Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.25 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrken View Post
Wow, it's like a shot of Nessie or the Sasquatch! At least one set of exchangers for your headers does exist! I've waited courteously and patiently- you would agree- for 2-1/2 years for mine. This is my first public airing of it. I'd like to know when and if you are ever going to ship them, or come out and just admit defeat, which would be closure, at least. I can simply buy another set and sell your headers to someone in a warmer climate than the NorthEast, but I've waited b/c it's always "won't be long now".
I wanted to close the loop here- Brian did deliver a set of the heat boxes last week. They fit well, and while they appear marginal, this is not a winter car and I'm sure they will provide "some" heat and better window defrost than the napkins I've been keeping on hand. They were also provided at no charge, a nice touch by Brian that goes to offsetting my multi-year wait. Early adopters often experience prototyping learning pains, but I trust others won't have any such wait-times.
My thanks, and please return the thread to it's regularly scheduled program...
Old 04-29-2012, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #321 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
We are slowly working through the exchanger debacle one system at a time in an effort to have them fit properly.

Today we finished up an engine build and are preparing to install. This one needs exchangers also which I'll have to modify to fit like all the rest. Best to install the exchangers after the engine is in so they don't get damaged. The exchangers are made of hardened aluminum so as not to abraid the 321 stainless. It also helps for them to be a bit flexible so the wrap around the headers better.

Now back to the Gray Ghost ....
I purchased a set of USA tail light lenses some time ago as I think the car will look better with all the lights being red. The amber is distracting.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #322 (permalink)
I've gone native

I have about 5 ft of that aluminum heater piping stuff if u need a chunk.
v
Quote:

Quote de gsxrken

Wow, it's like a shot of Nessie or the Sasquatch! At least one set of exchangers for your headers does exist! I've waited courteously and patiently- you would agree- for 2-1/2 years for mine. This is my first public airing of it. I'd like to know when and if you are ever going to ship them, or come out and just admit defeat, which would be closure, at least. I can simply buy another set and sell your headers to someone in a warmer climate than the NorthEast, but I've waited b/c it's always "won't be long now".

I wanted to close the loop here- Brian did deliver a set of the heat boxes last week. They fit well, and while they appear marginal, this is not a winter car and I'm sure they will provide "some" heat and better window defrost than the napkins I've been keeping on hand. They were also provided at no charge, a nice touch by Brian that goes to offsetting my multi-year wait. Early adopters often experience prototyping learning pains, but I trust others won't have any such wait-times.

My thanks, and please return the thread to it's regularly scheduled program...

Old 05-06-2012, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #323 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
RarlyL8 Exhaust - FINALLY!

I had one of my custom valances painted to match the car when the wheels were done some time ago. Been trying to find the time to get the Skunkwerks muffler that was on the Red Rocket mounted on the slant. Enough already so after everyone was in bed this weekend I snuck out to the shop and got 'er done.
Much better now.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #324 (permalink)
Banned

Very cool Brian - my favorite pipe arangement by far!
Old 05-14-2012, 09:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #325 (permalink)

FS 1987 930 DTAFast EFI w/Electronic Dash, 17x9x11" Lindsey Racing Fuchs, Andial 8.39 R&P, C2 Intake, SuperCup Cams, Flame Ringed Heads & Cylinders, TurboKraft Full Bay Intercooler, RearlyL8 Twin Scroll Headers, Big Bullseye Twin Scroll Turbo...SOLD
1999 Harley Davidson Custom 1250 Hardtail Bobber..SOLD
2014 BMW X6M, 2012 BMW 128i, 2014 GMC Sierra, 2015 Cobia 237 Center Console 300hp Yamaha
Old 05-15-2012, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #326 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
I had one of my custom valances painted to match the car when the wheels were done some time ago.

Yeah.. nice pipe arrangement, I like that behind!!
RGruppe #180
So many cars..so little time!!
Old 05-15-2012, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #327 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Hey Brian will that setup shoot flames?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
I had one of my custom valances painted to match the car when the wheels were done some time ago. Been trying to find the time to get the Skunkwerks muffler that was on the Red Rocket mounted on the slant. Enough already so after everyone was in bed this weekend I snuck out to the shop and got 'er done.
Much better now.

76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 05-15-2012, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #328 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmith660 View Post
Hey Brian will that setup shoot flames?
Yep, I know for a fact that it does
1987 Porsche 930 New Cam Runin - YouTube
FS 1987 930 DTAFast EFI w/Electronic Dash, 17x9x11" Lindsey Racing Fuchs, Andial 8.39 R&P, C2 Intake, SuperCup Cams, Flame Ringed Heads & Cylinders, TurboKraft Full Bay Intercooler, RearlyL8 Twin Scroll Headers, Big Bullseye Twin Scroll Turbo...SOLD
1999 Harley Davidson Custom 1250 Hardtail Bobber..SOLD
2014 BMW X6M, 2012 BMW 128i, 2014 GMC Sierra, 2015 Cobia 237 Center Console 300hp Yamaha
Old 05-15-2012, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #329 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Good cuz I have had a couple punk kids following me too close and I really want to light up their life a bit.
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 05-15-2012, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #330 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I used Bug & Tar Remover to clean my license plate on the Red Rocket as it would turn a yellowish brown from the flame-outs. The pipes were extended out a little on the slant to help protect the plate. The huge bumper boobs do a great job shielding my leg from hitting the pipes when walking by.

I want to pull the engine on this car so bad I could spit! The thing re-defines filthy. There is a decades old oil leak up top that is pretty significant as it leaves a 2" drip spot when the engine is on. I think it is the breather cover as I have replaced the leaking breather hose and sending unit to no avail. I had a great set of cams made for me that ended up in the engine pictured above, he needs them more than I do right now. When we fired that engine I was green with envy hearing that rough cammed sound coming from a 930. Cannot wait to yank this engine clean it up and put some power to it!

Old 05-15-2012, 07:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #331 (permalink)

Garage
I would pull it when you get a chance. When my engine came out for a topend rebuild, it had a thick layer of old dirt and grime, and I mean thick.
This has got to affect cooling on these aircooled charged engines.

Once again, really nice car!
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 05-15-2012, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #332 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Someone tell me how to get flames?
Old 05-15-2012, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #333 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
The car is getting there, just have to keep the deck lid shut, ha!

Easiest way to get flames is open the BOV to atmosphere. I rigged up a 965 BOV on the Rocket with no recirculation.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #334 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Dang, I can do that.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #335 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Boost at last!!

From day 1 this car has not been able to get on and stay on boost. She pulls good to 4200rpm (boost) then stutters or looses power. I can tell it would run strong if boost stayed. Anyway after looking at all the obvious stuff I rebuilt the BOV which had no identifiable gaskets left in it.
No improvement.
This really shocked me but I had no time to do any more so parked it. After weeks of this bugging me I pulled a used BOV off the shelf and pulled it apart. Looked brand new inside. This unit came off a 20K mile car but looks like zero miles. Decided to put new gaskets in it and swap it out with the cruddy one on the slant.

Finished the job and jumped in for a ride; no start. What the hell.
Long story short the (+) wire on the coil was corroded. Pulled all that apart cleaned everything and fired it up.

The engine immediately sounded better. Jumped in and ran 'er down the road and could tell this dude has some balls for a stocker. Got on the highway hit the loud peddle and WOW, this stock dude hauls ass! Very cool. Now that we have boost it's time to MOD. YES!

Moral of the story: changing gaskets may not fix a garbage BOV. This one was obviously not working correctly. The spring and pistons were all corroded and cleaning them up didn't do the job.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #336 (permalink)
Wide body, molester.

Holy smokes! Is that the BOV spring on the bench?
Old 05-31-2012, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #337 (permalink)

Garage
When did Porsche use BOV's on 930's? My 1978 Euro does not have one.
I am new to 930 so please cut me a little slack for the newby question.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #338 (permalink)

It looks like you put the same K&N air filter on the CIS that fits well and some people have put on including me.

FWIW it also looks like the origonal stamped gold cad plated steel and rubber oring seal for the stock air filter housing is still sitting on the CIS air flow meter under the new K&N filter.

It serves no purpose with the K&N that is rubber and fits like it was made for the car and seals perfect with the included hose clamp.
That origonal steel and rubber seal that sealed against the rounded bottom of the stock air cleaner housing lifts right off before sliding the K&N on there and with it out of the way lets the air filter slide down another 1/4" on the air flow meter.
That gives more clearance for the top of the air filter for a possible vent line to be installed and looks alot better.
Cutting a little V out of the bottom rubber edge of the K&N in between the folded screen pleats with a razor blade makes it clear and fit around the CO adjustment post.

Loosening the two rear motor mount bolts and lowering the back of the motor down few inches on a floor jack only takes a few minutes and makes it easy to install or remove one of those filters without bending or squishing any of the metal screen pleats

Last edited by JFairman; 05-31-2012 at 08:52 AM..
Old 05-31-2012, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #339 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Yes the "new" BOV spring is on the bench, it's a whopper all right. The original was covered with oxidation which makes me think the surfaces were so rough the piston was hanging up causing the no-boost situation.

Welcome to the 930 world! Yes your '78 has this same assembly stock. You can see it in the engine picture with a white rag stuck in the throttle body.

Thank you Jim for the tip! My home-made round paper setup went with the red rocket. I've seen folks use these and thought I'd give K&N a try even though I think their product HP claims are BS. Next time I remove the filter I'll take that steel/rubber ring off as you suggest. I didn't lower the engine and had no trouble fitting the filter. To me lowering the engine to fit an air filter is nuts, I'd go back to the paper filter before going to that extreme.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #340 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: