Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.25 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

The white piping is probably the "stuffing" from the sunroof seal. Did it go flat where you pulled it out?
$30 from our host, some 3M black weatherstrip adhesive and about 30 minutes and you will be good to go. Plus they look cool when new
Old 12-04-2011, 03:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Yes the white rubber hose was incased in the felt. The felt probably disentegrated when soap & water hit it for the first time ever. I really cringed when I hit the button to open the sunroof as I had no idea what to expect. Kind of like when Indiana Jones hit the stone switch that opens a secret passage after 3000 years. Amaizing that it actually worked. I'm sure the assembly needs lubricated. This little project will have to wait as there are more pressing issues.

The alarm appears to be quite elaborate. There are little red lights on the door locks and this odd looking thingy above the rear view mirror. I hit the red botton on the console that has a picture of a key on it and both doors locked. Why do you need that when you're in the car? I hit it again to unlock and nothing happened. No idea what this thing is for.
The sterio looks pretty complicated as well with the fader control on the console. Factory built in speakers are nice.
Gotta admit it's kindof fun exploring all this stuff. My widebody SC is a factory delete car with zero elecrical anything, delete A/C and delete sunroof, rollup windows and manual door locks and mirrors. Couldn't be any different.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)
River Rat

Brian,

Nice car ... Rather than clean the interior, I would suggest the following:

1 - find some nice used stock seats
2 - replace the carpeting with an RS kit
3 - replace the door panels with RS type

I'll bet you could do the above for about $1-1.5k and you'd have a new interior.

Regards, Dave
1986 930 - K27-7200, Andial Intercooler, Tial Wastegate, Electronic Boost Controller, B&B headers, Bodart Zork, Leask Adjustable WUR, Full Elephant Racing Suspension w/Adustable Spring Plates and Von Shocks, Wevo Transmission Mounts, Fuel Safe Fuel Cell, Forgelines (9"/11"), Hargett Shifter, Innovate AFR, Cobra CF Seats, DAS Rollbar, Coleman Floating Rotors, Lightweight Interior, Forgeline 17" x 9"/11", 2800 lbs.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

Garage
Yes Brian,
The white tube is just what keeps the black felt "seal" nice and round. To replace it, you need to pull the sunroof pad down and unscrew the sunroof and lift it up, it is not a big job. It is explained in Wayne's 101 projects for your 911 and in this forum. While you are in there, replace the rear seal as well and the sliders.
Nice car and enjoy it!!!
1985 Black 930, K27 7006, Garretson Intercooler, Adj boost, TB: 23 - 31mm, bielstein sport shocks, ER polybronze bushings front and rear, ER monoball joints front and rear with offset camber plates, 935 X triangulated strut brace, raised spindles, racing bump steer kit
1981 Black 911sc (sold)
Old 12-04-2011, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

The interior is actually in good shape, it just needs alot of TLC and time put into it.
The foam rubber in the dashboard isn't all swollen up above the AC vent from being parked in the hot sun for 3 decades and thats a very good thing.

I don't see any rips or holes in the leather seats or door panels so with 2-3 gallons of wash laquer thinner (it's alot cheaper to buy a 5 gallon bucket in the long run), a whole bunch of clean terry cloth rags and elbow grease you could strip most of the old dye off until you begin to see light brown leather underneath, let it dry according to instructions and then brush on a liberal coat of leather rejuvenator oil that is actually water based, let it soak in and dry, clean any residual oil off the surface and then dye the leather interior with a good 1" artists paint brush and water based polymer leatherique leather dye. Home Page | Leatherique Restoration Products

While thats drying take out all the carpet that looks OK but really dirty and wash the sections with no padding attached on the back in a washing machine with Tide detergent for two gentle cycles and then the clothes dryer on medium heat to dry and fluff it up again. some sections of carpet like the center tunnel piece have pading on the back a washing machine may tear that up so you can wash them in a bathtub by hand or with your feet with plenty of Tide detergent.
It's amazing how much dirt comes out of the carpet like that.

Then glue it back in with contact cement where it gets glued and the existing interior will look like new or real close to it for around $150 in materials from leatherique and fast evaporating inexpensive wash grade laquer thinner from a marine or autobody shop supply store.

If doing this wear long black neoprene gloves so the laquer thinner doesn't soak into your skin and damage your health. The leather dye stripping process takes time but it's worth the effort when you're all done and the interior looks and feels like new.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roby466 View Post
Yes Brian,
The white tube is just what keeps the black felt "seal" nice and round. To replace it, you need to pull the sunroof pad down and unscrew the sunroof and lift it up, it is not a big job. It is explained in Wayne's 101 projects for your 911 and in this forum. While you are in there, replace the rear seal as well and the sliders.
Nice car and enjoy it!!!
Once you've done that you can fix a sunroof in any old BMW or Mercedes too... they're all the same and made by the same company.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I'm afraid this car is not going down the light weight road Dave. I've done that with the Widebody SC power delete option car. It's a lot of fun to drive but not so much fun to live with every day. I want a car my wife can jump in and drive or we can visit the mountains in. I owe a lot of folks a Dragon run and plan to do it in this car. The interior will stay stock.

I've got Wayne's book but never turned the page on repairing the sunroof. Looks like I'll get more use out of this book now!

Thank you Jim for the suggestions. My time is so limited that this is not possible for me right now. I think what I'll do is clean and condition everything the best I can and see what it looks like. Anything that is brittle will be tossed and replaced with new. I'd like some nicer seats so those may be tossed.
I don't know what condition the carpet is in yet but if it is brittle it will be tossed. The saving grace for this car is it must have been stored in a shed all of it's Texas life. The sun would have just destroyed it otherwise. Re-painting the slightly rusted engine metal parts is a worthy price to pay compared to faded paint, cracked dashes and the host of other ailments that go with heat stroke.
I'm making my Pelican list now, hood and decklid struts, all the rubber hoses, and likely a bunch of gaskets.

Last edited by RarlyL8; 12-04-2011 at 06:44 PM..
Old 12-04-2011, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
Good plan, Brian. The best thing that you can do at this point is clean it up, perform the deferred maintenance and live with it for a season before you decide on which direction to take it.
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 12-04-2011, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)
I've gone native

If it seems like too much of a restoration project, one could always pump it down the road and find another 930 needing less 'cleanup' for similar money.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I'll likely never find a 930 in any better shape for the money. This is the car I want, it'll just take some time to get it back to nice. I'll enjoy it along the way and together we will have fun bringing it back.

Guess what WON'T be going back on the engine:

Now for the engine. Good news is I haven't found any indication of rodents, just a few twigs and spiders. The BOV is shot but I plan to replace that with a 965 unit so not a problem. We'll just get it cleaned up for now and see what shakes out with time. Looks like it hasn't seen a tune up since the Reagan era. The coil looks new and the intercooler has newish o-rings, even though it is full of oily goo. Mechanic said it was serviced regularly ... Ooooh Kay.

CIS tip of the day: if you overfill your oil and it pukes into your intake CLEAN THE AIR METER PLATE.

Final for today is this curiosity. I've heard of silver crests but I've never seen one. This looks great on the car but is it stock?

Please don't get me wrong, I'm picking at the car because it was a bit misrepresented by the seller and mechanic. It's a great foundation and even if it needs a full engine rebuild I'll still come out OK. The car has great potential and I really like it!
Old 12-04-2011, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Took a break from the shop today and put a little more time into the slant. Douched the intercooler with gas to clean it out and plopped on a temporary tiny used air filter, that mailbox ain't goin' back on.

When I got the car it had a real bad case of droopy butt that needed fixed before it could be driven much. These shocks are hight adjustable so I put it where I think it looks good. She's coming along.

I tried out the lights today and everything works except the passenger's side driving light. I did notice that when I hit the light switch all the instruments twitched and the fuel gage jumped up to read higher. When the lights were turned off the gages twitched again and the fuel gage went back to where it was previously. what is that?

Went for a long drive round and round the neighborhood. The engine really seems to run well, it is strong sounds very good and is smooth. The valves don't clatter abnormally which is a miracle as it doesn't look like the valve covers have ever been off this engine. The oil sending unit is leaking badly dripping oil everywhere, got to fix that.
The right rear wheel is making a scrapping noise occasionally, I can't figure out what is causing it. Cole told me it could be the brakes hanging up but when I push the brakes it does not stop. It is an intermittent sound that comes and goes. Any ideas?
This car has brakes from hell! I'm used to my stock SC brakes in the Posermobile, these things will send your teeth through the windshield. Awesome!
Old 12-11-2011, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

Garage
Looks nice. About the brakes, maybe just the dust shield occasionally touching the discs. I have tried this once.
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 12-11-2011, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Garage
could the noise your experiencing with your wheel be the hand brake?, does it go away if the handbrake is pulled on lightly?
Old 12-11-2011, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)

Bri:

Man that's one awesome example, can't wait to see the finished product.
Those Kodiac's are really going to look good on there. You've got to be one
happy camper !!!!

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

I had a bad wheel bearing once that made a grumble every once in awhile. I would not describe it as a "scrape" though... definitely a grumble. (Don't you love internet diagnostics )
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 12-11-2011, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Thanks all. This is definitely a scraping sound, like metal on metal. It comes and goes with no rhyme or reason. I'm going to pull the wheel when I get a chance and get a better look. I pulled the wheel once and couldn't get it to squeak.

Great news is the engine really seems to run well. I did a couple of light pulls and boost comes in at a horrifyingly stock 4200rpm. My headers and a 7200 will get that down to a more reasonable 2700rpm. She pulls pretty good for a stocker, I've driven a few and man are they dogs. I don't know how anyone could wrap one of these around a tree unless it is just the tiny tires.

Tranny shifts pretty good but pops out of 2nd if I don't get it just right. I haven't looked at the shifter coulple yet but suspect it is proably wallowed out.
I like the gearing. 60mph is 2200rpm in 4th, is that about right?

Bad news on the Kodiaks, the front wheels don't fit. I don't understand this as they fit my SC perfectly and I've has 2 other sets of 930 wheels on the SC that also fit perfectly. They stick out about 3/4" on this car! Did Porsche change the front hubs on the 930 after 1979?
The rear wheels fit perfectly. I'm so bummed as these wheels look great on the car. I'm going to see if the back can be machined down 3/4".

Old 12-11-2011, 08:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)
Registered Driver

Garage
Yes there are 2 different types of front hubs on the 930s - one for fixed rotors and one for floating (floating uses a factory spacer).
Old 12-11-2011, 09:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

Brian, that's a good looking 930. I recently had the scraping noise coming from one of my rear brakes. It ended up being a broken E-brake shoe retainer spring. It was an easy fix. Enjoy the 930 and I can't wait to see what you do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Took a break from the shop today and put a little more time into the slant. Douched the intercooler with gas to clean it out and plopped on a temporary tiny used air filter, that mailbox ain't goin' back on.

When I got the car it had a real bad case of droopy butt that needed fixed before it could be driven much. These shocks are hight adjustable so I put it where I think it looks good. She's coming along.

I tried out the lights today and everything works except the passenger's side driving light. I did notice that when I hit the light switch all the instruments twitched and the fuel gage jumped up to read higher. When the lights were turned off the gages twitched again and the fuel gage went back to where it was previously. what is that?

Went for a long drive round and round the neighborhood. The engine really seems to run well, it is strong sounds very good and is smooth. The valves don't clatter abnormally which is a miracle as it doesn't look like the valve covers have ever been off this engine. The oil sending unit is leaking badly dripping oil everywhere, got to fix that.
The right rear wheel is making a scrapping noise occasionally, I can't figure out what is causing it. Cole told me it could be the brakes hanging up but when I push the brakes it does not stop. It is an intermittent sound that comes and goes. Any ideas?
This car has brakes from hell! I'm used to my stock SC brakes in the Posermobile, these things will send your teeth through the windshield. Awesome!
Old 12-11-2011, 11:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)
Aircooled Breakfast

Good looking car Brian! It's lucky to have you as its new steward.

I would second 5.7 GT1's suspicion that your scraping noise could be an emergency brake. My '86 showed up with pretty much the exact symptoms you describe and it was a broken retainer spring.

John
Old 12-12-2011, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post

Brian,
Can you tell me the size of that air cleaner? I mean the diameter and height? Do you have rubbing issues with the CIS fuel adjustment rod that sticks up on the fuel head.....it looks awful close to the filter walls.

I am looking at replacing my barn door as well to make access to the WUR and valves on that side easier.

Thanks,
Fred
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 12-12-2011, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: