Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.25 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Hi Brian, Here is a picture of my engine, if it was suppose to have a BOV, Maybe it was removed by a previous owner? should I have one?
Old 06-02-2012, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #341 (permalink)
Banned

Yours has been converted to a "long neck" intercooler setup and the complete, OEM blow off valve/recirculation assembly as been removed. Is there a small blow off valve mounted somewhere on the intercooler? Yes, you should definitely have one as it releases excessive boost pressure when the throttle plate closes . . .

Last edited by Ronnie's.930; 06-02-2012 at 04:56 PM..
Old 06-02-2012, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #342 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #343 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
If the 965 BOV is on the IC there seems to be no provision for recirculation. Not mandatory but typically the BOV is perched on top the air meter assembly elbow.

Had another Pelican fly over today for a visit. We got the gray ghost out for a shakedown run through the mountains, great fun! The slant ran well and seems very strong for a stocker. She could use a fuel head rebuild when I can get around to it but for now I'm just glad she runs so well!

The chocolate rocket is a gorgeous car. Straight clean and quick. Thank you Miguel and Victoria for the visit, we'll have to do that again!

It was chilly in the early morning this weekend. New USA tail lights on now, I like that look with this color scheme.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #344 (permalink)

Finally had the chance to meet the slant on the road, straight as an arrow, great stance and plenty of power; Brian's so humble with his stuff. You just wait until you see his new creation - a zork looking exhaust system that can be "loud" or "very quite" with the flip of a switch within the same muffler... wild!
I had a chance to test my car after the replaced WUR, engine harness and a new muffler Brian provided to me - at no cost - because mine was too loud to him after it lost the packing.
We had a great Sunday morning drive - before church was out... with cool temps and some fantastic roads he knows about. Even the wives behaved nicely. The plan is to do it again in the near future and hopefully other Pelicanees tag alone. Fun, fun fun.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #345 (permalink)

I really like the look of the center exhaust and wastegate pipes, I really want to do that with me car someday....
Congrats you've got a great car
1982 930, K-27, BL adj. WUR, Rarlyl8 Headers and Hooligan muffler, MSD 6, 22 and 30mm torsion bars, poly bronze bushings 30mm raised spindles and custom valved Bilstein shocks (by Elephant Racing), monoballs front and rear (by Rennline), Alton 17" Fuchs, Fred Cook fuse panel
Old 06-04-2012, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #346 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Big day!!

Well the femailman was really nice to me today. Of all the packages she brings on a daily basis this tiny one was worth it's "wait" in gold.

The title to my car.

YES! After 8 months of government bull**** I finally own the car I paid for those months ago. Apparently Alabama will not go to the effort of retrieving paperwork from any other state for gray market Porsches. You have to do it for them. In my case I had to prove a car that had been in the US for 27 years was here legally (how ironic is THAT right now?). Any way VERY long story short, I was rescued by a fellow Pelicanite who put me in touch with an import agent in DC that simply hit a couple of key strokes, found the original 27 year old federalization documents and told me AL DOT are a bunch of idiots.
THANK YOU!

Old 07-19-2012, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #347 (permalink)

Garage
Congrats Brian.

Almost everything is a struggle of some sort...

I have title, but no driveable car...
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 07-20-2012, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #348 (permalink)

I told you, it would work out.

Faith my friend.

Walt
Old 07-20-2012, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #349 (permalink)

mine was a salvage title. After the car was put together it took 6 trips to DMV to get a repaired title. each time they wanted something different would look a paperwork that was ok on one trip not ok the next. Finally had to tell them I'll see you in court i have met all the requirments and still more BS. When i said that suddenly everything was ok. took about 6 months.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 07-21-2012, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #350 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Fuel System Refresh

The fuel system on this car is now cascade failing as I put more miles on it. Have you seen that Mel Gibson movie where he is cryogenically suspended in time for 50 years and then revives only to age rapidly to where he should have been? That's what is happening to this car. It was stored in a barn the better part of 20 years and now all the age is coming home to roost.
This was however expected and thus the topic of this thread.

Symptoms:
Pig rich under all conditions to the point where periodically the engine will bellow smoke out the rear and struggle to idle.
Test Method:
Verify fuel pressures.
Results:
System pressure is low (83psi) indicating weak pumps. Changed out front pump with OEM replacement, purchased -044 Bosch for rear pump replacement but need special fitting to make it work. Will change out when part arrives. Engine runs somewhat better with new front pump. Pressure up to 85psi which is still weak.

Symptoms:
Whenever I get gas the engine runs very badly upon startup and will not idle.
Test Method:
Check bleed down time on fuel pressure after shutdown.
Results:
Irratic response as some times pressure will hold and sometimes it will not. Indicates faulty fuel accumulator. Changed out accumulator and engine immediately starts perfectly.
Note - the fuel filter and accumulator are easier to R&R than it looks so don't be scared to do it.

Here is one of the hazards we have down here when your cars sits too long. This little beasty was guarding my rear fuel pump.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #351 (permalink)

"System pressure is low (83psi) indicating weak pumps. Changed out front pump with OEM replacement, purchased -044 Bosch for rear pump replacement but need special fitting to make it work. Will change out when part arrives. Engine runs somewhat better with new front pump. Pressure up to 85psi which is still weak."

I recognize that fuel pump

When I tried the black euro fuel head on my car that I sold you a few years ago system pressure was around 85 psi with it because thats the correct system pressure for it and that is controlled by the spring preload tension in the small fuel pressure regulator in the fuel head.
The thickness of the shim(s) under the larger of the two springs in that fuel system pressure regulator controls how high fuel pressure rises before it starts returning fuel to the gas tank regulating a steady controlled fuel system pressure for that particular fuel head.

When I put an aluminum CIS flowtech modified fuel head back on the car the fuel system pressure went back up to 98psi because thats the correct fuel system pressure for it. The spring in the aluminum lambda fuel heads are shimmed a little more to raise system fuel pressure because along with injecting fuel they have two seperate control pressure circuts returning fuel to the gas tank (the other being the lambda system returning lower differential chamber control pressure when it was still there) in order to fine tune AFR and meet emissions.

If you take a pair of needle nose vice grips or pliers and with a rag wrapped around the line squeeze the rubber part of the return line shut you should see fuel system pressure instantly sky rocket to something higher.
Make sure you have a mechanical fuel pressure gauge that goes over 100psi or it may get tweaked by the higher pressure and become inaccurate after that. The sending unit for an electric fuel pressure gauge should tolerate it ok.
That will prove it's not your fuel pumps causing the 83-85psi system pressure your trying to raise, it's the fuel pressure regulator spring tension in the cast iron black fuel head that needs to be shimmed a little higher.

Installing the 044 pump in the back instead of whats back there now will increase fuel volume and flow, and it may increase flow to the point that it's supplying more fuel than can pass through the small system fuel pressure regulator in the fuel head. That would increase system fuel pressure and also control pressure at the same time unless you adjust it a little lower at the CPR.

Remember when system pressure is raised control pressure raises at the same time and that hydraulic fuel pressure on top of the control plunger will close the air flow meter a little more for any given RPM or engine load suffocating the air intake along with leaning out the fuel delivery to the injectors at the same time. The results of that are completely opposite of what you are trying to achieve... unless you lower control pressure at the same time.

I like the bosch 044 fuel pumps but they are noisier than the stock ones. Thats the only downside.
Good luck with the outcome.

Last edited by JFairman; 09-16-2012 at 10:18 AM..
Old 09-16-2012, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #352 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Yes that is your black front pump Jim, thank you very much. Spec range on the -037 Euro FD is 84-87psi. I typically will not shim a stock head on a stock system as they were set correct at the factory. If the pressure is off you have a problem. That problem could be that the FD needs rebuilt or the fuel pumps are weak. If you cannot afford to rebuild the FD or buy new pumps then a shim adjustment is a cheap bandaid, as long as you stay aware that the faulty component will continue to fail. I have found most 20 year old fuel pumps, while functioning, have become weak and nearly all fuel distributors are full of gunk and could use a rebuild. We don't even want to talk about old WURs. Those were tune-up items that were to be replaced every 5 years max. It gets expensive but this should be expected from a 20+ year old mechanical fuel system if no maintenance has been done. This car has had ZERO maintenance that I can see so the entire fuel system will be refreshed. It is amazing to me that the engine runs at all; and it realy runs pretty decent. The sucker has a LOT of power for a stock Euro. She pulls hard and continues to run better with every component that is rebuilt.

Yes increased flow will raise the system pressure which is what needs done. I plan to regulate the pressure to 90psi at the head and then use the adjustable WUR to dial in the AFRs across the range. This is what we do on the 350-400WHP builds and it works well.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #353 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Rebuilt Sun Visors

Haven't had much time to work on the machine but things are progressing.
The car's running better with the new pump and accumulator, still don't have the rear pump changed so we don't go far from home.

Big deal for this week was getting the sun visors rebuilt. Those things were nasty! Looked like two goofy puff balls. I could not find anything aftermarket so decided to have them redone.
A buddy of mine noted that the OEM visors protrude into the sunroof area so we had them cut down 1". They now fit perfectly! Process is to strip off all the old covering, gut the interior, cut/re-weld the skeleton, add a board for support, cover all in a thin layer of padding, then re-skin the unit. I'm not a pretty man so the mirrors were tossed.
Inexpensive, performs well and looks great!

Next "project" is a new steering wheel. That old crap's gotta go!

Old 10-13-2012, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #354 (permalink)
I've gone native

Did you ever source a steering wheel?
Old 10-13-2012, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #355 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I ended up buying a vintage MOMO. Lucky find. The wheel is black leather with red piping and a Porsche crest horn button. It's going to go with the theme very well!
Old 10-14-2012, 04:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #356 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

Hi Brian,

Just wondering if you got the 044 pump fitting I sent mated to the M14 hose fitting?

If this 044 is the best pump available, and it has such a large inlet size, I would think it is intended to be up front where its needed the most.

Just trying to learn every day as much as possible about these beasts.

Len

Old 10-14-2012, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #357 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Appreciate the effort Len! You'd think a -044 pump had never been put in the rear of a 930; no one has the magic fitting. I ordered an adapter to mate the M18 -044 to the M14 OEM but this may be adding too much length. I'll have to see how much room there is.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #358 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Appreciate the effort Len! You'd think a -044 pump had never been put in the rear of a 930; no one has the magic fitting. I ordered an adapter to mate the M18 -044 to the M14 OEM but this may be adding too much length. I'll have to see how much room there is.
Possible to make a new fitting that adapts the M14 to -044? Cant be that hard as I make goofy fittings all the time at work that go from -an to metric/sae ect.
2001 Audi TTQ - 1:04 Lime Rock, 1:32 NHIS Double Chicane - GT3 Seats | Custom Cage | Boxster Calipers | H&R Coils | 3" DP | Borla Exhaust | TyrolSport SMIC's | Nitto NT-01's |
Old 10-15-2012, 03:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #359 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
The elusive adapter is a male M18x1.5 / female M14x1.5 or better yet ditch the adapter and go from an M18x1.5 to the M16 that accepts the conical fuel hose.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #360 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: