Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum


Poll: 1977 or 1979
Poll Options
1977 or 1979

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
1987 Black Targa
 
Rainking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Seal Beach, CA
Posts: 81
Buying a 77 or 79 930 - Need Advice

All,

My search has led me to choose between a 77 and 79 930 turbo. The 77 has lower miles and seems to be in better shape. Which is the better buy? I know the major differences between them (engine, inter cooler, brakes, etc) but are there really major differences between them? I have not owned either of these years before so I don't have a lot of experience with them.

Help.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
vas930's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: RYE VICTORIA AUSTRALIA
Posts: 4,549
Garage
Go with the 79 for performance.
If you want to hot rod it one day, go with the 79.
If you dont care about the above, go with either.
Good luck.
__________________
79 Silver 930 SOLD
Old 11-22-2011, 11:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
proffighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,179
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vas930 View Post
Go with the 79 for performance.
If you want to hot rod it one day, go with the 79.
If you dont care about the above, go with either.
Good luck.
Second that
__________________
Roland

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 11-23-2011, 12:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
MikeD930's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: missouri
Posts: 1,566
Garage
I'd get a '79 due to factory upgrades and larger engine over a '77. If you don't care then have PPI done on both and go from there.
__________________
MikeD
'87 930
Old 11-23-2011, 03:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
copbait73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Chesterfield IN
Posts: 1,316
Garage
If you are not an all out hotrodder go with the '77. It has it's own character and will reward you when time to sell comes along.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
j930's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Anthem, AZ
Posts: 875
Garage
i dont know the major differences but i do want to know how you created a poll you can vote on! thats awesome. nice job
__________________
84 930 Slant
15 Sonata 2.0T
08 Ram 1500
15 Ram Eco Diesel
Old 11-23-2011, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
 
Registered User
 
full quack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 1,169
Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
What year did Porsche upgrade the brakes? Real early ones had so-so brakes, but I'm not keen on the actual years, had they been upgraded by '77?

Mark
Old 11-23-2011, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard
 
RarlyL8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 13,555
Garage
What year you choose depends on what you want to do with the car.
I would only buy an early 3.0L car as a collector. For performance the '78/9 is light years ahead. 917 brakes, 3.3L, and an intercooler.
__________________
RarlyL8 Motorsports / M&K Exhaust - 911/930 Exhaust Systems, Turbos, TiAL, CIS Mods/Rebuilds
'78 911SC Widebody, 930 engine, 915 Tranny, K27, SC Cams, RL8 Headers & GT3 Muffler. 350whp @ 0.75bar
Brian B. (256)536-9977 Service@MKExhaust Brian@RarlyL8
Old 11-23-2011, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Aircooled Breakfast
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 585
Like others have said, it pretty much depends on what you are looking for. I disagree that a 3,0 car won't be a good driver. The brakes are the biggest factor in my opinion but the early brakes can be made to work well with the right pads. They will never be the monster brakes that the '78-> cars have.

I have a both a '76 (which for all intents and purposes is the same as a '77) and an '86 (which is very similar to a '79). Very different driving experience. The '76 seems lots lighter and has more of a raw feel. The '86 is technically superior but feels like a heavier, more refined car. I love them both for different reasons. Given the chance, drive both of the cars you are looking at and see what appeals to you. You don't go into much detail as to condition, colors, price, etc. but that too would be a factor in choosing. -John
Old 11-23-2011, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus
 
fredmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Baltimore, MD, USA
Posts: 2,232
Garage
Buy one of each and be done with it.
__________________
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 11-23-2011, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bayside Wi
Posts: 2,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmeister View Post
Buy one of each and be done with it.
I have owned 1977 1978 1979 over the years also the later 86 + 930. The 77-79 are very similar as far as the light alive feeling as opposed to the later 80's models. So it looks like looking into the Crystal ball for future value if that is important. The 76-77 seem to appeal to the Euro historic crowd now so they seem bring more interest in today's market. Driving is as in earlier posts. 78 and 9's are a bit heavier but have the other performance advantages, and of course the 76-77 tail has a different appeal. It is really a tough choice however either one is great choice to own and drive.
__________________
Anthony @ Voitureltd Bayside WI.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Non User
 
infraredcalvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ladera Ranch, CA
Posts: 1,271
Garage
Not enough representation from the early guys on this. If kept as a street car, the s aluminum brakes are just fine. I have cooked them only once on the street and I was really trying hard to find the fade point. I moved to the larger turbo brakes because my car saw the occasional track/DE and i was planning on putting 18s with wider rubber. I've since decided to keep it off the track and stick with the 16 in fuchs. Been toying lately on switching back because I miss having more brake modulation with the smaller M/C. The upgraded M/C is a hair stiff and I'm getting lazy with the bigger clamps not having to watch the heat on the track. Regardless, the early cars are awesome drivers and you don't see too many of them. I must admit though I've never driven a 3.3, but I bet I'll be biased either way.
__________________
Infraredcalvin - AKA Pat
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'74 914 track basket-case
Old 11-23-2011, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus
 
fredmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Baltimore, MD, USA
Posts: 2,232
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by voitureltd View Post
I have owned 1977 1978 1979 over the years also the later 86 + 930. The 77-79 are very similar as far as the light alive feeling as opposed to the later 80's models. So it looks like looking into the Crystal ball for future value if that is important. The 76-77 seem to appeal to the Euro historic crowd now so they seem bring more interest in today's market. Driving is as in earlier posts. 78 and 9's are a bit heavier but have the other performance advantages, and of course the 76-77 tail has a different appeal. It is really a tough choice however either one is great choice to own and drive.
The early cars were a overall a little lighter and probably have a little less weight over the rear end because of the lack of intercooler and the lighter clutch. This may explain the livelier feel. Unfortunately Porsche started adding all the luxury items it thought turbo owners wanted with the later cars making them heavy.
I think the extra power offered with the 3.3 makes it more attractive to own.
__________________
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 11-23-2011, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 253
1977 with 917 brakes, intercooler and you still have the MC-like stroke 70,4mm. Two upgrades to a 75-77 and IMO you have the best of both worlds. The stroked 3.3L gives a different longer stroke engine. If you want the small extra tourge from 0,3 liter just add a squish of boost to the 3.0 and you still have that very responsive engine. You have plenty of low CR (7.0:1) on the 77 OEM to add that boost with a intercooler.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bayside Wi
Posts: 2,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmeister View Post
The early cars were a overall a little lighter and probably have a little less weight over the rear end because of the lack of intercooler and the lighter clutch. This may explain the livelier feel. Unfortunately Porsche started adding all the luxury items it thought turbo owners wanted with the later cars making them heavy.
I think the extra power offered with the 3.3 makes it more attractive to own.
Agreed, another reason is from 78 on, the 930 had a longer bell housing to accommodate the rubber clutch assembly which replaced the 935 type clutch in the pre 78 cars, which not only added weight but also moved the motor rearward by over 2 inches to make it more tail happy and resulted in a higher inflation spec ( to 43PSI ) for the rear tires. So yes the differences add up between 77 onward but become more noticeable differences in the later cars as more weight was added due mostly to creature comforts. So for sure pre 78's are the lightest and liveliest and I think make the best race on Sunday and drive to work on Monday sort of machine if inter cooled and later brakes and other suspension mods are installed ( and of course internally upgraded to 3.2 with 98MM cylinders/pistons or more for more CC and 8.1 compression and twin plugs ) for more boost etc. I have had these ( old school ) builds in the past pre 78 930 cars and they are more responsive, docile, than some current dual purpose builds on the later heaver 930 cars using current technology that I've driven lately.
__________________
Anthony @ Voitureltd Bayside WI.

Last edited by voitureltd; 11-23-2011 at 06:02 PM..
Old 11-23-2011, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: chicago
Posts: 499
Garage
Hi Guys, I have to agree with what Tony said. Owning both models, I would have to say the earlier cars (76-77) are a bit more raw. The later years (mine 86) are a bit more refined as the car evolved. The earlier cars do feel lighter and a bit more agile. I have two 76's. At one time the plan was to build to identical race cars for my brother and I to run. Plans change. One race car is built, the other will probably be sold in the near future. As far as the motors, the 3.3 has a bit more power in the stock configuration, but the shorter stroke of the 3.0 makes it rev. much quicker. There are endless possibilities with these cars, with either you will be happy. Jeff
Old 11-24-2011, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Jbp Jbp is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: vasa Finland
Posts: 260
My vote is for the -79.
Mutch more car for your $$$


Jocke.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Rockwall, Texas
Posts: 8,765
I belive that JFairman pointed out in a past thread that the primary reason that the early 930s feel more nimble is simply because of their thinner wheels/tires and I belive he said the weight difference was negligable . . .

Last edited by Ronnie's.930; 11-25-2011 at 12:30 PM..
Old 11-25-2011, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bayside Wi
Posts: 2,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie's.930 View Post
I belive that JFairman pointed out in a past thread that the primary reason that the early 930s feel more nimble is simply because of their thinner wheels/tires and I belive he said the weight difference was negligable . . .
As I have read the weights in the owners manuals, although some time ago, I think the 76-77 was around 2650 and the later cars were around 2800. Also because, from 78 on the motor was moved back, as a result extra weight was also added for other things, so changes were required to accommodate the extra weight behind the rear axle, as it became more of a car that was easier to drive everyday. This is my taken from the ones I have driven. I really in general, for some reasons, prefer the early ones, however I do really enjoy driving some of the later ones.
__________________
Anthony @ Voitureltd Bayside WI.

Last edited by voitureltd; 11-25-2011 at 06:53 PM..
Old 11-25-2011, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
1987 Black Targa
 
Rainking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Seal Beach, CA
Posts: 81
Thanks to everyone who has responded. I really appreciate the different perspectives. I am leaning towards the 77. I did learn in my closer inspection that it is a non-sunroof car. I looked at so many 79s that I assumed they all came with a sunroof. Maybe a sunroof delete package? As I think about it I guess I don't mind. Makes the car even lighter...Is it less desirable from a resale perspective?
Old 11-25-2011, 09:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:25 PM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.