 5 or 6 years. That will tell you what you are going to be looking at when you start driving it.

Then enjoy!

Good Luck,

1986 930 Ultra-Smith RUF Slant Nose conversion, RUF VB, K-27 HF-S, B&B Headers and Exhaust, RUF Short Shifter, RUF Interior
Old 11-22-2011, 03:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986 930 View Post
When looking at old 930s, or any old cars for that matter, there is a balance between low miles and having sat idle for a long time. Sitting is bad for these cars. If the paint and interior are in great shape, a higher milage car may be preferable. 85k miles on a 32 year old 930 is not that high.

You will end up putting the money back into the car whether it is low or high mileage. Probably around $5k in the first year if you start driving it. Maybe less if you are a good wrench and have tools.

85k miles on a '79 would be around a 2700 miles/year average. When you are looking at the car, look at the service paperwork. Check the mileage for every visit and write it down next to the date of the visit and see how much it has been driven over the last 5 or 6 years. That will tell you what you are going to be looking at when you start driving it.

Then enjoy!

Good Luck,
Great advice above. I bought my 79 930 five years ago and it had 85k miles on the speedo. The car was extremely clean and the owner showed me every rock chip on the front bumper and hood so I knew he took great care of it under his watch. It was only driven a few thousand miles the last few years so the tires were junk (I found out later), but the rubber seals and hoses were good which is what you need to check on a low use car. The turbo may be needing a rebuild if its original cause they last about 100k....but replace it with the modern k27 series anyway. Budget some bucks for the requisite intercooler and oil cooler upgrades if you want to invest in taking stress off the engine and making it last longer. Thats my advice. The 79 series also comes with the euro fuel head and injectors so its alot more suited to hp mods later when you're ready.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 11-22-2011, 04:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

1987 Black Targa

That is really good advice and I appreciate it. I have noticed that the lower miles (under 50k) have all needed over $5k in work (seals, etc.). This one has had a full rebuild 19k miles ago so I think everything is sorted out. I realize that isn't a lot of miles considering the age but the number just seems high. I keep thinking of resale down the line. The paint and interior are showing age. They wank $37k for it. Also high. I suppose if I could get it down, I could do some cosmetic work. Not a lot out there.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Keep looking I took 8 years to pull the trigger. Half the fun is the chase. I do not regret taking that long because I found the car I wanted and didn`t settle for something I didn`t want. That price seems a little high. Good luck w/ your search....
Old 11-23-2011, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: