Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.25 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
needs new tires. Again.

Big thanks for this thread, I will be working on a nice 42,000 1985 euro 930 in the near future and it is great to see the details on everything that's broke so far on Brian's. I'm coming from - and I'm still in the 928 world with my 87, and its taken 8 years to get that car where almost where I want it. The 930 belongs to my father and hasn't gotten a lot of maintenance, only fixes when it breaks. It's getting about 1000 miles a year and seems to be doing pretty well, but we'll see what I find in the future.

I've already got a refinished dash on the way - the original leather is toast. Next I'll need a speaker deck. Too much time in the sun, this one has had. I'll start my own thread at some point, but until then I will be keeping close watch here!
Old 07-29-2013, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #521 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Congrats!
I'm sure you won't have the "adventure" that I am, ha!
Personally I don't know of any other 30 year old exotic car that can be a made a daily driver, these cars are awesome! And they still command the gawks from kids of all ages.
We'll be here when you start bringing your dad's car back and be glad to help.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #522 (permalink)
needs new tires. Again.

Thanks for the welcome, I'm looking forward to this one.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #523 (permalink)

Garage
Brian , great score would love to have a slant nose . I am sure some of your great products will wake it a bit !
Kozmo
Old 11-08-2013, 10:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #524 (permalink)
PorscheMoparLiterbike

hi Brian love keeping up with your progress. Was just thinking, if you put a gauge kit together with all the parameters you discussed for CIS, what a great tuning tool
I would definitely buy it.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #525 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by b5aar View Post
hi Brian love keeping up with your progress. Was just thinking, if you put a gauge kit together with all the parameters you discussed for CIS, what a great tuning tool
I would definitely buy it.
Bosch k jetronic fuel injection commonly called "CIS" for constant injection system has been around forty years now... and so has the system and control pressure test gauge kit with a ball valve after the T in the line leading to the 100psi gauge with air purge valve to check control pressure or system pressure.

You can buy this generic low cost decent quality star products kit that comes in a nice red plastic case and an assortment of fittings from toolsource.com and some other places.
You don't need anything else other than some mechanical common sense and the knowledge that is free on this forum.
They just go up in price around 5 bucks every year or two so...
Star Products , TU-14PB Fuel Injection Tester - Bosch C.I.S.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #526 (permalink)

PorscheMoparLiterbike

thanks Jim. Understood. Already have the tuning gauge kit. Haven't used it yet. In the middle of a major for me DIY. Engine transmission out trans rebuild cams clutch various seals leaks fixed injectors powder coating et cetera. without your experience and others on this forum never would be able to do it.I was thinking more of what Brian was doing with vacuum boost ,fuel pressures, afr, voltage as a permanent gauge installation would be cool.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #527 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Those JC Whitney guage sets are awesome! I've used mine for decades.
I do plan to make a few of my own design as they are very compact.

I've been crazy busy and haven't posted any progress of late.
The car was down for about a month to change the clutch AGAIN. Had to get that god forsaken Kennedy Engineering Stage 500 Lineman's Special out so my right knee might last me a few more years. Bought the old trusty Sachs Sport Clutch to replace it.
You'll love what happened next. The stupidsonofa***** sent the WRONG clutch. The car was torn down and the clutch was for a 915 not a Turbo. Got on the phone and while on hold had to listen to the "your parts are garanteed to fit" gingle 3 times before talking to a human. The human promptly told me I could not return the clutch as 30 days had lapsed. If I ever get to California I'm going to look him up.
Anywho, I said screw it and put a new stock clutch in and called it a month.

Got 'er out of the shop just in time for Martin's annual Octoberfest (Novemberfest this year).

Old 11-09-2013, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #528 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
You DON'T want THIS following you home!

Well we just can't seem to catch a break right now. Took the murdered slant on a shake down run to check out the new/old clutch and a few other fix-its that were done.
Good news - she runs like a scalded cat! This dude now has crazy power for a STOCK engine!
Bad news - THIS is what followed me home ...

Old 11-13-2013, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #529 (permalink)
Bad LT

I know your pain.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #530 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Well I got up under it and the cylinders are dry - VERY good news. I'm thinking we blew a gasket or popped an oil line fitting, something like that. I lost about a quart of oil, sure made a mess! Could be the tire spin I got when I jumped on it in 1st gear was from oil on the treads, ha!
Old 11-13-2013, 09:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #531 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Took the ride of shame today back to the shop.

Looks like the culprit is a bad turbo oil pump seal; the one that was just installed.
We are seeing many counterfeit parts and gaskets on the market now and also many name-brand parts and gaskets that are subcontracting to Asia. Replacing the $10 seal that may have caused this mess would be billed out at $100/hr; NOT something most would find tolerable! This is something difficult to protect yourself from. We'll inspect the seal and determine if it was faulty or there was installation error (I cannot imagine that but must be objective) and let you all know the outcome.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #532 (permalink)

Garage
While you are at it, slap on some of that stainless goodness you got in stock. You are torturing that poor lady with the stock system.

www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 11-14-2013, 09:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #533 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
That scavenge pump area has been really frustrating for me but mine is modded and somehow leaks.
Man that car looks cool.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #534 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsveb View Post
While you are at it, slap on some of that stainless goodness you got in stock. You are torturing that poor lady with the stock system.

Agreed, what the heck?
Old 11-14-2013, 09:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #535 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
The original turbo oil pump had a stripped inlet fitting that looked to have been leaking for years. If that is your issue the pump can be helicoiled. I was lucky to have a spare laying around.
There are still a few hoses and gaskets that need replaced. We haven't done that yet as they will have to be replaced when the engine is modded. It is very obvious to us that cars stored for years require a complete teardown and reseal if you want to make them reliable. Every hose and oil line (rubber part) must be replaced. Every system must be addressed.

Patience on the mods, they will come, ha!
We have tweeked the stock engine to performance levels I didn't know possible. I want to get this car on a dyno and record what we have before modding. Also want to do a GoPro as I regret not having video on the Red Rocket.
Plans are to finish up testing a couple skunkwerks priojects then "go big" with the stainless. I'd like to hit 500 ft/lb of torque on CIS.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #536 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Looks like the culprit is a bad turbo oil pump seal; the one that was just installed.
We are seeing many counterfeit parts and gaskets on the market now and also many name-brand parts and gaskets that are subcontracting to Asia. This is something difficult to protect yourself from.
This is something that's going around like the plague. Many of us have seen seal and/or gasket failures due to counterfeit or poorly made parts subcontracted to Asia.

Never quite understood the logic, if you're tooling-up to produce a product, what's the added effort in producing it correctly down to the last .001ths.
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 11-15-2013, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #537 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
I'd like to hit 500 ft/lb of torque on CIS.
I'm with you... you go first and I'm second in line.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #538 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Antonett View Post
I'm with you... you go first and I'm second in line.
Yeah then pull it out replace all the broken rings replate the scored cylinders and swap it to EFI!!
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
2019 Silverado 6.2L
Old 11-15-2013, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #539 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
There will be no broken rings. Max boost will be 1.0 bar. AFR per cylinder will be balanced and not exceed 12.0:1 at redline. Those are the rules of engagement.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #540 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: