Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.25 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Jim, I pulled off the 14 pin connector and cleaned the pins when I first got the car. I'll do that trace if cleaning the spade doesn't do the trick.

They won't rub when I'm finished mounting them. The fenders have to be trimmed, the oil lines moved, and the trailing arm bolts ground down. I used to run Yokos on the red rocket and they were 3/4" wider than the Pirellis so these should be less work to fit.
You have a picture of yours with the fat boys on? Our cars are similar, I'd like to see what yours looked like.
Brian, on the slants they usually rub on the driver side in front of the rear wheel. Its got a box riveted to the inside of the fender. Too bad Porsche didn't design a duct to ram the air into the air box. I know you will figure out a way to make it work so I cannot wait to see those big boys on there.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #181 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Yes I have addressed the air vent box. These cars have a lot of non-typical stuff added. When I get back to it I need to post pictures of some of this stuff so you all can ID it. I have no clue what this stuff is/does.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #182 (permalink)

Garage
this is the new yokohama 285-40-15
best pic i have showing some profile of the tires

this is the best pic i could find of the old pirellis that were on there, i believe they were the same size as you are putting on.

15 Ram Eco Diesel
Old 01-08-2012, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #183 (permalink)

Quote:
B&B? Unless that stands for Brian Bodart we need to talk, ha!

As for the tires, we're going retro

Don't worry Brian I'll come find you when it's time for the K27
'86 930
Old 01-08-2012, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #184 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Ha, yes we'll fix you up.

Beautiful car you have there. If mine turns out half as nice I'll be happy. I plan to paint the wide Fuchs charcoal gray to match the car and then slam it to the ground. We'll see how that works out as I plan to drive this one a lot more than I did the red rocket. Hoping the 24.5" tall tires complement those tall 930 4spd gears and help give me back my burnouts once the mods are in. I just loved blasting the tires on the rocket and this one's gotta do the same, even if it is in only 1st gear instead of both 1 and 2 like the 915.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #185 (permalink)

Garage
Brian it loves the euro fuel head, euro lines and rebuilt WUR you provided. thanks again. John
15 Ram Eco Diesel
Old 01-08-2012, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #186 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Well I stumbled into something unexpected. The "new" P-Zero Pirelli 345s are not the same size as the "old" Pirelli P-7s!! They are MUCH larger. This changes things a little as I was expecting an easy fit. The Yokohama 345's are 3/4" wider than the P-7 Pirelli's and require a lot of work to fit. These new P-Zero's are the same width as the Yoko's and about 1/2" taller. Wow. I've never seen a Pirelli of any size that ran large.
Anyway don't know if this is useful to anyone but here are a few pictures.

Yokohama vs Pirelli P-7

Pirelli P-Zero vs Yokohama

Pirelli P-Zero vs P-7

Old 01-17-2012, 08:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #187 (permalink)

Garage
you can get the yoko 285 out of europe. if you need the name let me know i will dig it up. they only do a run like twice a year. they fit perfectly on mine.
15 Ram Eco Diesel
Old 01-17-2012, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #188 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Stole a little time last night to work on fitting the monster tires on the rear.
The passenger's side is always the hard one due to the oil lines. I have also noticed that the passenger's side fender well spacing on many 930's is about 1/8"-1/4" to the outside when compared to the driver's side. That makes fitment even more difficult. For now I am using the Yoko 345's as they appear to be the same width as the new Pirelli's.
This is gonna be REALLY tight.
Maybe too tight, dunno yet. The 930 brakes are an issue with the 15" wheels. I have replaced the thick washers with thin on the banana arms and ground down the bolts. Oil lines are OK located where they are. The offset on my wheels reduces the spacer to 5/16" on the DS which puts the wheel within 1/4" of the caliper. The wheels are going to the powdercoat guy this week and then the Pirelli's will be mounted. Fingers double crossed that these tires are more narrow than the Yokos.

The red rocket is now in Texas. The new owner had EurAsian add a few cosmetic upgrades to the interior while it was there for the world's most expensive 5 minute air injector nut replacement. I'm so glad the new owner is taking the car to the next level and plans to enjoy it. That car is so much more than driveway jewelry.

Last edited by RarlyL8; 01-22-2012 at 08:44 AM..
Old 01-22-2012, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #189 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Hey there Brian,

So...you are going to slam it you say, as you know I've dropped mine a tad bit.
Since the inside contour of the slant front fenders is different than standard upright headlight fenders, you are no doubt, going to have some interferance issues on the drivers side, possibly even worse than I have encountered.
In particular, the windshield washer bottle & it's filler tube{unless the slant has a different system} you are going to contact it when turning real tight{parking lots & driveways & such}.
After 2-1/2 years of being this low, I've worn clean through the filler tube, and left a noticable rub/melt on the botom edge of the tank.
I also highly suggest that you install a set of Weltmeister front tow hooks, they are a great "feeler" for what the car can or cannot get over{I have already ground about 3/4" off the bottom of even these tow hooks}.
If you go with aftermarket rear sway bars, the lower links & mounts will also be in jeopardy. These hit before anything else gets contact in the rear.
However, you may not be quite as touched as me, and may not be going as low, but Forewarned is forearmed!

Mark
Old 01-22-2012, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #190 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
It probably will not be as low as yours. Jury is still out on the rear tires, they are really tight and simply may not work. I'm going to give it one hellofa try though as I want this look.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #191 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Brian

Congratulations with your 930.

This product really performs miracles on worn rubber and plastic:

SONAX Xtreme Plastic restorer gel exterior NanoPro :: Exterior, Paintwork and Chrome :: Products :: Car Care - SONAX - cleaning and polishing like a professional

I used it on all rubber and plastic during restoration of my 930 and it brought heavily worn parts right back to life.

By the way, how are the heater-boxes coming?
Old 01-23-2012, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #192 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Thanks for the restoration tip. A care package was sent to me by a fellow Pelican so I plan to try that stuff out first and see how it goes. Very slowly the car is coming back to the living as I steal a few minutes here and there to work on it.

By far the most frustrating project I have ever worked on are these heat exchangers. The headers we build are pretty much custom with the flanges for the heads and turbo being static while everything inbetween can move around with the welding heat. That makes standardizing the heat exchangers very very difficult. Late last night I finished modifying a set for headers sold a couple years ago, thank God I kept examples from each batch that can be used as a fixture. Templates were made from that set so I can start building them for the folks having the oldest headers. I've been told I'm just too anal and they are fine, but fine ain't good enough. Any outfit can produce fine. One bright spot is the stainless thread I am using to increase surface area and seal the gaps really seems to work well. I tested a set on the red rocket just before it left and they kept the cabin acceptable when it was 28 out.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #193 (permalink)

headers

So am I hearing correct? Are a set of headers with heat exchangers almost ready to send down under?

Jim
Old 01-24-2012, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #194 (permalink)

Garage
Mine have been shipped and are on their way I'm looking forward to some comfy spring motoring. Don't really need heat 95% of the time, but man it will be nice for the other 5% of the time!
Old 01-24-2012, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #195 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Depends on when you bought the headers. I'm building exchangers to fit the oldest headers first and will work my way forward in time. It is a very slow process as each set is hand made. I figure my time is worth about a nickel an hour, ha! Those folks with the oldest headers have been saints during this whole ordeal. I have a list of everyone who wanted them and the batch number when their headers were made so no one should be left out. In the mean time you will notice my cool new to me car is still painfully stock. I hope to be working on that problem in-between manufacturing runs on the exchangers. No 915 holdin' this car back baby!
Old 01-24-2012, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #196 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
No time to actually work on the car today but I took the aging carpet out of the trunk for the first time to see what things looked like. Well it looks like a tomb. Should clean up easy enough though.
My first thought was What in the world is all of this crap?
The old red rocket had no electric anything. There were no wires in the trunk. The smugglers box was empty. The fuse panel was 1/3 that full. There was no funky gas tank tube thingy.
Can any of you tell me what this stuff is????
What is that bracket bolted to the smugglers box lid?
What are those huge wires by the smugglers box? Old stereo amp cables?
There must be 50 pounds of wires from that aftermarket alarm system that I'm afraid to touch. A little box on the driver's side says CARBINE on it. Anyone know anything about this system? I'm afraid to lock my doors!

On an up note I took the car to the auto parts store this morning and boy does it run nice! She starts slow (needs a new WUR, there's a shocker) but then smooths out and runs just great. This car has more power than I'm used to the stock ones having. I'm wondering if it might not have SC cams. Bottom end has a lot of torque and it will pull away easy with no bucking at 1000rpm with the clutch out and cruise at 1500rpm. Nothing too exiting on boost with the 3LDZ but all in all a peppy little car!
Old 01-28-2012, 08:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #197 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Brian just guessing but that looks like a very old cell phone car mount that look a lot like the old panasonic brick phone I had back in the early 80's.
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 01-28-2012, 09:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #198 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Quote:

The smugglers box was empty

This looks like fan etc. of air con

There was no funky gas tank tube thingy

This has two reasons. 1st is to ease tank filling, so the volume of air in the tank can drain while filling and 2nd to avoid fuel vapors getting into atmosphere

What is that bracket bolted to the smugglers box lid

Sure nothing from factory

What are those huge wires by the smugglers box

Ditto
Hope this helps a bit

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 01-29-2012, 02:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #199 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Thanks guys!
I know the big cables and a lot of the wires are related to the alarm system, hoping someone knows something about that alarm. I think the mount on the smugglers box lid is for an amp as there are big cables below it in the picture. Hoping someone would recognize that as well.
The junk in the box looks like HVAC stuff but there are other wires as well which I think are more alarm system stuff.
Lot of crap. I'm no electrician and all this stuff just looks like something waiting to go bad to me which is why I want to know what it is and what I can get rid of. The schematics don't do squat for me as you can't "see" where the stuff is located or what it looks like.
Amaizing that everything seems to work in this time machine! So far I'm lovin' this car!
Next week I hope to schedule time with my body guy and get these dented flairs fixed up.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #200 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: