Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.25 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
i know you guys like Zymol, but i tried this stuff called Leather Honey and was very happy with it. brings back that soft feel and a nice look to dried out leather. NIce car!
15 Ram Eco Diesel
Old 11-29-2011, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
OK fellas it's time to see what we're working with here.
What you've seen so far is the good, now time for the ugly. We'll start with the body.

There is a nickel sized chip in the corner of the hood that is bare metal and rusted.
I'm no body man, how do I fix this?
You can see in this picture how dirty the paint is.

This is the worst spot on the car. The PO scraped the barn door getting the car out. Put a nice rash on the fender and pushed it in a touch at the bottom. This needs to go to a body shop.
Stupid question - can the paint be buffed out or is that a waste of time?

Old 11-29-2011, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Garage
Brian if you can run your fingernail gently across the area in question and it goes in, you may need to paint. It appears from the photo that it maybe in the clear only and a decent final cut like 3m should be able to remedy the problem.
"the 930 is THE CAR that started my PORSCHE love affair..." Magnus Walker
Old 11-29-2011, 08:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Bri:

God, I love that color !!!! Can't wait to see it done. I wish you were closer I
have a good friend that is an artist with paint and body. He did the paint on a
runner up winner for best paint at the SEMA Show in Vegas. He could do that and
you would never find it.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Garage
Nice find ,Brian.
Congrats and enjoy.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Garage
So, you finally bought a 930 you have been dreaming about for years! Looks like a great car to start with. You'll be surprised how well you can bring the paint back using suggestions posted above. Also, you may want to post questions about how to stop and treat spot rust on the hood at the body forum.

Can't wait to see the progress and mods on your new 930. It's gonna be fun watching this.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Good idea to hit the paint & body forum, I've never been over there.
Yes I believe this car has huge potential as it is not too far gone right now. Everything appears to be cosmetic with no show-stoppers so far. I haven't put the car on the lift yet but will have to do that very soon as the rear shocks are completely shot and will need replaced before I drive it.

Yes I am so excited to have fallen into this particular 930! I can't believe it has the combo of things I desired at a price I could afford; and it's not a junker. A friend has been after my red light weight 911SC chassis based turbo for some time but it looks like that deal may fall through. If so she will go to e-Bay. I'm going to miss that raw feel for certain. The engine in that car is one of those freakshow deals where it shouldn't make the power it does, but it does. I'm betting it will be much harder to spin the tires with the heavier '85.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Wayah Road Warrior

That looks to me like it will buff right out. BTDT that with several vehicles. Looks to be mostly residual garage paint and minor scratching to the clear coat.

At this point I think I would heed the advice of the collective and call in a professional detailer. It will be like you bought a new car.

Best money you can spend at this point in this car's life cycle.

Last edited by Shadetree930; 11-30-2011 at 07:43 AM..
Old 11-30-2011, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Infidel

Great colour, never been a fan of slants but it looks good in a dark colour! Hope it proves to be a good one for you!
87 930, 993 turbo engine, RS Tuning 520PS/515lbf-ft, Arrow Rods, ARP hardware, Solid lifters, G50-50, RS Flywheel, 890nm Sachs clutch, RSR coil overs all round, 993 C4 calipers front, 930 fronts on the rear, Ruf Speedlines.....
Old 540 BMW, XB12S Modified, for being a total hooligan
Old 11-30-2011, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
We had nice weather so I stole a couple hours today to begin exploring the new old car. Started off by washing it; man is this the dirtiest 930 I have ever seen! It is completely unknown to me how someone could neglect a car like this so badly. I don't think it has been cleaned in years. I have really got my work cut out for me. It is very obvious the owner simply drove the car and nothing else. I'm not fealing love for the mechanic that maintained it either. Thank God I did not attemp to drive this thing to AL from TX. The large oil line that goes from the oil tank to the oil cooler is dry rotted badly and one axle boot has been torn for a long time.

The engine is a dirty mess as well. I fully expect to find a mouse nest when I start taking it apart. Odly the engine seems to run well. I drove it up and down my road and it is very responsive. I'm going to like the 4spd once we get some power mods on.

The interior is equally neglected. Like a farm truck. Everything seems to work which I find amaizing. This interior is going to put detailing to the biggest test ever!

The sunroof is a problem that I'm going to need your help with. When I was washing the car this ling white rubber tube came out from behind the sunroof, you can see it laying on the floor in the interior shot. I carefully opened the sunroof to gain better access and removed it. The headliner on the sunroof is drooping and what is up with the puffy visors? Those gotta go! My SC does not have a sunroof so this is new territory to me. I have no idea how this contraption works. Please school me on repairing this gasket thingy.

The first mystery - what is this switch? It is 3 toggle switches mounted on top the console. What could this be?

And lastly I beat out the dent the old fella put in the fender good enough for now and test fit the Kodiacs that used to be on the Red Rocket to see if those bad boy 315's would fit. OH BABY I LIKE!

Old 12-03-2011, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Garage
Search on sunroof seals I documented an R&R a couple of years ago. Super easy for a guy of your skills. You definitely have your work cut out for you....
'73 911T Coupe (current)
'88 930S M505 (current)
Old 12-03-2011, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

It will be fun one day looking back at these pics once the car has been restored to its former glory!
Old 12-03-2011, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

"...When I was washing the car this ling white rubber tube came out from behind the sunroof..."
Got me...so I went out and took a look at my sunroof. All that's under there is where the headliner folds under the lip at the front, and the roof seals front and side. No funky thin white (or any color) rubber tube to be found. Maybe it just kinda "fell in there" when the sunroof was left open in the barn for the last few years.

what is up with the puffy visors?
Just consider them as bags under the eyes....she's tired, being neglected for so long. Buy new visors, or take them to an upholstery shop to be recovered or whatever they do.

what is this switch? It is 3 toggle switches mounted on top the console. What could this be?
I just love mystery switches. God only knows what it does. Fire her up, and switch the switch....see what happens. And what's that vertical roller switch thingy above the door lock warning light and between the AC controls? Nothing like that on my '87. I'm jealous....

About the dirt: Dirt is just dirt. Clean it, re-condition it, and all will be well. Despite the dirt, it sounds like everything is working and she runs fine. That is great testimony to German engineering. Even seriously neglected, she continues to live and breathe as a queen.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Garage
Brian, I just completed a full restoration on my 79 930.
Never saw anything like that white rubber from the sun roof.
I was thinking it may have a leak and he was trying to seal it up. (hope not)
Old 12-03-2011, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Brian,
Search on this thread for everything you ever wanted to know about our sunroofs (Sunroof cable repair and new seals 87 911). Easy as pie once you have everything in your hands with that thread open.
Come on Mark... that roller switch is for the uber awesome sound system that came stock on the 930. That is the front/rear balance adjustment. I have never seen one that still is hooked up in a few dozen cars :0
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 12-03-2011, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Brian, from looking at your key fob does the car have an aftermarket alarm? Maybe one of the mystery switches is the valet switch not so well hidden?
Old 12-03-2011, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSPTurtle View Post
Come on Mark... that roller switch is for the uber awesome sound system that came stock on the 930. That is the front/rear balance adjustment. I have never seen one that still is hooked up in a few dozen cars :0
Well there ya go...no wonder my stereo sounds like a 40's era Big Band in a can. They forgot the uber-mondo ass kicking awesome stereo system in my car. Must have been built in Germany on a Monday after a hard weekend....or, the vending machines ran out of beer that particular day.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Yes this thing has some goofball aftermarket alarm. The owner warned me about it. I plan to rip that crap out if it doesn't work perfectly.

The white rubber tube was inside the flelt strip at the back of the sunroof on the roof side. I was washing the roof and snagged the felt and out came this parasite looking thing. It wouldn't go back in so I pulled it out.

Yes dirt is dirt but DAYYAMMM! When was washing the car I popped the tail and MUD ran out from under the large black rubber gasket that the tail seals to when shut. I removed it and duched out the mess. Cleaning dirt and painting parts is just time but that's not something I have a lot of these days. Just have to remind myself this is an investment and it ain't going anywhere. I do plan to drive it while restoring so the enjoyment will be there.

Next is the engine. It leaks oil (of course) so I need to see where it's coming from and get it fixed. Probably take a fire hose to the thing to get the 30 years of gunk off the block. Fingers crossed that the engine doesn't have to come apart. If it does the mechanic that works with me on exhaust installs will get that fun task as I don't begin to have time to rebuild an engine.

What's the saying? Be careful what you wish for? HA! It'll be a fun journey. I didn't pay much for the car so I can't get to worked up about it. With all your help we'll restore her to the exotic she was in the 80's!
Old 12-03-2011, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)
I've gone native

All things considered, looks like a decent car. Mind sharing what kinda deal did you get on the beast.
Look forward to the progress.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Ever watch the movie No Man's Land?

Referencing the alarm system in a Porsche.....and deciding not to steal it.

"Clifford, too tough". Hard to tell from the back but looks like a Clifford Alarm system from the FOB.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: